The I used to be a member but now I'm not celebration thread.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Yea you paid.. on 08/12/2012 08:24:28 MDT Print View

"I also agree with Matt's comments.

RJ is no longer the driving force here. I have been around from the beginning and if he and Alan Dixon still wrote all the articles it would be a different story but they don't anymore. On the paid content side if we p!ss off Roger and others then there will be no good content anymore. I find the quality of the articles just as good, if not better than the early years. Sure I have been on the trails for 4 decades but it doesn't mean I have been exposed to everything or don't want to read about it again. I don't go to the movies so my entertainment $ are spent in places like this instead. The M-Life membership investment was strictly a way to save money in the long run. I mean I still get Backpacker magazine but only for less than $10 a year, it's entertainment and every once in a while a nugget of new info.

As to the forums, while UL is discussed in other forums, you have to be kidding me in trying to compare the amount, quality and knowledge in those places with the volume and depth here. Sure I wish they were organized better and easier to use but there is no comparable anywhere on the intertubes, paid or not. Investment can be both in contributions of time and knowledge to the discussions here and in $ to keep the lights on."

Agree Alex

Edited by kennyhel77 on 08/12/2012 08:28:54 MDT.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/12/2012 09:27:10 MDT Print View

The new articles to be very interesting in terms of the scientific detail or getting into the details of distant trails.

This as a long-time subscriber to Backpacker, Outside, etc.., which have pretty pictures + good generalist articles for inspiration while waiting at the airport, ... but aren't really in depth like the ongoing series on water treatment here on BPL. Of course, nothing compares to actually getting out there, meeting some other BPLer's in the field ... and realizing an old dog may need some new tricks.

R S
(rps76) - F
Re: Re: Re: The I used to be a member but now I'm not celebration thread. on 08/12/2012 16:04:23 MDT Print View

Aaron: I appreciate your comments. I also applaud your ability to judge a person from a single public forum post. I understand that you are this big, bad, holier than thou, ultralight backpacker and all. Great. Awesome. I'm just going to go out and call the kettle black by saying from your single post, I truly think you may be an a**hole. =) Sad thing is, doing a little internet search, it seems as if I am not the only one that thinks that.

Now, for something in regards to the matter: to each his or her own. I made a statement. There is no reason to call me a moron, say I'm a freeloader, or anything of the sort.

Edited by rps76 on 08/12/2012 16:07:08 MDT.

R S
(rps76) - F
Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/12/2012 16:27:02 MDT Print View

To Matthew: You asked for reasons as to why I didn't renew. Where here ya go.

1) The articles aren't really that interesting. I really could care less about scientific statistics of this material or that material. Trip reports are trip reports. I walked here, camped there, my cuben fiber mid/diamond/tarp/tarp tent/shelter/poncho was pitched like this and it worked or sucked. As for articles in regard to lighter gear, I'm set with my gear list and am no longer hell bent on trying to find the lightest thing just to get my base weight under a certain weight.
2) Gear reviews are lacking and/or uninteresting. It's the same thing with every pack. Either this could be better or that could be removed.
3) I don't have anything I need/want to sell or buy so I don't need to use the Gear Swap forum.
4) As mentioned before, my gear list, I am set with what I need. Yes, I got a lot of great advice from the forums (which are free anyways), but again, I'm no longer obsessed with my weight. Woop de! You have a 2.1 lb base weight. Awesome. I don't care.
5) In regards to the forums (which are free), I really don't even post there anymore. It's honestly the same questions asked or topics talked about over and over again. Not saying that's a bad thing, but to me it's not interesting.
6) I got absolutely NOTHING from the Members Only forum. Besides reading Ken's call outs to Ryan, it's a pretty much worthless forum. God only knows what you MLife members talk about in the MLife Only forum. I'm sure it's some pretty interesting stuff.
7) Give me one good reason as to why I should give RJ any money. From what I've read, nobody really knows where their money is going.

Now in regards to your very mature statements made in your original post:

1) I didn't say a darn thing about being ripped off. Nowhere. Lay off whatever you're smoking big guy. It's making you see things.
2) What did I expect? Nothing. I bought a membership, there was no benefit of being a member, so I didn't renew.
3) You're darn right I've spent more than $100 on beers. But I sure as hell didn't spend $100 on an MLife membership. But, tonight, I'm going to spend the $20 I saved by not renewing my membership on a few beers. I might even send out a virtual cheers to you! For being awesome! Yes buddy, that's right, cheers to you. Glug glug.
4) Freaky weird zombie follower behavior? WTF?

Sincerely, The retard that started this stupid, idiotic thread.

PS. How is d**n "profanity"?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/12/2012 16:47:04 MDT Print View

Wow RS....seems you are behaving rather poorly now aren't you? Some of the statements were not directly pointed at you. Rather in a conversation between all of those that have posted.

If you feel the need to not post on here that much anymore or have garnered all the information that you need, then why the original post? Seems to me that you are aching for a fight.

John S.
(jshann) - F
glug glug on 08/12/2012 16:53:03 MDT Print View

RS, LOL at the glug glug : ).

Edited by jshann on 08/12/2012 16:53:34 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/12/2012 17:06:21 MDT Print View

Ben Tang. (edited out my error)

Ken Helwig You were not going to renew either were you? You said you were sick of all this and were done posting. Then were gifted the MLife.

Matthew. A slight condescending tone don't you think? That beer will be so good.

Alex. Roger does it all for free. So where does the money go? If I was getting the annual report I paid for I could tell you.

It is Chaff. Wear your thick skin or don't play.

I paid for my MLife. I paid for the opportunity to become more involved in BPL as the opportunity was promised. Terms were changed without notice. Information and opportunities lost.

RS has the right to voice his opinion. The name calling from some is expected. Violence and name calling are the answers found by the immature mind.

I've been there. NO ONE is perfect. NOT even you.

Glug, glug. I'll have another.

Edited by kthompson on 08/12/2012 17:39:53 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/12/2012 17:14:57 MDT Print View

Ken, I think you have your timeline confused on me. I did not re-up my M because I could not AFFORD to at the time. I never said I was walking away. I did say that with all this BS that I have grown increasingly tired of the discourse that has gone on. This was recent. My MLIFE was gifted to me a few years ago. If RS does not get anything out of BPL then why even bother posting? Or even coming here. I don't need a moral compass thank you.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/12/2012 17:19:05 MDT Print View

@ Ken Thompson -

"Ben Tang. Long time as a guest before getting a membership. Why did you finally get one?"

WRONG. Signed up and renewed annual membership for years before converting to Lifetime membership. In any case, where on this thread was I bitching about BPL? You're barking up the wrong tree, BITCH! (Upper Case NOT for emphasis -- but to evade forum filter.)

Edited by ben2world on 08/12/2012 17:40:13 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/12/2012 17:38:21 MDT Print View

Well Ben I am mistaken and meant no insult. My apologies. I always had it in my head that you were a guest for several years before getting a membership. Weird. Did you always look at the MLife as a long term subscription money saving deal, or were you interested in any of the things that were offered but never materialized?

You were lamenting the lack of Chaff lately...

Edited by kthompson on 08/12/2012 17:38:58 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/12/2012 17:55:30 MDT Print View

Ken:

My "fiery retort" was done partly in jest.

I don't fancy myself as an overly generous person, but I'm also not one to take advantage of others. So probably just a few months (maybe less) after discovering BPL, I started paying in. The annual membership was pretty darn reasonable, I thought, as was the Life membership when that came into being.

As a newbie back in 2004, I benefited a lot from both the articles as well as the forum. But,really, backpacking is not that complicated. Most people come up the learning curve quite nicely after a bit of reading and esp. after a couple of hikes. I used to find almost every article "exciting" -- esp. the Outoor Retailer reports!! I don't anymore, but that's more because I have seen enough, and I have gotten my own system 'dialed in'. Now, most new gear don't seem all that new to me anymore. That's just the nature of the beast -- and NOT BPL's fault.

I still come to the forum to chat. I find it nice that the forum is open to everyone, and not just to members. I like it this way.

Two things that BPL staffers can improve on: there's a ton of excellent resources accumulated here -- excellent articles and forum advice. Would be nice if someone can sort the articles in a better way -- to help newbies find their way quickly. And on the forum side -- for pete's sake -- add a REAL search function!

Edited by ben2world on 08/12/2012 18:12:14 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/12/2012 18:05:54 MDT Print View

@Ken Guess I am confused by this. My bad.

"Going back to what I posted earlier a few months ago, I won't be around much longer, and it is because of the antagonistic and baiting approach that has happened. It is not the way I do things..."

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/12/2012 18:23:38 MDT Print View

Ken that stands true. I don't post on here as often. I do find this whole campaign rather frustrating. I am here to help out, give advice, see some nice trip reports see new gear at the Outdoor Retailer, etc.....Kinda like what Ben stated. I have never had an issue of spending the yearly subscription fee...not one bit. I am very appreciative of whoever gifted me an MLIFE. I probably would have never spent the $99 to achieve that, because I did not have the funding to do so. If I did I would look at it as more of a "in 4 years it will pay for itself" kind of thing. You and some others view what RJ has promised as the exact truth and you are holding him to whatever he promised. Not everything goes as planned. Yes the communication has been poor on his side. However, we do not walk in his shoes so we don't know what is going on. I understand your frustration, however as I have said in the past, I don't agree with "how" it has been done. I am not sure what or where you are getting at with all this. Do you want to be the spokesperson for the BPL community? I say that with no malice, nor sarcasm, just asking. To me, it seems that way. Do we need one? Dunno. I personally don't need an advocate as I have a LOUD enough voice to do so on my own. I am not alone in this viewpoint neither. Call me an A hole...I can care less what others think of me on here. I do my hikes and it's just that. I was not attacking RS in his post, but just pointing out that I felt that he was being rather silly and RUDE at the same time. Just my opinion. I have had a few "nasty" pm's from a certain person from here that holds the same opinion as you (you know who you are, and so does Ken). I am sure others would not be happy to know the contents of this. Community? Really, if this was a community I would not have to get what is constituted as harassment. This whole thing is BS to be honest. To be honest, at times this whole thing is disgusting

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: The 'I use and abuse thread' on 08/12/2012 18:33:53 MDT Print View

Riding free? You must have ad blocking software or be unaware of the purpose of the ads placed in every thread.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/12/2012 18:43:00 MDT Print View

"This whole thing is BS to be honest. To be honest, at times this whole thing is disgusting"

Welcome to Chaff. Most of what goes on here fits that description.

"You and some others view what RJ has promised as the exact truth and you are holding him to whatever he promised"

Yes. As I would from any business that has taken money from me.

Spokesperson? NO! I just have an opinion and am voicing it as it is my right to do so, Just as it is your right to do so.Nothing more.

"Community? Really, if this was a community I would not have to get what is constituted as harassment."

Even families disagree and can be mean to one another. Just the way it is. We could do a little better at considering others feelings.
But as humans we could do better at a lot of things. Something to strive for.

RJ won't read this most likely. So ineffective as "calling out". Like I said in my earlier post if you have a gripe with RJ e mail him. Just don't expect a reply.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: The issue on 08/12/2012 18:46:17 MDT Print View

Only two ads?

We can do better

Mountain Hardwear

Patagonia Houdini

Evernew Titanium

Edited by kthompson on 08/12/2012 18:46:57 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/12/2012 18:51:33 MDT Print View

disagreements yes, but the content of said pms were downright mean and what constitutes as harassment. I don't harass my family..... Good luck on your crusade as I want nothing to do with it. Keep up the great work and I hope all your middlings pat you on the back.
Since this is chaff, sarcasm can be had for a dollar. I like how Cameron has a dissenting voice in this too, but rarely do you see him post anything of substance other that a sarcastic barb here and there. How often does he give advice...never. Sweet. Party on kids.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Classic Chaff Moments. on 08/12/2012 18:59:16 MDT Print View

I have no crusade. I am not the OP. Reread my posts in this thread. Your issues with Cameron have nothing to do with this thread really. Why rat him out? For what purpose? Just to be negative? So he embraces sarcasm, he's usually right. You're being no better. Join the party. Bla, bla, bla...

Be very glad that you don't have harassment in your family. Many are not so lucky.

Edited by kthompson on 08/12/2012 19:08:38 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re on 08/12/2012 19:21:39 MDT Print View

Since it seems there are two main points of view and neither camp is going to see things from the other viewpoint, why not agree to disagree, which does mean letting the " other" viewpoint be expressed.
By now most know that not everyone shares the OP point of view and that no one is being a spokesman for the whole of BPL. So let those that are not happy express themselves; there are valid points being made.
It's easy to get along when we all agree; this is where tolerance comes in.
Now I will try and remember this when I get all tangled up in some online dispute ;)

R S
(rps76) - F
Re: Re: Re: What's all this bitching? on 08/12/2012 19:29:12 MDT Print View

Ken Helwig: Interesting that you say I am "behaving rather poorly" considering, I'm assuming he is, your hero Aaron called me a moron and you didn't call him out. And Matthew happened to make some stupid remarks also and all he got was "Oh Matthew. I so agree with you buddy. Will you be my hiking partner? Please? Please? I agree with what you say 1000000000 %".

Now that we've talked about that....would you like to apologize for your comments or are you going to wait for Matthew to say something and just agree with what he said.

I'm not aching for a fight. I posted an off topic post in Chaff and received comments that were...well dumb. I just decided top respond to the posts towards me in the same fashion as they were written. And also answered the questions asked by Matthew.

Edited by rps76 on 08/12/2012 19:32:33 MDT.