Google SketchUp Tutorial for MYOG Enthusiasts
Display Avatars Sort By:
Maia
(maia) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Google SketchUp Tutorial for MYOG Enthusiasts on 08/07/2012 17:23:51 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Google SketchUp Tutorial for MYOG Enthusiasts

Greg Pehrson
(GregPehrson) - MLife

Locale: playa del caballo blanco
Thank you! on 08/07/2012 21:46:55 MDT Print View

David, this is awesome. I prototype with paper bags, and have never used any CAD-type software, but your description makes it look easy and fun. I'll definitely give it a try.

Brad Walker
(brawa)

Locale: SoCal
Thanks on 08/08/2012 11:23:39 MDT Print View

Thanks for the overview. I like how you run through the process with just enough details--not too few or many.

I've used SketchUp a bit for MYOG and was *so* happy to find Flattery existed.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: Sketchup on 08/08/2012 13:50:54 MDT Print View

Great article. Makes a strong case for me moving away from my pen and paper only ways.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Sketchup on 08/08/2012 14:04:27 MDT Print View

Thanks - I've been curious about Sketchup and this describes it really well

A little off that subject, putting a vestibule on the mid works really good. When there's a zipper down the center of a side panel, there's tension across the zipper - it's hard to zip it all the way down. When the zipper is on the ridge of the vestibule, you can lower the zipper down easier. And I think it's easier to get all the ridges taut, especially if the site isn't level.

Casey Cardwell
(Niles) - MLife

Locale: On the Dirt in Oregon
Cat curves on 08/09/2012 07:16:13 MDT Print View

Great article and much appreciated.

How do you determine how deep to make your cat curves for a given edge? I've been having trouble with this on a bike packing shelter I've worked up in sketchup. Any advice would be great!

Thanks again!

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Google SketchUp Tutorial for MYOG Enthusiasts on 08/13/2012 11:22:07 MDT Print View

This is a well-written and informative tutorial. As a long-time Sketch-Up user it was nice to read some new tips and tricks I'd neither used nor considered.

William Safley
(wsafley) - MLife

Locale: Eastern NC
Terrific and timely article on 08/14/2012 15:18:18 MDT Print View

I just started using Sketchup, just bought my first annual subscription to BPL, and just started getting into MYOG. It is extremely helpful to learn the workflow of someone who is well versed in using Sketchup and has the experience of applying it to making gear. I think it's a great application of great software!

I had been playing with a pyramid tent design and showed it to my wife. She showed no interest at all until I added people, using your tip above. It's amazing what a detail like that can add.