Forum Index » Chaff » Bragging about my kids (hiking)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Bragging about my kids (hiking) on 07/31/2012 17:14:09 MDT Print View

I knew I'd giving up a lot to have more children - as in freedom and backpacking, I'd say it has been worth it :-)

The summer/fall/winter/spring after Walker was born we hiked quite a bit (he was born in March of 2010). Then when I got pregnant with Alistaire last late spring I hiked like once due to severe anemia. Now he is nearly 6 months old, Walker is 2+ years old and I am having a great time!

With Daddy crossing Unicorn Creek at Rainier 2 weekends ago:
Photobucket

Alistaire in his pack:
Photobucket

Hiking with Daddy:
Photobucket

We are training Walker to hike this year. So far we can get about 2 miles of him hiking - and he leads. Daddy wears the kid carrier for the trip back. It is a neat experience to hike with little ones - we go slower but I see so much more. And I love the backpack Walker is wearing - he is carrying water, snacks, hat, gloves and jacket. It was a good buy.

And I can even get the Teen out (as in Ford, who was my hiking partner for so many years):
Photobucket

Loving that summer is here (finally) and the snow is nearly gone!

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Bragging about my kids (hiking) on 07/31/2012 17:20:55 MDT Print View

That's awesome. You'e the (wo)man!

Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F - M

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR
Bragging on 07/31/2012 17:32:16 MDT Print View

I am impressed, you have a two year old that will hike 2 miles! This sounds like a great start. Keep it going as my babies (now in their early 20's) still like to go backpacking. Best regards- Jon

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Bragging about my kids (hiking) on 07/31/2012 17:32:43 MDT Print View

Wonderful!! This is one brag that I enjoyed reading. Thanks, Sarbar.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Bragging on 07/31/2012 17:49:03 MDT Print View

Bribes go far I am learning...lol! Just like with Ford, Walker has mini-me versions of everything we do. And the promise of ice cream on the way home works wonders ;-)
Walker is a strong boy so I am using it to my advantage!

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: Bragging about my kids (hiking) on 07/31/2012 19:12:44 MDT Print View

I recall with our kids (youngest now in graduate school) that bribing was essential. They each would carry a bag of "energy" in their little daypacks (along with a stuffed animal and maybe nothing else). When they began to drag their feet the bags of "energy" (mostly M&M's, or emmy-emmy's), would come out and after munching on some they'd carry on for another stretch. Of course wildlife sitings and similar interesting things would also keep them going.

Now I'm patiently waiting for grand-children (ok, not patiently at all!)...

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Bragging about my kids (hiking) on 07/31/2012 21:43:04 MDT Print View

Great job. Keep them outdoors enjoying life.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Bragging about my kids (hiking) on 07/31/2012 22:27:07 MDT Print View

Sarah,

Heartwarming post. I love the photos with the little hat and little pack. I'm all smiles.

Daryl