Forum Index » Chaff » The I used to be a member but now I'm not celebration thread.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/12/2012 19:38:25 MDT Print View

Just speaking my point of view RS.... I am not piling on you, just noting said behavior. Let me ask you this, with your post, what kind of response were you thinking you were going to get? A pat on the back or were you to be vilified...just curious. You seem to be quite sensitive because I have seen you attack two others. It's that or man, you have very "thin" skin.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
The I used to be a member but now I'm not celebration thread. on 08/12/2012 19:40:30 MDT Print View

It's true.
I sent Helwig a PM.
He was rightly offended that I implied he was a drunk. It was a baseless accusation with no history or such to back it up.
I offered to host a private retreat in California, where we could discuss issues he raised in his PMs.

I thought we understood each other. Apparently not. He keeps dragging this up. Obviously an invitation to be ignored through email and an opportunity for a vacation didn't satisfy him enough.

Edited by redmonk on 08/12/2012 19:48:56 MDT.

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn)

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains
Re: Re on 08/12/2012 19:51:22 MDT Print View

I've been a member for several years and I can definitely tell that the content is not what it was in the past. The only reason I renewed was because of the forum and what I learn from other members. Trip reports, techniques, etc.

In all honesty I don't think their is much room to materially improve the gear. I mean how much lighter can a rain jacket, shelter, sleeping bag/shelter, stove, pot, sleeping pad, etc get. Sure they will cut a couple ozs, but that really doesn't materially impact your hiking performance. At some point they run out of ozs to cut. In all honesty I doubt that a couple extra pounds would have any impact on your performance. I just think the topics for gear reviews are just fewer than in the past. Not RJ's fault.

I wonder sometimes if the goal is to see how light you can get your gear list so you can brag or is your objective to get lighter to hike better and further. Mike C. has done a great job in getting me to re think everything, but I still prioritize things that are important to me.

IMHO it's about the adventure and not the gear. I think the site is just transitioning to more of a forum and I would gladly pay the small cost to continue my access to the community of fantastic people who share my passion for the outdoors.

Brad

Edited by wufpackfn on 08/12/2012 19:52:34 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re on 08/12/2012 20:37:13 MDT Print View

Hey Cameron, thanks for owning up to you BS pm to me. 2 months later and a half apology. For what it is worth Cameron, I don't drink much...I am a diabetic...tough to do my friend. But hey, I accept you half apology (pfffffffttttttttt). Would you like for me to share with others what you pm'd me??? And your second pm asking for a "meeting" was completely BS and YOU know it. I saved the Pm's son. Ken stated that I outed you (paraphrasing so please do not take me to task :) ). What you insinuated whas wrong, faceless, and quite mean. You barely know me. Would you like for me to discuss openly your vices? My point was, and PLEASE read what I wrote, is that YOU do not contribute anything other than a barb here or there, nothing more nothing less. You complain about things here, but rarely contribute...sad....so sad. BTW, I take your apology with a grain of sarcasm....Dude, you have some growing up to do. Not only was your pm OUT OF LINE, but quite false and Libelous. Get over yourself...you over over compensating for deficiencies in your life. I will take you up on your offer to have a meeting...NO issue there at all. Shame on you.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
BPL is lacking on 08/12/2012 20:43:08 MDT Print View

The articles posted by BPL lately are lucky to get 20 comments. Crap like this in Chaff goes on forever. This shows something. I'm just not sure what.

Good post Brad.

Edited by kthompson on 08/12/2012 20:50:31 MDT.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

Locale: Cascadia
forever on 08/12/2012 20:53:00 MDT Print View

Hey, are you knocking the CF War? LOL. I think I'll move over here. This thread loads faster.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: forever on 08/12/2012 20:57:13 MDT Print View

How much heat has the CF War added to the environment? It's a classic. Haven't posted there in ages.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: forever on 08/12/2012 21:07:33 MDT Print View

"It's true.
I sent Helwig a PM.
He was rightly offended that I implied he was a drunk. It was a baseless accusation with no history or such to back it up.
I offered to host a private retreat in California, where we could discuss issues he raised in his PMs.

I thought we understood each other. Apparently not. He keeps dragging this up. Obviously an invitation to be ignored through email and an opportunity for a vacation didn't satisfy him enough."

When have I brought this up? Please point this out. As you and I have never publicly discussed this...or for that fact, in pm? My Pm's? I responded to you twice. Once asking for an apology, the second time asking what your point was in your "retreat". Not once have I pm'd YOU discussing issues with BPL...NEVER. Please produce those...interesting. Vacation? What vacation? You live 50 miles north of me. Why would I vacation with you? Delusional my friend. Please don't play the passive/aggressive game....it does not wear well. You have nothing to offer other than smart alec responses. I would use another word other than "alec" but the profanity filter here is beyond ridiculous. Cameron, time to grow up please.

and for the sake of continuity....I have those pm's to produce if you would like for me to. Game on little boy

Edited by kennyhel77 on 08/12/2012 21:09:20 MDT.

R S
(rps76) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/12/2012 21:46:46 MDT Print View

Ken Helwig....to be quite honest, I started this thread just to PISS people off. I expected the remarks that I got. There I said it. That's what most people think, so I'm going with it.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/12/2012 21:54:12 MDT Print View

Fair enough RS...just don't expect a lot of support.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: The I used to be a member but now I'm not celebration thread. on 08/12/2012 21:55:05 MDT Print View

THE END

Please.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/13/2012 22:35:56 MDT Print View

Agree completely with Matthew Edwards page 1 post. All of you that don't want to pay should not renew and move on. The near constant whining about some service you were promised but not delivered is really getting old. The value of this site is not RJ but the forum. The articles are a modest value at best. My opinions

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/13/2012 23:38:44 MDT Print View

Randy:

The bickering among members has been going on for a long time -- and IMO, has driven away a lot of traffic!

My view -- if this thread wasn't here, then all these bickering posts would have just gone onto the near-senseless carbon thread.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Right to complain. on 08/14/2012 06:36:19 MDT Print View

We all know that the forums are the best thing going. No argument there.

Well the thread seemed to me to start off being about why someone would not renew. Sure was going to get negative responses. Its' Chaff. What do think was going to happen?

It's in Chaff so any topic goes.

From RJ here is a list of other suitable topics.

1. the ethics of cell phone use.
2. the ethics of pepper spray use.
3. guns in the backcountry.
4. G-Dub.
5. whether or not dogs should be allowed in the Yellowstone backcountry.
6. Blue v. yellow v. white v. pink blazing any trail.

I think blogs have driven away more traffic than anything else. Some really good ones out there. Plus if you look at the comments per article that BPL is putting out get few responses these days. RJ has also stated that growth continues, but only 20% of MLifers participate or even read the forums. Plus it's summer, people are out.

Those MLifers complaints. Yes we are all sick of the BS. But we still have the right to discuss them here. Want to hear about it or not, people were wronged. People who can't not renew in protest(paid for a lifetime). Don't want to read about it. Then don't. I don't read the Carbon Flame War, easy.

Thanks to all the forum parents out there who feel that they can tell the others what topics are fit for discussion, especially in Chaff. You're being a bossy know it all. Everyone's favorite personality type.

Who needs to get out?

RS wanted to get some of you in a wad. Worked.

This thread will fade into oblivion if people stop posting to it.

Concentrate on what really matters people. Honesty, integrity, love someone. Be happy.

Blogs are the biggest risk to BPL. Not this bone of contention. Septemberfest and two GGGs coming up. Come out and meet us in the flesh. Always a good time with NO BS.

Edited by kthompson on 08/14/2012 07:03:20 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Right to complain. on 08/14/2012 17:03:36 MDT Print View

glug glug

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
wow on 08/14/2012 18:01:34 MDT Print View

I know that I might step on some toes here but I find it strange and surprising that so much anger and spite can come from a forum like this. I mean, you would think that people who spend so much time outdoors would be more chill, relaxed, and at peace (oooh that's hippy talk!).

Just an observation from a person who hasn't paid for a subscription and if I offend anyone...I apologize. Perhaps, we all need to get out more?

Ryan Tucker
(BeartoothTucker) - M
MLIFE on 08/14/2012 19:25:36 MDT Print View

Is it possible to give up your MLIFE status? Without expecting any refund.

Kathy A Handyside
(earlymusicus) - M

Locale: Southeastern Michigan
Re: The I used to be a member.... on 08/15/2012 01:31:00 MDT Print View

I really don't see what the purpose was of RS's original post. If you didn't renew, so what? Why tell us? It's about as pointless as someone posting, "I didn't have spaghetti for dinner last night."

I haven't been posting here for very long - I've only been a member of BPL for a couple of years now and mostly just read the articles and posted comments there. I've enjoyed my membership and have learned a lot. I do miss Ryan Jordan's input and I miss the online store. There were several things I would have liked to order from the store but at the time, I couldn't afford it. I wish it were financially feasible for BPL to be a print publication, but all in all, I'm satisfied with what I've received from my membership.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Very disappointing! on 08/15/2012 06:13:54 MDT Print View

It amazing that in a few short months we could go from sitting around a camp fire at Coe to this petty bickering. It's very sad.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: forever on 08/15/2012 14:35:58 MDT Print View

"Hey, are you knocking the CF War? LOL. I think I'll move over here. This thread loads faster."

LMAO That is funny!

Hey, there is an ultralight hunting ethics thread, too. Could be interesting. Maybe somebody start a "Ultralight Abortion" thread as well?