Do I need a better pair of boots?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Yes 1000
(mamamia)
Do I need a better pair of boots? on 07/31/2012 22:06:37 MDT Print View

I've been noticing I'm twisting my ankle quite a bit on day hikes, most the twists are when I'm not looking at the ground/trail. I'm worried this may become a habit and I fear injuring my ankle.

I use a Nike Terahumara shoes (Nike's version of trail runner. Do I need a change in shoes/boots? or just be more careful.

What are my options for a decent weight ankle protector also if its waterproof it would be nice.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
. on 07/31/2012 22:15:08 MDT Print View

Something with ankle support would be good i agree, if your just going out on a day hike trail runners suffice. However when your out for a few days and covering unknown terrian with a pack ankle support is good insurance. I have also noticed that my joints in my legs are less sore the next day when i wear boots.

Look for something lightweight. And skip the waterproofing, that will just add weight, and when it does get wet, it will take forever to dry.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Do I need a better pair of boots? on 07/31/2012 23:02:54 MDT Print View

What about taping your ankle before trying out different footwear? Ideally that would allow you to protect your ankle while wearing your regular shoes, and hopefully you'll be doing ankle strengthening exercises at home so that you eventually won't need ankle support.

Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
Low profile on 08/01/2012 12:02:55 MDT Print View

I prefer something low profile, close to the ground, zero drop whatever you want to call it.

I feel much more stable the close I am to the ground. I do come to a complete stop though before I enjoy the surrounding view.

I'm also a pole user. Helps with those errant foot placements and when I'm tired.