Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » South lake/North lake loop July 29-August 4, 2012

Display Avatars Sort By:
Joshua Billings
(Joshua) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca
South lake/North lake loop July 29-August 4, 2012 on 08/07/2012 00:35:08 MDT Print View

So my 2 friends and I were planning a trip out of Sequoia over pants pass or something like that down to the Kern river but sadly a family tragedy happened to one of them a few days before we were going to leave and that was that. The other friend could reschedule so they are going to go in a few weeks hopefully but I couldn't reschedule so i choose to go solo. I wanted to keep it more mellow and stay on trail mostly so I choose this trip. I really had an amazing time and for anyone who is on the fence about going solo i would just like to say that it is really different then going with other folks.(haha) For example I felt my senses heightened( or maybe that was the shrooms.) Anyways it is nice to reflect without distractions and fish as long as I wanted. I really missed my friends though. I hadn't been in this area before so it was really mind blowing. The basic flow of my trip was South lake to bishop pass, Dusy basin,JMT North bound, Le Conte Canyon, Muir pass, Wanda lake, evolution lake, evolution valley , San Joaquin river,exit JMT, Piute creek, Muriel Lake, Goeth lake, Piute pass and down to North lake. This is all out of Bishop, ca. The walk in permit was easy, I got there about an hour before they opened. I caught lots of fish on my fly rod, 7'6" 3 weight with dry flies but the biggest fish I caught was about a 14 inch golden and fat in Goeth lake with a fly rod and floating line with a few split shot sinkers above the fly of all things. I was jigging it like a lucky Joe because they were down deep. It was super windy and a storm was coming. Exciting day that was. Here are some photos. thanks for checking it out.muir passSomewhereView north in evolution valleyGoeth Lake fish

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
Hitch? on 08/07/2012 09:59:00 MDT Print View

Thanks for the trip report. Im thinking of doing a similar loop soon. How did you get from North lake back to South lake? Hitch a ride? Walk?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Hitch? on 08/07/2012 10:59:39 MDT Print View

Chris, you can do both pretty easily.

Josh, nice trip report! Cary, Dave Wage and I did something similar a few years ago. Went over Bishop and exited via Darwin Canyon and then Lamarck Col. Beautiful country for sure. Nice picture of that trout. Thanks for sharing!!

Joshua Billings
(Joshua) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca
easy to catch a ride on 08/07/2012 11:27:20 MDT Print View

Chris, ken is right. Super easy . Took me 5 mins to catch a ride. They took me all the way to south lake and we chatted it up. They wouldn't even take my gas money i offered. So many hikers out there doing simular stuff.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Shrooms on 08/07/2012 22:23:10 MDT Print View

Josh, I've done that loop, never solo, must've been groovy. And six days. Man I'm jealous, good to hear it brother.