Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Quilt: Enlightened or Katabatic
Display Avatars Sort By:
Yang Lu
(yanglu)
Quilt: Enlightened or Katabatic on 08/09/2012 17:05:00 MDT Print View

Hi Guys,

I own a Big Agness Blackburn SL 0 degree sleeping bag. I am on the market for a 3 season quilt.

I am a side sleeper. So far I narrow down to two brands Enlightened Revelation 20 degree 30% overfill wide or Katabatic Alsek 6' wide. I have read so many review and learnt that those two brands are equally good.

Here are my questions:

1. Katabatic has a cord system to tight the quilt to the pad so when a sleeper turns the bag can stay. Does Enlightened has similar feature?

2. Katabatic seems to have a sewed footbox. I assume that in hot weather it cannot be used as a blanket. Enlightened seems to have a zipper to open the footbox. Is this true? Do you think if this feature is useful?

I am leaning toward to Enlightened becasue the price seems a bit lower but I think the cord system is quite important. Is this true?

Thanks,
Yang

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Quilts on 08/09/2012 17:15:25 MDT Print View

It really depends on your sleeping style. I personally much prefer a quilt without any sort of attachment system. I just roll up in it like I would at home. With the quilt wrapped around me, it's a snug, cozy sleep. If you attach the quilt to the pad then it's not going to wrap tightly around you, which I find less cozy in cold weather. Opinions differ though and you can easily not use the system if you buy a quilt that has it. I haven't checked, but I presume the enLIGHTened quilts have some loops along the edges or something similar so you can attach some cord. If not, I'm sure Tim would add some for you.

Regarding the footbox, if you're using your quilt in quite hot weather then it is nice to be able to upzip the footbox to keep the feet from getting sweaty, but it's not a huge deal. I like using my quilt totally unzipped (aka 'blanket' mode) when it's warm enough to do so, but in mid-temperature conditions it's not a big deal. It's only a key feature if you're using a 20F quilt on 50-60F nights.

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Locale: Lost in the mountains
Katabatic Gear on 08/09/2012 17:47:07 MDT Print View

I have a Katabatic Gear quilt and absolutely love it. Mine is the Palisade, the 30 degree quilt. I've used it when evening temps were in the 50's and 60's. Simply not "clipping" it to the pad was great. I don't mind the foot box on the Katabatic. In fact, I prefer it when it is chilly. On the warmer evenings, I regulate my body temp by keeping the quilt unclipped.

On the cooler evenings, when it is in the 30s, I'll clip the quilt in and drafts are non-existent. When I know I'm pushing the limits of the quilt, I clip the quilt all the way down on the "locking" mechanism and snug the quilt up really good. I just love that feature.

I've dealt with Katabatic and love their customer service.

Can't go wrong with them. I have no experience with the Elightened brand.

Jeff McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
Re: Quilt: Enlightened or Katabatic on 08/09/2012 18:17:51 MDT Print View

The Enlightened Revelation quilt has a cord system as well as a zippered foot box. I find having the ability to open up the quilt foot box very nice. It allows me to use it in warmer weather and to dry it out easier. It's a requirement for any quilt I buy.

I've attached pictures so you can see my Revelation 20 degree overstuff that I recently received. The foot box has a zipper along with two sets of buttons further up the quilt if you really want it closed around you. In the picture I don't have the buttons closed together.

As you can see there is hardly any hole once the foot box is zippered and pulled shut. I usually stick a spare sock in there to stop any air from escaping. The quilt has three sets of cords that you can use to attach it to a pad. I don't really like using the cords, but they're there if you want them. I have two of Tim's quilts and can't say enough good things about them.

Jeffrey McConnell: Quilt &emdash;

Edited by Catalyst on 08/09/2012 18:36:05 MDT.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Quilt: Enlightened or Katabatic on 08/09/2012 18:48:29 MDT Print View

I think that the Katabatic system is great. It was a big addition to the quilt market.

That said I never use straps. I'm like Dan I just tuck it.

If I was going to strap it it wouldn't be around a pad, I dont want to be strapped to anything. I would use the supplied shock cord under my back. I'd stick one end of the cord through a tab on each side of the quilt and slide the cord lock to adjust tension. That is how our setup works. 3 sets of tabs and 3 cords at shoulder belly and ars. This gives the smallest area to heat up and you can still turn inside it by holding the edge of the quilt as you roll.

-Tim

Yang Lu
(yanglu)
Re: Re: Quilt: Enlightened or Katabatic on 08/09/2012 19:15:29 MDT Print View

Hi guys,

Thank you all so much! I think I am sold on Enlightened. Now I have to decide what fabric to use.

I think Revelation is about $70 more than the X. I always use tent. Do you think I should get Revelation or Revelation X?

I notice Jeff used Revelation. May I know why did not choose X?

Thanks again.

Yang

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Re: Re: Quilt: Enlightened or Katabatic on 08/09/2012 19:28:45 MDT Print View

I think katabatic system is better. But next quilt I get will probably be enlightened. You get more bang for your buck.

And if you don't want straps it doesn't matter.

Both have great customer service and I've never heard a bad thing about either.

As a matter of fact I've been on Tim's site today looking around...

Edited by mpl_35 on 08/09/2012 19:34:35 MDT.

windsor ak
(windsor) - M

Locale: MN
Quilt: Enlightened or Katabatic on 08/09/2012 19:31:47 MDT Print View

I have an Alsek and love it for cold weather sleeping.
After the temperature gets much above 45 degrees I find the foot box to be too warm even with the quilt draped loose and end up sleeping with my feet sticking out from under the end of the quilt. I like the clip system as I tend to roll around in my sleep and with a mummy bag would wake up with the bag upside down and my face in the hood.

That said I'll be looking at a Revelation quilt next spring for a warm weather quilt.

So I guess my advice is to buy both :)

Jeff McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
Re: Re: Re: Quilt: Enlightened or Katabatic on 08/09/2012 20:06:27 MDT Print View

Yang,

My 20* quilt is a revelation and my 0* quilt is a revelation x. I chose the revelation for my 20* quilt because I use it under a tarp without a bivy and I wanted a little more wind protection out of the quilt. Both are excellent. If you always use a tent the revelation x would probably be my choice.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Enlightened Quilts are the best. Period. on 08/09/2012 20:10:03 MDT Print View

I'd like to cast my vote for Tim's quilts. Been using them for a number of years and he's always been a great guy to deal with. VERY happy with all my enLIGHTened quilts!!

M

Yang Lu
(yanglu)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Quilt: Enlightened or Katabatic on 08/10/2012 00:20:45 MDT Print View

Jeff, I hear you! And thanks everybody for the help.

I just ordered an X, 20 degree, 30% overfill, wide, 6', inside black, outside grey.

--Yang