November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG Quilt - nanoseeum question
Display Avatars Sort By:
Amy Lauterbach
(drongobird) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
MYOG Quilt - nanoseeum question on 08/01/2012 08:37:25 MDT Print View

Thru-hiker M50 down quilt kit. My design is done and fabric is cut. One question before I take the next step. Thanks, Amy

Nathan Hays

Locale: San Francisco
nanoseeum seam on 08/01/2012 13:18:12 MDT Print View

I've made two thru-hiker quilts using the non-folded seam on the left. I can't say I've had enough experience in the field to know whether there is a risk of ravelling/blowout (hasn't yet).

We sewed some scrap together with a 1/2 inch allowance, untrimmed. No issues when we tugged and pulled. And honestly, this isn't a garment that gets a lot of wear and tear. We were more concerned about the stitch quality/tension. These are dissimilar materials.

It's obviously less work than folding, but if you don't mind a lot of ironing or careful handwork, it would help eliminate that nagging feeling you could've done more...

BTW, I used the edge of 1" blue masking tape to mark the baffle seam lines. It made it very easy to see the nanoseeum against the black liner. This was for a 12/5 karo step:

Karo Quilt

Mark Fowler
(KramRelwof) - MLife

Locale: Namadgi
Knitted vs Woven on 08/02/2012 07:02:10 MDT Print View

Nanoseeum is a knitted fabric so it will not fray like a woven fabric. No need to fold and stitch. If you were using a woven fabric like 8D or M50 then either hot cut the fabric to seal the edges against fraying or fold and stitch.

Amy Lauterbach
(drongobird) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
MYOG Quilt - thanks for info on 08/02/2012 07:39:27 MDT Print View

Thanks Mark and Nathan. Paul at Thru-Hiker also confirmed that he does not hem baffles.

Fabric cut. M50 edges seared. Baffles cut. Sewing Machine repair shop called to tell me that the cleaning and tune-up is complete (first service in 30 years). This evening Jim and I will go to his office where there is a table large enough to spread the project flat and tape the baffles in place, and tomorrow I start sewing. I'm excited.