I've owned a pair of TrailRoc 245s since they became available this summer. My second pair of Inov-8s, after the RocLite 295s. I like the 245s a lot, but wondered if the 255s would be more durable and more comfortable over a longer distance. No-one locally has them, so I ordered a pair from Zappos, in the same size as my 245s.
What I like:
- The toebox is just as good as the 245 - really comfortable without feeling sloppy.
- The mesh and rand are much more substantial. I think they'll hold up longer.
- Black and red are less of an eyesore than blue and lime.
What I'm not sure about:
- The sole is a lot more rigid, and has significantly less flex than both the 245 and the Roclite 295. I don't know how this will impact comfort on a rocky trail, but there's going to be less ground feel than either of my other shoes.
- The heel feels a lot narrower than the 245. I don't know whether it's the extra padding (there is quite a bit), the greater heel drop, the more rigid met-cradle lacing system that extends around the heel, or the combination of all three. Put simply, it's uncomfortable after just 10 minutes wear.
The heel fit is different enough that I doubt whether the 255s will ever feel comfortable in the way that my TrailRoc 245s and RocLite 295s did from day 1. I'm almost ready to send the 255s back to Zappos. For those of you with the 255s, did they feel any better after a break in period?