Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Hydropel being discontinued?!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Gurney Goo on 08/03/2012 10:52:20 MDT Print View

Gurney Goo is also available in a 3.8oz jar for $22 if you don't want to take a chance for $40. I know nothing about it, but looks promising.

http://www.pxtkayaks.com/products/GurneyGoo-Anti-Chafe-100ml.html

P.S. - IMO Bonnie's Balm is terrible at preventing chafe/blisters, but does an excellent job at healing them. I had some awful chafing on a trip a few mos ago. I'm talking the kind you take pictures of and gross your friends out with it was so bad. Bonnie's literally healed it overnight. Some of the other beeswax products may do the same though.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 08/03/2012 11:08:00 MDT.

Phillip Taylor
(pxtaylor) - F
GurneyGoo - Comment from the US Distributor on 08/08/2012 19:06:34 MDT Print View

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to those that have made comments about GurneyGoo. Just wanted to comment that I have it in three sizes:

300ml (10.1oz) for $40.00 ($4.00 / oz)
100ml (3.4oz) for $22.00 ($6.47 / oz)
Single use sachets 10 pack for $15.00 Each sachet would be enough for two or three applications.

Compare this to Bodyglide which I see on Amazon selling between $6 and $20.00 per oz depending on the type, size, and retailer. It's about on part with similar products. A little Goo goes a long way.

Also understand that GurneyGoo is not mass produced in a factory. It is made by small business in New Zealand, developed by a guy (Steve Gurney www.stevegurney.co.nz), that has spent most of his life competing in extreme endurance events, so it's well tested.

I use the Goo myself for marathon kayak racing and it works well in very wet conditions...there are no restroom stops.....so that natural anti bacterial tee tree oil mixed in with it is put to good use...

Check out the info on my website and what people are sending us in feedback. http://www.pxtkayaks.com/categories/Health/

GurneyGoo is also heading south to be used on the Amazon5000
www.amazon5000.com

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: GurneyGoo - Comment from the US Distributor on 08/08/2012 19:35:35 MDT Print View

http://www.gurneygears.com/gear/gurney_goo/

No volume given on sachets, probably few ml's and most expensive option. Also hidden ingredients which would prevent me from buying it up front.

Edited by jshann on 08/08/2012 19:39:00 MDT.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: GurneyGoo - Comment from the US Distributor on 08/08/2012 19:49:50 MDT Print View

@Phillip,

Welcome to BPL!!

Thanks a bunch for sending me out some of the small packets.

As somebody who has already posted in this thread a few times I thought I would give you all an update on my very limited use of this "Gurney Goo".

I acquired some of the sachets from Phillip and have used it the last three days while out in some wet conditions - and initially around the house to make sure it did not have any adverse effects on my body.

Each sachets, as Phillip stated above, could easily be last two days if all you are doing is using it on your feet. Kind of a bummer that each sachets holds so much. They end up being more of a mess than anything. Think I will just stick with a bigger container that I repack into a 1oz container with a lid. If you do a whole body application (feet, hands, inner thighs, nippes, monkey butt, etc) than I can see a single sachet being used all the way.

How it compares:

So far I would say that it is pretty much identical to Hydropel in regards to wet feet prevention. By far better than bodyglide and that Bonnie's Balms stuff based on some very preliminary use. I went through a half-dozen to a dozen creeks and when I got back to my truck each time after the hike and took off my wet shoes and socks, my feet pretty much seemed the same as they would if I was using Hydropel.

Sadly the little sachets I got did not have any ingredients on them... so I still have no idea what in the heck is in them and how they chemically compare to Hydropel. Neither their official website or the one that Phillip has, nor any other website I can find, lists their ingredients. Kind of worries me - I would like to know what I am putting onto my feet - a rather important part of my body as a hiker.

Anyway, at this point I am going to keep using it to see how it will perform. The real test will come in a few months when the rain really starts to hit the Redwoods and every little creek here becomes a wanna-be river.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Hydropel being discontinued?! on 08/08/2012 22:12:51 MDT Print View

The nice people at GurneyGears are going to send me some to try out. I have a trip planned for ten days time, which involves multiple river and stream crossing. So a good opportunity to do a one foot GGoo and one foot Hpel test. As it is made in New Zealand it expect that it will be great:).

Mikael Akke
(akke)
Re: Hydropel being discontinued?! on 08/15/2012 00:49:46 MDT Print View

I use chamois creme, which is what cyclists use to reduce friction in the butt area. Works great on the feet too.

David Colbert
(adkphoto) - M

Locale: Central, New York
Lanacane Anti-Chafing Gel on 08/16/2012 10:10:55 MDT Print View

I tried the Lanacane Anti-Chafing Gel on a trip recently when I could find a resupply of Hydropel. I personally like it better than Hydropel. It has an interesting dry-but-silky-slippery feel to it and goes on easier. I don't think it's quite as waterproof as Hydropel, but it will last all day. The Lanacane also works great in those "other" places that need protection from chafing. Works good after the fact too. Highly recommended.

Still not inexpensive at about $10 for a one ounce tube, but definitely worth it.
http://www.lanacane.com/anti-chafing.php

David

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Hydropel being discontinued?! on 08/27/2012 18:02:02 MDT Print View

Did a test of Ggoo this weekend (one foot Ggoo and one foot Hydropel). Two half days and one full day of hiking. Feet were wet from eve of first day onwards and plenty of river crossings on day two. I inspected my feet at the end of the day and couldn't see any differences between each foot. The Ggoo is easy to apply and tea tree smell is nice. Look forward to doing a longer test. Should probably also do a test with one untreated foot. As I said before I was kindly provided the product free of charge.

Edited by jephoto on 10/11/2012 01:43:46 MDT.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Re: Hydropel being discontinued?! on 08/27/2012 18:06:51 MDT Print View

I also found this stuff from my internet searching. Had some good reviews.

http://www.2toms.com/sportshield

Ryan

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Hydropel being discontinued?! on 08/27/2012 18:10:47 MDT Print View

Very sweet, thanks for the update Jason!!

I too have been testing it, but not a lot has I have been gimped lately :(

Have you used it all for monkey butt or nipple problems?

The one thing I am not liking about it is how hard it is to wash off your hands. It just seems to be a fair amount harder to wash off than Hydropel, wasting precious water in some areas. I tried rubbing my hands in dirt to try to get it off and that was a mistake lol I have tried using wet wipes and towels and they just end up sticking to my hands. No doubt that whatever the water repulsion stuff is in it, that they are using it doing its job lol

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: Hydropel being discontinued?! on 08/27/2012 18:14:57 MDT Print View

@Ryan,

Hmm, roll on or towels only... not sure that would work out. The towels might, but no way you could use a roll on in-between your toes - unless it is a fairly wet roll on.

They also say it requires soap in order to get it off. Not sure I like the idea of that on a long distance hike. But for day hikes, it looks like it could very well be added to the list of potential/viable alternatives!! Thanks for pointing it out.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Re: Hydropel being discontinued?! on 08/27/2012 19:38:10 MDT Print View

Go buy a pair of thick rubber gloves at dollar store, cut off enough glove to keep index and middle finger together and use that over and over to apply. Place it in ziplock after application.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
what about sportslick? on 08/27/2012 19:52:04 MDT Print View

anyone try sportslick before? I've used (still use for general chaffing) bodyglide, but never have used sportslick

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hydropel being discontinued?! on 08/27/2012 20:06:29 MDT Print View

Good idea John.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 08/27/2012 20:11:26 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: what about sportslick? on 08/27/2012 20:47:30 MDT Print View

"anyone try sportslick before? I've used (still use for general chaffing) bodyglide, but never have used sportslick"

It's a standard part of my kit. Works great for monkey butt, too. It contains both an antibiotic and an anti fungal, which is great for crotch/butt related irritations.
If you order direct from the manufacturer, you can get a 3.8 oz tube for $12, way cheaper than buying from a retailer in smaller tubes. It's at least a 2 year supply that can be shared with friends. The link below will get you to the manufacturer.

http://www.sportslick.com/ordering.html

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: what about sportslick? on 08/27/2012 21:00:23 MDT Print View

thanks Tom :) I see it has silicone in it, do you know how it compares to Hydropel for feet protection from the wet?

anti-fungal, antibiotic is definitely a plus- I can see that being helpful for the feet as well

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: what about sportslick? on 08/28/2012 16:41:55 MDT Print View

"do you know how it compares to Hydropel for feet protection from the wet?"

I'm sorry, Mike, but I don't. I do very little backpacking where my feet are wet for days on end, and I have never had any trouble with my feet on those rare occasions when my feet were wet all day for a couple days in a row. Drying them out at night has always been enough. I think you guys get a lot more rain than the Sierra and, even in the Cascades, I have not had more than a couple of days in a row. So far.....

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: what about sportslick? on 08/28/2012 18:15:23 MDT Print View

it's usually shoulder seasons that I deal w/ a lot of wet feet, the Hydropel really helped your feet from getting all wrinkled (and thus less prone to blisters)-it also contains a silicone base, I think I'll give Sportslick a go and see how it does in that area :)

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what about sportslick? on 08/28/2012 18:58:02 MDT Print View

"I think I'll give Sportslick a go and see how it does in that area :)"

Would you post your experience, Mike? I, for one, would be interested to know if it works well for wet feet, just in case.

Chris Irwin
(Chris.89) - F
Lanacane on 08/29/2012 15:42:25 MDT Print View

We have something in the UK called Lanacane, it's an anti-chaffing gel. But having never used Hydropel, I wouldn't know if it's a similar product. Not sure whether that's available to you in the US?