Forum Index » Chaff » The I used to be a member but now I'm not celebration thread.

Display Avatars Sort By:
R S
(rps76) - F
The I used to be a member but now I'm not celebration thread. on 08/11/2012 07:17:17 MDT Print View

Who didn't renew? This guy.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: The 'I use and abuse thread' on 08/11/2012 07:21:39 MDT Print View

So you're riding free and bragging.
Interesting.

Bite any other hands lately?

Edited by greg23 on 08/11/2012 07:31:26 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: The I used to be a member but now I'm not celebration thread. on 08/11/2012 07:56:49 MDT Print View

Please email RJ and tell him why you chose to not renew. Since he spends no time on the forums you are pretty much wasting your protest breath here. But you should tell him.

Let's remember that this is Chaff. Everyone has the right to an opinion.

Edited by kthompson on 08/11/2012 23:57:18 MDT.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F - M

Locale: British Columbia
Still contributing ... on 08/11/2012 14:36:54 MDT Print View

>> So you're riding free and bragging.
Interesting.<<

I don't see this as "riding free".

After 5 years as a paying member, I have decided that Rj, as a business man, doesn't deserve my financial support any longer. I do however believe that the BPL forum contributers are the best thing about this site (whether they are paying members or not), so I continue to read the forums and do my part to contribute when I think I have something of value to offer. I think this is enough support (my time and input), to help keep this site alive. If RJ wants my money then he had better improve his product.

Greg, you have been around as long as I have, so I find it hard to believe that you haven't noticed a significant loss of value for your dollars paid.

Riding for free is my silent protest that may be felt at the bottom line.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Hmmmm? on 08/11/2012 18:22:19 MDT Print View

"significant loss of value for your dollars paid"

I haven't been a member as long as some of you so it is hard for me to see the trend of which you speak.

My reason for being here, however, is simply the forum discussions. All else is gravy (and sometimes chaff).

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: The I used to be a member but now I'm not celebration thread. on 08/11/2012 19:03:47 MDT Print View

These days ultralight isn't so much a niche. Its pretty standard practice for experienced backpackers, even those who like heavy packs at least understand the philosophy and techniques behind ultralight backpacking, they just have different priorities.
That means that any backpacking site these days is a source for discussing UL.
The days when you would be flamed for being reckless for using a tarp are long gone.
To add to the problem, many,many really good blogs are out who do in depth reviews of new gear and post trip reports.
How does BPL compete with that? I renewed after a few years of not paying with the hope that things are going to improve and it would be worth it, but I don't see any change. The articles I missed, while good and all had nothing really new to say. With the exception of the more scientific articles, but then they weren't really that relevant to me because I don't use gas stoves and I could argue its not enough to justify yearly renewals.
I remember when it was a real paper magazine and since going online over time the articles became less and less and the reviews trickle in. Again how does that compare to the many blogs I can read for free and see the newest gear reviewed soon after they go on the market?
for me the forums are where the real content is. Many current non paying members put more money into this site than many Mlife members and have been sharing (and arguing) on this site since the beginning. the subscription is supposed to be for the articles, but what if they no longer interest me enough to pay? What if the reviews are far too few and far between and can't keep up with free blogs?
How much money and discussion does one need to put into this site to be considered a legitimate member? An Mlife membership is less money than 5 yearly subscriptions, so why are they not freeloaders? If one puts 99.00$ into the site they get more privilege than one who puts 200.00$ into it. Not to mention that many current members calling others freeloaders where not even here in the beginning when this site needed people the most and those freeloaders helped make this site what it is.
It should be made clear, if current members feel non paying posters are leeches they should close the forums to the public. Problem solved. Maybe there should be vote?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: The I used to be a member but now I'm not celebration thread. on 08/11/2012 20:21:28 MDT Print View

There is no shame in sharing info on this board without paying for membership. However, posting to gloat ("celebration") is tacky.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Re: The I used to be a member but now I'm not celebration thread. on 08/11/2012 20:22:26 MDT Print View

I have always though that the BPL articles should be free but with advertisements. With UL backpacking being such a popular topic now, it would seem that they would get huge exposure and more revenue from advertisements than the few subscribers. But I could be completely wrong.

R S
(rps76) - F
Re: Re: The 'I use and abuse thread' on 08/11/2012 21:33:56 MDT Print View

You have a hand? I'll bite it.

That's pretty ignorant to say. You're not only talking about myself, but the who knows how many other free users of this site.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
New Blood on 08/11/2012 22:01:51 MDT Print View

I want to encourage as many new users as possible. That's where a lot of good ideas might come from.

a b
(Ice-axe)
? on 08/11/2012 23:28:18 MDT Print View

Edited by Ice-axe on 10/18/2012 19:37:45 MDT.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
The I used to be a member but now I'm not celebration thread. on 08/11/2012 23:39:04 MDT Print View

Never mind.

There will be lots of beer at the GGG.

Edited by redmonk on 08/11/2012 23:47:05 MDT.

a b
(Ice-axe)
. on 08/11/2012 23:45:39 MDT Print View

Edited by Ice-axe on 10/18/2012 19:38:18 MDT.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: The I used to be a member but now I'm not celebration thread. on 08/11/2012 23:54:51 MDT Print View

Brian,

You do realize you said Ultralite?

"These days ultralight isn't so much a niche. It’s pretty standard practice for experienced backpackers"

That's even a bigger joke than this moron who started this thread.
Of all the times I have been in the back country I have only seen 1 couple who were hiking the JMT that were UL.

I think 99% of the people on this board still have no idea what Ultralite really is.
It may be practiced by 2 or 3% of the members here but only used on a few of their trips a year.

Ultralite is thrown around with so much gear on this site that could never be of any use of going UL. I think once REI started coining the phrase, everybody that thought they were buying any gear on the lighter side would say they were going UL.

I thought I go a good laugh at the original thread but yours topped the cake.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
The issue on 08/11/2012 23:57:53 MDT Print View

The issue is every thread where somebody tried to raise an issue and were ignored. For months. And months.

Ignoring paying customers is unacceptable to me.

The issue is also the lack of engaging content.

The issue is also this forum is a major part of BPL today, and the members have no say in how it is run.

The issue is also that it is easier to find Sasquatch than a positive WTS review, and the WTS is the future of BPL.

Edited by redmonk on 08/12/2012 00:07:55 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: The issue on 08/12/2012 00:07:15 MDT Print View

taking advantage of your customers

taking your customers for granted

not delivering promised goods/services paid for to your customers who paid in good faith

other questionable business practices

poor apology given almost a year too late

poor communication practices

etc...

the forums rock it though. But they are the "free" part of BPL

the irony

Looking forward to seeing Matt and Cameron real soon. I miss you guys.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: The issue on 08/12/2012 00:07:53 MDT Print View

@ Aaron:

I can see the point in both Brian's and your posts. I have been on trails that seem like the '60s never ended -- with lots of external packs -- and a few even had lounge chairs strapped to them! But those trails tend to radiate out from established camping grounds.

Showing up at the PCT kick off event near San Diego -- there were hundreds of hikers gathered -- many to embark on the hike of their lives -- and many more (like me) just there to wish them well. The overwhelming majority of tents set up were tarptents! And most all of them seemed like UL practitioners.

Never been to the AT... not sure what the setup there is like. I still believe most hikers / campers remain in the 50lbs range. But Brian's statement about experienced hikers practicing UL or at least being somewhat knowledgeable about UL sounded accurate too.

a b
(Ice-axe)
.. on 08/12/2012 00:09:39 MDT Print View

?

Edited by Ice-axe on 10/18/2012 19:37:01 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Yea you paid.. on 08/12/2012 05:58:07 MDT Print View

Matthew I agree with your posts 1000%

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
Re: Yea you paid.. on 08/12/2012 07:31:57 MDT Print View

I also agree with Matt's comments.

RJ is no longer the driving force here. I have been around from the beginning and if he and Alan Dixon still wrote all the articles it would be a different story but they don't anymore. On the paid content side if we p!ss off Roger and others then there will be no good content anymore. I find the quality of the articles just as good, if not better than the early years. Sure I have been on the trails for 4 decades but it doesn't mean I have been exposed to everything or don't want to read about it again. I don't go to the movies so my entertainment $ are spent in places like this instead. The M-Life membership investment was strictly a way to save money in the long run. I mean I still get Backpacker magazine but only for less than $10 a year, it's entertainment and every once in a while a nugget of new info.

As to the forums, while UL is discussed in other forums, you have to be kidding me in trying to compare the amount, quality and knowledge in those places with the volume and depth here. Sure I wish they were organized better and easier to use but there is no comparable anywhere on the intertubes, paid or not. Investment can be both in contributions of time and knowledge to the discussions here and in $ to keep the lights on.