Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Donner Pass day hike / camping
Display Avatars Sort By:
Peter Bakwin
(pbakwin) - F
Donner Pass day hike / camping on 08/01/2012 19:41:52 MDT Print View

Driving over Donner & looking to stretch the legs by hiking/running along the PCT for a couple hours. My question: Is there someplace nearby I can sleep in my car and not get bothered?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Donner Pass day hike / camping on 08/01/2012 19:56:54 MDT Print View

I've stopped at the Donner Summit rest area on I-80. That is also where the truckers stop. Note that this is a few miles from Donner Pass on old U.S.40, which is a few miles from the original Donner Pass where the Donner party actually crossed.

Of course, the Donner party didn't have any 18-wheelers to park overnight.

I do not recommend stopping at Donner Lake. I've been hassled by the local cops there.

--B.G.--

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Donner Pass day hike / camping on 08/01/2012 20:16:32 MDT Print View

You might be able to sleep close to the FS office, a little east of Rainbow Lodge on old Hwy 40, in the area where bpers park to head up to Loch Leven Lakes. Can't remember the name of the FS office there. Maybe Bob will recall.
Duane

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Donner Pass day hike / camping on 08/01/2012 20:29:53 MDT Print View

There is the Hampshire Rocks Campground near the Big Bend exit off I-80. That's pretty close to Rainbow Lodge. It is Tahoe National Forest.

--B.G.--

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Hampshire Rock Campground on 08/06/2012 01:51:56 MDT Print View

Us about 4 miles away. Easy to get a reservation. Then drive to trailhead - you can park there for overnights too. And hike south through Squaw and sugar bowl area along squaw creek. Great 10 miles out and back, look for the railroad tunnels by using trail and fire roads to walk around my. Judah - or is it Lincoln - great loop for day or overnight. A few food trip reports with pics online. Link:

http://motherlode.sierraclub.org/SierraNevada/recreation/tunnels.pdf