Hydropel being discontinued?!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Lanacane on 08/30/2012 09:09:43 MDT Print View

I think Hydropels big appeal (for me anyways) wasn't in anti-chaffing, but in preventing severe maceration of the feet in very wet conditions- for anti-chaffing I find BodyGlide adequate, but not for the feet.

Brian Barnes
(brianjbarnes) - M

Locale: Midwest
Word of caution regarding Lanacane. on 08/30/2012 13:49:27 MDT Print View

Be sure you purchase the right product... LanacaneĀ® Anti-Chafing Gel would be a reasonable substitute for Hydropel since it contains: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone (what percent?) Crosspolymer, Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch.

Hydropel contains 30% dimethicone which is a silcone substance which both reduces friction and acts as a moisture barrier. Hydropel also contains 10% hydrophobic starch to minimize the greasy feeling of its petrolatum base.

Plain Lanacane is a topical anesthetic containing benzocaine, which I'd avoid using on a daily basis as a preventive agent due to this problem: http://www.fda.gov/safety/medwatch/safetyinformation/safetyalertsforhumanmedicalproducts/ucm250264.htm In addition, this version isn't going to do what you want it to.

Also - here is a related BPL post on the topic: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=33635

Edited by brianjbarnes on 08/30/2012 18:17:37 MDT.

Hart -
(backpackerchick) - MLife

Locale: Planet Earth
No good alternatives...yet. on 05/26/2013 02:36:09 MDT Print View

Most of the products listed here are not good alternatives, IMO. I used Eucerin's Aquaphor Healing Ointment on the feet before I discovered Hydropel. It is odorless and can be used on the face, lips, etc. as well. It's a bit different than Hydropel in that it doesn't create the long lasting barrier Hydropel seems to provide.

In search of a replacement, I have recently tried Skin Strong Skin Equipment Slather and Body Glide Unisex Skin Glide. IMO, neither is a good substitute for Hydropel -- they are both thin white fragranced lotions..ick. The Slather is worse. I would go for Aquaphor before either of these.

The powder forming Body Glide is a smelly white mess that sticks to the socks.

Forget A&D ointment...you will be stuck with that smell for the life of your socks. There is a diaper rash product by Kiehl's that I have used in the past. I believe it is a zinc oxide based product. It worked OK.

Perhaps a compounding pharmacy could more or less duplicate Hydropel.
Active Ingredients: dimethicone 30%
(dimethicone 17g in 56.69g)
Inactive Ingredients: Petrolatum, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate
Labeler: Genesis Pharmaceutical
NDC Code: 64760-006

Edited by backpackerchick on 05/26/2013 02:46:14 MDT.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
ggoo on 05/26/2013 04:06:20 MDT Print View

have used ggoo on one short cycle ride as an anti chaff formula and was happy with it. longer ride next weekend with two four hour days so will see how it goes. longer term for cycling and hiking anti chaffe I will probably use an all natural product called sweet cheeks and keep ggoo for preventing feet maceration.

Edited by jephoto on 05/26/2013 04:19:20 MDT.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Hydropel being discontinued?! on 05/26/2013 07:00:23 MDT Print View

I just read the ingredients and made my own.

Works great.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Hydropel being discontinued?! on 05/26/2013 08:23:11 MDT Print View

^ would you mind sharing the "recipe"?- thanks

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Recipe on 05/26/2013 08:59:34 MDT Print View

Yes, I'd like to know how you made your own. I tried it and it didn't work very well. No amount of mixing keeps the dimethicone and petrolatum from separating. The modified starch stays mixed with the petrolatum, but the dimethicone forms an oil layer at the top of the container about five minutes after mixing. I used fairly thick dimethicone (350 centipoise).

Hart -
(backpackerchick) - MLife

Locale: Planet Earth
3M Cavilon Double Barrier Cream (Fragrance Free) on 05/26/2013 14:48:55 MDT Print View

I am trying this next. http://www.3m.com/product/information/Cavilon-Durable-Barrier-Cream.html

Here is the summary of a clinical trial by 3M. Note: they are looking at wash off times as opposed to rub off times.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UF6EVsSyXTtOxTcoXT_EVtQEVs6EVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=70-2010-8204-0.pdf/?WT.mc_id=C3SD_Facebook_SkinBarrierCompare

Interestingly, the article concludes that dimethicone concentration does not correlate with efficacy.

I do NOT want something smelly with anti-bacterial (Sensitivity to topical antibiotics can develop over time. Neosporin sensitivity is very common.) or anti-fungal agents!

[Back to Eucerin's Auaphor Healing Cream for a moment, it is readily available in 0.14 oz/3.4 g tubes. I have seen this product by Eucerin in many different European and Asian countries although it is not necessarily labeled "Aquaphor".]

I have used Badger Baby Balm (fragrance free) on susceptible areas of the feet and it does alright. Good on the hands, lips, face too. The small tin is very hard to find.] I have also used Burts Bees hand salve (available in tiny tin) and the thick Neutragena Hand Cream (Unscented). Again, OK.

I use the stuff after cleaning my feet in the evening and before putting my sneakers on in the morning.

As for reusing any sachets, one can p rick (that's a naughty word!) the sachet with a pin and use a bit of tape to cover up the hole). They are still a mess but I have found this works better than tearing off the top. Generally avoid sachets!

Here is one, I have NOT used -- Cramer Skin-Lube. http://www.cramersportsmed.com/products/training-room-supplies/skin-lubeĀ® In addition to other sizes, it is available in a 25 lb bucket! Reviews suggest it is messy.

Edited by backpackerchick on 05/26/2013 15:34:54 MDT.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
DIY Hydropel on 05/27/2013 18:07:18 MDT Print View

Cameron, I'm interested in your experience with making DIY Hydropel. I'd like to try it again myself, and, if you tried it and succeeded, a little information about your methods would be of interest to me and probably others.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Hydropel being discontinued?! on 05/27/2013 19:10:00 MDT Print View

I started with a store brand cracked skin cream that had some PJ, emulsifiers and silicone in it, that's probably the difference.

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Updates? on 07/25/2013 17:26:10 MDT Print View

Any news on whether Hydropel is coming back? Anyone happy with a substitute?

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Hydropel discontinued on 07/25/2013 20:54:11 MDT Print View

I have been looking for months for a hydropel replacement and all I have found is the "Sportsslick" Has anyone here tried this?

Ingredients:

Tolnaftate 1%
Triclosan
Petrolatum
Ozokerite
Hydrogenated polyisorbate
Cetearyl alcohol
Tricontanyl PVP
Stearyl dimethicone
Phenoxyethanol
Aloe extract,
Tocopherol acetate
Maleated soybean oil
Ascorbyl palmitate

Whup! Found the other hydropel vs Sportsslick thread....question answered.
Hiking in the monsoon season down here this weekend, might get to try the Sportsslick.

Edited by Drusilla on 07/25/2013 22:53:09 MDT.