The Muir Project on Kickstarter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
The Muir Project on Kickstarter on 08/01/2012 00:33:56 MDT Print View

Some of you may remember the thread by Robert Perkins here on BPL earlier : http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=57951

They are in the fundraising aspect on Kickstarter now:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/themuirproject/mile-mile-and-a-half-a-feature-documentary

I love all the hiking documentaries and thought I'd share for anybody that was interested.

Somebody hook me up with links please.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
RE Muir project on Kickstart on 08/19/2012 09:06:19 MDT Print View

Is this what you want?

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
$$$ on 08/19/2012 16:02:38 MDT Print View

gee.. that budget seems a bit much to me..

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: RE Muir project on Kickstart on 08/20/2012 00:34:00 MDT Print View

exactly Jack. Thanks I don't have the patience to post links from my iphone and never got around to fixing it.

I appreciate the help.

Jason,

Maybe, maybe not. I don't pretend to know that area of expertise but they do breakdown the expected costs in quite a bit of detail and the end product (if the samples are an accurate portrayel) is very professional looking compared to anything else I've seen. But if you don't want to support it thats up to you. I just recall others were interested in this and wanted to share it with anybody that wants to pitch in. Not create a debate on the costs of the project.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
RE Muir project on Kickstart on 08/20/2012 15:45:32 MDT Print View

Thanks for putting up the follow up for this project with Kickstart.

The trailer looks amazing!

I was on the JMT in August last year, about 1 month after they went.

I would love to be able to show my family this movie so they can have a better understanding of why I wanted to sleep in the dirt and be homeless for 15 days last year!

Definitely will be contributing to support this project...hope others are willing to help out to.

As for the cost of what they are doing, I am no expert either, but the sincerity of what they are posting up to show where all the money is going tells me that it is a work of passion and love that has met the reality of needing fincial support to get them to the end of it all.

Good luck to them and looking forward to seeing this movie!

-Tony

Joseph Brody
(Killroy) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
$1 on 08/21/2012 08:55:14 MDT Print View

I was going to pledge $1, but instead of just having a Pay Pal button, Kickstarter requires you to register and probably use a credit card, so unfortunately Kickstarter made it too hard to donate.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: $1 - Kickstarter pledges are much easier (but you have to read their FAQ) on 08/23/2012 22:53:52 MDT Print View

I had the same concerns but read their FAQ. I post the two most important things about their FAQ here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?bo=watch&forum_thread_id=67469
Link

I did not know this thread was already going. Mine is redundant to this, except for the FAQ and added links.

You don't give Kickstarter your credit card information if you have an amazon account. nothing is charged to your ultimate credit card (per the FAQ) unless their pledged goal is reached on the deadline date.

Kickstarter should make their FAQ easier to read. It's reached via the bottom left of their web page via the "Help" link.

Edited by marti124 on 08/23/2012 23:02:03 MDT.

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
They also have a PayPal "Donate" button on their website on 08/23/2012 22:58:56 MDT Print View

Joseph,

If you are not interested to pledge via Kickstarter and get something in return, you can also donate directly at the website via a PayPal button.

The Muir Project

Manfred

Edited by Orienteering on 08/23/2012 22:59:35 MDT.

Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

Locale: PA & Ireland
The Muir Project on Kickstarter on 08/28/2012 15:12:45 MDT Print View

Bump

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Re: The Muir Project on Kickstarter on 08/28/2012 15:16:25 MDT Print View

Good idea for the bump. We need to keep this in JMT-fan's mind, because they need to raise the remainder of the needed money in the next 30 days. This is really worth supporting. I donated at the JMT package level.

Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

Locale: PA & Ireland
The Muir Project on Kickstarter on 08/28/2012 15:22:17 MDT Print View

I pledged too. I think many who actually see the trailers will want to pledge too.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Muir Project selected by IndieWire as project of the day on 09/04/2012 21:35:03 MDT Print View

http://www.indiewire.com/article/project-of-the-day-a-team-hikes-the-john-muir-trail
Link.

Muir Project selected by IndieWire as project of the day

I recommend fans of the JMT or the High Sierras to support their effort. Very few days left.