November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Marking a GSI Cascadian Mug
Display Avatars Sort By:
Keith Silver
(ksilver) - MLife

Locale: North East
Marking a GSI Cascadian Mug on 08/11/2012 08:50:31 MDT Print View

I recently bought a GSI Cascadian mug and one thing it's missing is measurement graduations. BPL has a review of the cup which apparently does have measurement markings on it. Does anybody have any ideas as to how to mark the inside of the mug with 1/2 cup, 1 cup, etc? It's not quite translucent enough to see the liquid level from the outside so I can't mark the outside. It's made out of polypropylene so a regular magic marker probably won't stick and might be toxic anyways. I was thinking of melting lines in it with a soldering iron or touching it with a dremel grinding wheel to carve a slight groove. Neither of these would be a good contrast. Thoughts?

Stephen P
(spavlock) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Re: Marking a GSI Cascadian Mug on 08/11/2012 18:02:53 MDT Print View

A light touch with a Dremel is what I would do. I mark my cheap aluminum pots that way. How many oz does it hold? 12? If it's that small of a cup then why not just eyeball the measurements?

Simon Wurster
(Einstein) - F

Locale: Big Apple
Re: Marking a GSI Cascadian Mug on 08/12/2012 12:53:12 MDT Print View

Another idea is to mark a utensil instead of the pot: place the utensil in the pot (usually at a diagonal) add water in desired increments and draw a line on the utensil . In the field, repeat the process and use the lines to match the desired volume.

Keith Silver
(ksilver) - MLife

Locale: North East
marking utensil on 08/12/2012 13:53:45 MDT Print View

That's a good idea. Just have to remember which utensil goes with which pot. (-:

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Marking mugs on 08/12/2012 15:31:49 MDT Print View

I have used a Sharpie to mark mine (let it dry well after marking) but it will slowly fade over time. I have also used a diamond awl to scratch marks in some. I mark them at 1-1/2, 2, and 2-1/2 cups.