Forum Index » SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » SUL in a hammock... Lil' help?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Locale: Boston
Re: No dice on 08/02/2012 16:05:40 MDT Print View

zing-it it is light and more than strong enough for a tarp, you may even be able to find another line that is lighter and strong enough.
add in a couple Dutch hooks of your choice and you have a quick, easy, and lightweight way to tie off your tarp.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: SUL in a hammock... Lil' help? on 08/02/2012 16:43:14 MDT Print View

Bryce, share your gearlist when you get it finished.

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Locale: Norwalk, CT
Hammock & suspension weighed on 08/02/2012 20:41:25 MDT Print View

6.2oz or 176g for the Grand Trunk Nano-7 hammock & 23 total feet of Amsteel-blue 7/64s for suspension w/ knots. Storage pouch cut off hammock.

Joe L
(heyyou) - MLife

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr
Carry weight on 08/02/2012 20:44:42 MDT Print View

You could order very short, therefore very light, tree straps now and have them for the trip after this one. I'm using polypro straps that stretch more than polyester, but they are lighter. Mine were an UL request from what is now Dream Hammocks run by Papa Smurf. Ask about the UL version at any of the hammock gear manufacturers. If you walk a lot of miles, your body weight might be low enough that they can sell you the lighter version of their hanging gear. If not high mileage, then your pack weight is not so important.

You could order Dynaglide now to have it on your hammock for the trip after this one.

You could order Dynaglide Whoopie slings which will be the lightest, adjustable suspension. Your Amsteel is for UL, not SUL hangers.

Bringing three ounces less food and tree straps would maintain the same carry weight as your current strapless outfit. Is there some problem with having 5.0 pounds of gear and three ounces of tree straps this weekend?

How many other trips have you done with your hammock?

Did you get to SUL with your first set of gear, or did you get lighter over a period of time as you changed your gear? The path to SUL hammock hanging could also be done in increments.

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Re: Carry weight on 08/03/2012 05:58:12 MDT Print View

I hope to make some further weight saving tweaks after this trip, but I only put this list together this week so I had to make do with what I already owned and what was available locally (amsteel).

Hopefully dynaglide is for the next trip. And hopefully I don't need whoopie slings or straps if all works out, but if I do, thanks for the tip.

"Is there some problem with having 5.0 pounds of gear and three ounces of tree straps this weekend?" <- No, I guess? I don't think I said there was, but I'd rather eat food than tree straps if you made me choose. :p

No other trips with the hammock. I'll be with a guy who hammocks all the time and with others plus the ability to go to the ground in a shelter if need be.

"Did you get to SUL with your first set of gear, or did you get lighter over a period of time as you changed your gear? The path to SUL hammock hanging could also be done in increments." <- Nope, spent a lot of coin first searching for light but bang for buck items and have slowly migrated to "just get pay and get the lightest because it drives you nuts." :p So in the case of the hammock, other than the amsteel stop gap for this weekend, I'm not looking to "progress" as much as possible. But yes, the path to SUL can done slowly if someone wanted to just like their ground game. In my case I think I can do it w/ amsteel, and now.

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Gear List on 08/03/2012 08:04:12 MDT Print View

@ John Shannon, here is the gear list again: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=8944

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Gear List on 08/03/2012 17:52:34 MDT Print View

Thanks for sharing Bryce.

John Giesemann
(johngiesemann) - MLife
Re: SUL in a hammock... Lil' help? on 08/30/2012 15:58:07 MDT Print View

Just saw this video on another thread. It shows different methods for hanging a hammock that would be useful for those like me that need to see it. Thought these methods looked very easy and useful for other situations, too. Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHuUmNOwBAw&feature=youtu.be