good light mountaineering boots
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Rygh
(jtrygh) - F
good light mountaineering boots on 07/31/2012 20:17:40 MDT Print View

Anyone have recommedations for light weight mountaineering boots? I currently wear a pair of Asolo Triton boots that I like quite a bit, with the exception of their lack of durability (which many folks have commented on). I don't actually do any serious mountaineering, just non-technical peak bagging and backpacking. Nevertheless, I'm getting older and the feet (like the boots) are wearing out a bit, so I like a really stiff sole and the good support that boots like the Triton provide; most of the so-called heavy back-packing boots don't quite cut it for me. So any favorites comparable to the Tritons?

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: good light mountaineering boots on 07/31/2012 22:39:11 MDT Print View

La Sportiva Trango S (the red ones). The go-to lightweight mountaineering boot.

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: Re: good light mountaineering boots on 07/31/2012 23:55:36 MDT Print View

the new scarpa boots maverick gtx or rebel gtx. for non waterproof boots look at garmont vetta and garmont icon

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
+1 on the gamont vetta on 08/01/2012 07:53:53 MDT Print View

also look at the salewa ms mtn trainer mid and the ms rapace. there are a lot of boots out there that will fit your discription, the real issue is finding the boot that fits your foot. if going the mail-order route, order boots in multiple sizes from various manufacturers.

J C
(Joomy) - M
+1 Trango Evo on 08/03/2012 00:54:40 MDT Print View

If you're not front-pointing then the LS Trango S Evo is definitely the go, if it fits you. LS are generally narrow-ish in the forefoot.

Khader Ahmad
(337guanacos) - F

Locale: Pirineos, Sierra de la Demanda
Ye olde Trango Plus on 08/03/2012 05:21:44 MDT Print View

I'm still using a pair of LS Trango Plus (all leather) from the past century (resoled twice). If the new Trangos are half as good as mine I would recommend them. But if you really want to find your perfect match you need to drive to a place with many options and spend whatever time you need trying every model they have, several sizes per model, forget about mental preferences and let your feet decide. I spent two days in Madrid (3,5h drive from my home) and it was worth it.