Way OT, internet service question
Display Avatars Sort By:
Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
Way OT, internet service question on 08/08/2012 06:58:00 MDT Print View

I live out in the country and as far as I've been able to ascertain my current IP is my only option for service....but, they will only provide me with a "package" which includes, Cable TV, landline phone, and DSL (not stellar fast, 512) I don't currently have a smart phone. I did try a Verizon Mifi for a week, but at the time there was no cost savings and there is a cap on it, don't remember what it was.Big selling point was it was mobile, but with so many free wifi spots out there now that hardly seems a big deal. My current rate just went up to 69.00 which for the whole package is quite reasonable, it's just that I don't have (or want) a tv or a landline, so I feel I'm being held hostage since they seem to be the only game in town. Does anyone know of any other options?
Thanks!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Way OT, internet service question on 08/08/2012 11:55:34 MDT Print View

I think a landline with DSL -- choosing only the most basic phone package -- will likely be cheaper than the unneeded / unwanted cable.

Free wifi might be a good choice. Having to actually "go somewhere else" to get connected can be the best prevention against web addiction. OTOH, if you will be buying coffee and such with each visit, then free wifi may actually be the most expensive option...

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Way OT, internet service question on 08/08/2012 13:30:51 MDT Print View

Satellite?

Wild Blue is $50 a month, has a data cap, and won't work when it's raining hard. But Most of the time it's not to bad.