Sept JMT Quilt or Sleeping Bag
Display Avatars Sort By:
john devine
(alpenglow2)

Locale: East Coast
Sept JMT Quilt or Sleeping Bag on 08/04/2012 09:44:20 MDT Print View

Hi. I have a brand new Marmot Helium that I got on sale from REI. I am considering swapping it for a golite 3 season 20 degree quilt. Should save a half pound. I have never used a quilt and I trust Marmots temp ratings more than golites. My trip is 8-20 sept. Thanks for any advice.

John

Katy Anderson
(KatyAnderson) - F
Marmot on 08/04/2012 11:05:18 MDT Print View

We usually have a cold snap in September when night time temperatures at the high elevation falls into the teens. I'd go with the Marmot bag.

George Suchand
(fastnlight) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
GoLite weights on 08/14/2012 16:56:41 MDT Print View

I bought a bunch of stuff from Go-Lite before I new of the other boutique suppliers and almost all of their listed weights were heavier than they listed. Just something to consider.

Ryan Fiske
(palmeredhackle) - F
Loved my golite quilt on 08/14/2012 22:01:21 MDT Print View

I used the Golite 20 quilt on my jmt thru in the end of July this year. Was super warm the whole trip, but temps were quite warm. I'd guess low 40's most nights with a couple nights that we got frosty bags at higher elevation. Depending on how cold you get, you might be fine in the golite with additional layers.

daniel B
(dbogey) - F

Locale: East Coast
I'm taking my Marmot on 08/15/2012 09:34:15 MDT Print View

I'll be doing part of the Sierra High Route starting mid sept for 8 days and will take my 15degree Marmot. I can open it up like a quilt or zip it all the way up. I'd rather be a little to warm than cold.