Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
California SR 108- Condition of Road to Leavitt Lake (Hoover Wilderness)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bruce Tolley
(btolley) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
California SR 108- Condition of Road to Leavitt Lake (Hoover Wilderness) on 08/03/2012 16:18:25 MDT Print View

I am trying to confirm that my AWD vehicle with 7.5 inches of clearance most likely is NOT recommended on the road from SR 108 to Leavitt Lake. The Bridgeport Ranger station is not answering their phone but from photos on the web it looks like a jeep trail.

Any up to date information is appreciated.
thx

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: California SR 108- Condition of Road to Leavitt Lake (Hoover Wilderness) on 08/03/2012 18:34:36 MDT Print View

Bruce the road is gravely but nice....you will have no problem...enjoy the steep climb coming up 108 from the west....it is STEEP

Bruce Tolley
(btolley) - M

Road to Leavitt Lake on 08/04/2012 11:12:28 MDT Print View

Thanks Ken
Looks like we might be taking my friends 2WD mini van and not my AWD. Is your answer the same.

The alternative TH is looking like Leavitt Meadows.
Bruce

Bill Law
(williamlaw) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Road to Leavitt Lake on 08/11/2012 14:14:20 MDT Print View

I drove this road 6 years ago or so. I've driven many FS roads in the Sierra from Sonora pass to Mammoth and this was one of the toughest, mostly because of the steepness. There was one (dry) creek crossing early on that was especially gnarly. But up-to-date info can be crucial. The road I drove my last trip, from Minaret Summit out to Deadman Pass, was way easier than the last time I drove it 3 years ago. They rerouted around the bad parts, or did some grading, in the interim. If they just regraded the Leavitt Lake road this spring, then it could make all the difference.

When are you going? I will be driving over the pass next weekend and could take a detour and check it out.

Bottom line: *I* wouldn't plan on going up it in my 2WDs, based on what I saw last time I went up it. YMMV.

That said, you might be better off parking along that road and walking up it (versus starting at Leavitt meadow). It's only a couple of miles to Leavitt Lake, I think. Or, consider starting at Sonora pass. Way less uphill from there.

Bill

P.S. It seems they graded this road in 2008, but maybe not since then? The first picture of the first stream crossing on this page is more like what I saw. Some of the other pictures (the wide, flat, smooth ones) may not do this route full justice.

Bruce Tolley
(btolley) - M

road to Leavitt lake on 08/12/2012 22:40:23 MDT Print View

We would be driving in this coming Friday.

Any up to date info is appreciated. The car is now a Suburu with 7 plus inches of clearance and Awd but no real low gear.

Bill Law
(williamlaw) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: road to Leavitt lake on 08/16/2012 00:50:28 MDT Print View

Sorry, I won't be back until Sunday. That vehicle sounds like it will work. I did it in my MDX with 9 inch clearance.