Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Mosquito Headnet recommendations??
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Mosquito Headnet recommendations?? on 07/28/2012 14:27:59 MDT Print View

I can't get the BPL or Peter's anymore and, before I go to REI for a quick fix, what do you wise BPLers suggest? I spent the weekend at five lakes basin two weeks ago and the bugs were out in full force. I don't expect next week's trip to desolation wilderness to be any better so .... What do you use? Thanks in advance. -B

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Mosquito Headnet recommendations?? on 07/28/2012 14:42:30 MDT Print View

I was going to recommend Peter. What's going on there? Site is up. If you really can't get one from him.

I have one from him with an open crown and one with a closed top. PM me I'd hate for you to lose your sanity.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Mosquito Headnet recommendations?? on 07/28/2012 14:43:11 MDT Print View

Since I always have a brimmed hat along (Celtic ancestary and UV at 10,000 feet, you know), I used the lightest, simplest version with no brim or wire stays. Just a mesh bag with a drawstring a the neck worn over a brimmed hat. The hat brim keeps it away from your face.

30 years ago, we'd get army surplus ones into the BPing store. You could tell the ones from the British Army because there was a button hole sewn in at mouth height to accomodate a pipe stem.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Mosquito Headnet recommendations?? on 07/28/2012 14:48:15 MDT Print View

4 foot diamter circle of netting. Works if you have brimmed hat.

You can also put that over your head when sleeping

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Re: Mosquito Headnet recommendations?? on 07/28/2012 15:53:12 MDT Print View

And while Jerry's larger piece of netting weighs a bit more than stitched bag,

(1) netting weighs very little,
(2) it can be useful at night as he notes,
(3) the folds of 3 layers of nettings help keep the netting off your face.

You only have to fiddle with it a bit to get a single layer of netting without folds in front of your eyes.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Website IS still up on 07/28/2012 16:03:28 MDT Print View

I read on here that the website was down and Peter was selling on eBay, I did not see any there so I posted this thread. Turns out that must have been old info. I found the site and sent the email to initiate an order. Will let you know if it doesn't go smooth/quickly. I do not expect any issues, though. Thanks.

Katy Anderson
(KatyAnderson) - F
Sea to Summit on 07/28/2012 16:54:04 MDT Print View

The Sea to Summit head net is simple, fits over a wide brim hat and works well. Specs says it weighs 1.2 ounces, my scale say just under an ounce.
http://www.rei.com/product/780999/sea-to-summit-head-net

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: Mosquito Headnet recommendations on 07/28/2012 17:42:57 MDT Print View

My brother had to call Peter to order one.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Good to know on 07/28/2012 22:41:41 MDT Print View

Katy, Thanks for the tip. Mark, appreciate the heads up. Had a buggy time at grouse ridge/five lakes basin in the Tahoe area two weeks ago. Heading to Donner Summit/Mount Judah this weekend and don't want to make the same mistake. Might need to hit up REI while I wait on PH to get my mail/call.

ed hyatt
(edhyatt) - MLife

Locale: The North; UK
Mosquito Headnet - 23g on 07/29/2012 00:37:45 MDT Print View

I use one of these - 23g - but then I need to keep out the marauding Scottish midge..

http://www.midgie.net/

Jeff McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
Re: Website IS still up on 07/29/2012 01:05:45 MDT Print View

From Peter's website, "Here it is the 7th of July, and we are currently shipping nets based upon orders finalized 2 days ago."

Sounds like you shouldn't have to wait too long once you get in touch with him. I have the BPL version and it saved me on my last trip. First time I had to use it.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Mosquito Headnet recommendations?? on 07/29/2012 05:24:06 MDT Print View

I have used the OR Spring Ring headnet for years. I took out the "ring" and it weighs about 0.8 oz. The fabric is pretty tough.

Edited by jshann on 07/29/2012 05:30:55 MDT.

Thayne N
(teethless) - MLife

Locale: SF CA
peters! on 07/29/2012 13:10:46 MDT Print View

I can recommend Peter's! Great service, great product, great price. If you email him, he'll get back to.

Harald Hope
(hhope) - M

Locale: East Bay
peter's for sure on 07/29/2012 15:11:46 MDT Print View

Agreed, dealing with Peter Vacco Head Nets was a pleasure, everything that is good about cottage industry. His stuff is very well crafted, easily worth the $15 I'd say, detailing is excellent.

Walter Carrington
(Snowleopard) - M

Locale: Mass.
Peter Vacco Head Nets ++++ on 07/29/2012 16:27:47 MDT Print View

Peter Vacco Head Nets: They are made from tulle, larger holes than most headnets, breathes better and it easier to see through them. Mosquitoes and black flies can't get through it. I highly recommend Peter's.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Peter Vacco Head Nets ++++ on 07/29/2012 16:46:47 MDT Print View

+1000 on Peter's headnets. They are awesome!

Gregory Stein
(tauneutrino) - F

Locale: Upper Galilee
Another happy Peters net user on 07/30/2012 05:51:24 MDT Print View

I ordered 1 month ago and got it within one week (I live in Israel).
Can't be happier!
Peter's headnet! Period.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Arm pit elastics on 07/31/2012 13:32:35 MDT Print View

Mine is a simple headnet BUT it has elastics that go under my arm pits to hold the net down and keep bugs from getting underneath. If your head net doesn't heve these you can easily add them.

This has worked very well for me for years. I use a hat under it to keep the netting off my face and neck.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Update Re: Peter's Net Purchase on 08/01/2012 19:01:02 MDT Print View

So I just got an email reply to my email from Monday stating that, with any luck, my headnet has already arrived. He went ahead and sent the net I requested by email and indicated that satisfied customers usually send payment to his address or paypal address. What a wonderful business approach. I went ahead and paid, though I was welcome to go home, check my mail, and try it out first. I have a trip planned this weekend and, thanks to Peter, I'll be bug free (at least around my face and head). I was concerned, we'd correspond, then I'd pay, then he'd ship, etc. Not at all. Get you some.