Forum Index » GEAR » iPhone tracker

Display Avatars Sort By:
bernie tillson
(bernie41) - M
iPhone tracker on 08/05/2012 09:51:45 MDT Print View

Can anyone recommend an app for the iPhone that allows the phone to emit a signal that can be tracked remotely, much like the SPOT and the Garmin Tracker?

Stephen P
(spavlock) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Re: iPhone tracker on 08/05/2012 10:33:23 MDT Print View

MapMyHike has live tracking. I use mapmyride for logging workouts, but haven't used the hike version.

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: iPhone tracker on 08/05/2012 14:49:37 MDT Print View

The spot uses a satellite transmitter to transmit it's GPS location to a satellite. The information is then transferred to a ground station where it can be looked up on the web.

Cell phones don't have satellite transmitters. They can only connect to cell towers and nearby wifi terminals. If you are in the mountains you are often too far away from cell towers or wifi terminals the cell phone cannot send the information out. you won't find a app that will allow a cell phone to connect to a satellite.

Mike H
(mikehaf) - M
Spot connect on 08/05/2012 15:33:23 MDT Print View

I think what you're looking for is something like this: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116

Demo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwdYNS3HJSg

As mentioned, using your data connection while hiking is probably not a reliable/battery efficient way to do things, unless you're sure there will be tower coverage. Google latitude might be a decent way to share your location while in data range.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
iPhone Tracker - Google Lattitude on 08/06/2012 06:19:17 MDT Print View

If you have data coverage for your phone (which doesn't happen where I usually hike) you can use Google Lattitude and it will update your position regularly. I wouldn't count on this though...It's good if you're in a city park but data service typically doesn't reach most remote sites effectively.