Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » A Survey of Water Hazards and Water Treatment Methods - Part 3

Display Avatars Sort By:
Maia
(maia) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
A Survey of Water Hazards and Water Treatment Methods - Part 3 on 08/07/2012 17:22:44 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

A Survey of Water Hazards and Water Treatment Methods - Part 3

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Links to mini-articles? on 08/07/2012 19:48:53 MDT Print View

The links to the mini-articles are missing--there are only *** place holders *** in the article.

Otherwise an excellent article series!

Daniel Paladino
(dtpaladino) - F - MLife

Locale: Northern Rockies
Place holders on 08/08/2012 09:18:20 MDT Print View

Thanks Mary

The mini articles detailing the specifics of Filtration, UV, and Chemical treatment will follow in the next few weeks.

-Daniel

mitchell Keil
(mkeil)

Locale: Surf City
Water Treatment Specific Methods on 08/08/2012 11:37:20 MDT Print View

I thought that Part 3 was to be a review of the various actual products available in each of the categories of treatment modality. Only one, the MSR Minox, is actually discussed at all. Are we to get any specific reviews of product?

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: A Survey of Water Hazards and Water Treatment Methods - Part 3 on 08/08/2012 11:48:42 MDT Print View

Roger, et al, Well Done!!

Elizabeth Tracy
(mariposa) - M

Locale: Outside
Comparative performance against giardia on 08/08/2012 11:56:38 MDT Print View

Hi,

This is fantastic.

I would like to see an updated comparison chart in re: effectiveness against giardia for each of these treatment methods (or for each specific product/model). Somewhere not easily findable on the Web, I've seen a chart/article that makes the comparison - but can't find it now, and it may be out-of-date.

I've had giardia (in fact, last year!) and I know now that most people get it from a hygiene lapse - not from bad water - but, still. Tested-in-the-field effectiveness against giardia would be my #1 criterion for choosing my water treatment.

- Elizabeth

Daniel Paladino
(dtpaladino) - F - MLife

Locale: Northern Rockies
Re: Water Treatment Specific Methods on 08/08/2012 13:13:07 MDT Print View

Hi Mitchell

Parts 4, 5, and 6 go into more detail and discuss actual products. Hold tight, these will be published in the coming weeks.

-Daniel

Irvin Kanode
(kanode@mindspring.com) - M
Part 3 was disappointing on 08/08/2012 13:46:20 MDT Print View

I found the first 2 parts informative but part 3 was shallow with little actionable content. It felt rushed. Maybe the follow up articles will be better.

The section on SOLAR was particularly weak. No science. No mention of solar pasteurization indicators such as the
Water Pasteurization Indicator (WAPI) from http://www.solarcookers.org

Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

Locale: USA
SODIS on 08/08/2012 19:20:41 MDT Print View

Here is the main site for the SODIS method: http://www.sodis.ch/index_EN

Note that they are working on a SODIS bag. Still, you need to be at a fixed site like Roger said but it would be a good tool in the quiver for those on longer term trips in 3rd world areas.

Mike Oxford
(moxford) - MLife

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA
More...more..must have more... on 08/14/2012 13:23:18 MDT Print View

:)

Edited by moxford on 08/14/2012 13:24:32 MDT.