Forum Index » Gear Deals » CCF Pads; Coming Soon

Display Avatars Sort By:
j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Insulated Ground Sheets on 09/24/2012 07:15:56 MDT Print View

I recently started bringing along the exped multimat on my trips after years and years of using inflatables alone. I fold it over once and roll it up like a burrito to frame out my pack more. It only affects my bulk if I am trying to go extra low volume like the golite ion. I like having the foam backup after having my POE delaminate on me on a winter camping trip. I can always fold the pad over 4 times for a decent r value torso mat if things get dire.

Robb Watts
(rwatts) - M

Locale: Western PA
more pads on 09/24/2012 12:44:05 MDT Print View

Lawson, I'm in for a 1/2" pad.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: more pads on 09/24/2012 15:45:59 MDT Print View

Got hold of a few 1/8" pads. They are nice. They're still in the package but I did pull on one hard enough to easily rip the other 1/8" pads I have and it didn't even begin to be stressed to the ripping point.

I would still really like a 30" wide 1/8" pad.

I do a lot of cowboy camping and having a 30" wide pad on the bottom with a 1/2" torso on top works perfect for me.
It keeps you bag clean and lets you roll from side to side without getting dirty.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com
36" X 48" on 09/24/2012 20:53:34 MDT Print View

How does a 36" wide x 48" long x 1/8" thick pad sound? I was going to be adding this size since a few hammock campers asked for something shorter and wider.

Update: The pads should be instock on Friday which means they will ship Monday.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Question on 09/24/2012 21:23:32 MDT Print View

Hey Lawson It's no big deal and I'm not in a rush but I received some items today and I'm assuming the pad ships separately? Because I did not receive it even though it was listed on your invoice.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Another Shipping Update. on 09/24/2012 21:51:26 MDT Print View

I just wanted to give everyone another shipping update. If you ordered a sleeping pad with other items they are being shipped separately, however both packages are shipping out the same day.. But for some reason USPS is holding onto some of the sleeping pads at one of their sort facilities for a few extra days... I called and talked to several people and even they can't figure out why this is happening. So with that said they seem to be arriving about 1-3 days later then your other package. Sorry for the delay and any trouble this causes.. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the business,
Lawson

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Instock Soon and Insulated Ground Sheets on 09/24/2012 22:15:33 MDT Print View

I might be up for a big ground sheet pad for my car camping tent. It'd nicely mask rocks and make walking around the tent a little less cold on my feet.

David Adair
(DavidAdair) - M

Locale: West Dakota
Re: Re: more pads on 09/24/2012 22:32:44 MDT Print View

Well since we are all making wishes to the pad fairy. I wish for a torso length pad that is one inch thick on one side tapering to 1/4 inch on the other. If I had two of them I could stack them to get about one and half inches of leveling from side to side. If I ever did get a level camp site (it could happen) I could flip one to make a level 1" pad. Having two pads means they would roll up for packing as a cylinder rather than cone. Hear me ole pad fairy and bringith forth the levevarest!

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Locale: Australia
Re: 36" X 48" on 09/24/2012 22:40:08 MDT Print View

Hi Lawson,

I'd be interested in something similar to the Exped Multimat, ie a 72" x 48" if that's and option. This would be pretty versatile as a ground sheet, a full wrap for a Neo or UL Synmat, a doubled mat for 1/4" thickness, or for me as an emergency wrap for SAR. If it doesn't work the way I plan, I can cut into three torso lengths or two full lengths.

Any chance?

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: more pads on 09/24/2012 22:45:19 MDT Print View

David, that's a good one! I'd also slice one up for insoles to help my ankles out when they get tired.

Brian Lindahl
(lindahlb) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: 36" X 48" on 09/24/2012 22:54:08 MDT Print View

I'd do full length 36x96. In winter, it'd be nice to ditch the polycro groundsheet for a 1/8" padded groundsheet. Hammock makers can order one and cut it in half. Others can order one and cut it down to their desired groundsheet size.

Edited by lindahlb on 09/24/2012 23:00:38 MDT.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Re on 09/24/2012 23:00:17 MDT Print View

And all this time I was thinking my 25 inch width pad was wide...

Charles P
(mediauras) - F

Locale: Terra
Re: Re on 09/25/2012 09:32:39 MDT Print View

Its not the size of your pad, its the comfort it provides.

:)

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Re: Re: more pads on 09/25/2012 09:43:34 MDT Print View

I totally agree with Rod Lawlor. Super wide like multimat so can even double as small tarp/blanket. All in one solution.

Nick G
(HermesUL) - F
Groundsheet on 09/25/2012 22:53:51 MDT Print View

I did a quick calculation based on my spreadsheet/R value obsessiveness and found that when the weight savings over a Polycryo groundcloth is accounted for, the thinner width of insulated groundcloth is more weight-efficient than almost any pad (third to the Thermarest XTherm and the Exped Downmat 7).

This makes me officially interested. However, bulk is a potential game changer. I'd use it in Winter only, but my winter pack bulk is a serious issue.

What about a space-blanket type reflector that took care of radiating heat rather than just convective?

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
Re: Groundsheet on 09/26/2012 10:33:51 MDT Print View

I think a good combo for that would be to laminate a Heat Sheets emergency blanket to the Evarest pad of the thickness you want.
That minimizes bulk, and the Heat Sheets reflective material is more robust and resistant to tears than the cheap mylar space blankets.

Just cut the Heat Sheets reflective layer to fit the Evarest pad in the size you want.
They should probably laminate together well if you use some of that 3M Spray Adhesive, and be real good at laying it on the first time, because you'll only get one chance.
It may be best to use an oversize piece of Heat Sheets material, glue it to the Evarest pad, and then trim off the excess later.

They will roll up together in basically the same size as the Evarest pad rolls up to.

Theoretically, that should make a pretty effective combo for the thickness involved.

I personally would put the Heat Sheets reflective barrier layer on the bottom(with the silver side facing up toward your body and the orange side down facing the ground), because those things like to have a little bit of room between them and your body, to work best.
It would also protect the Evarest pad to a greater degree.

Edited by towaly on 09/26/2012 10:40:10 MDT.

Rob Daly
(rdaly) - F

Locale: Midwest
out of stock? on 09/27/2012 07:27:50 MDT Print View

Any estimate as to when these will be available again?

EDIT, I just read your previous post that they should be available tomorrow, cool.

Edited by rdaly on 09/27/2012 07:31:02 MDT.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Instock on 10/01/2012 09:55:02 MDT Print View

They are Back Instock!

I added 1/4", 1/2" and Full 48" wide x 74" long sheets of 1/8" foam.

Thanks,
Lawson

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Instock on 10/02/2012 21:30:51 MDT Print View

You are going to fell some loven from my wallet.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
CCF pads on 10/02/2012 22:28:33 MDT Print View

Congratulations, Lawson, on the 200th post (all supportive) in this thread. I don't think any thread I've started on BPL ever exceeded 1/10 of that number of responses. If you could just find a mill that will turn out small batches of sub-1oz pure dyneema fabrics for you to vend to the MYOG community, I bet you could set a new BPL thread size record.

I ordered two of the 1/2" pads a couple of days ago, and plan to cut them down to mummy shape and stack them for winter use.