Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Best 5 day hike...small emphasis on fishing...within 5 hours of Denver

Display Avatars Sort By:
Trey Williams
(ParaResc1) - F
Best 5 day hike...small emphasis on fishing...within 5 hours of Denver on 07/28/2012 12:44:44 MDT Print View

Hey Gang,

First of all, any help would be greatly appreciated. Veteran/moderate hiking skill/reasonable fitness....exploring option for 5 day hike with some fishing available, heavy emphasis on reasonable terrain(no climbing--previous injury), aesthetics and vistas, trails only as I'll be solo, perhaps small amounts of low risk bushwacking.

Love San Juans, but too far from Denver, can I get somewhere within reasonable radius of Denver and challenge what I'd experience near Durango?

Thanks in Advance!

Also, what should I limit carry weight to for prospective adventure as described?

Is it safe to bring small dog? Yorkshire/Poodle mix.. 5lbs...

Justin Baccary
(justin.baccary)
How many miles? on 07/28/2012 13:50:03 MDT Print View

How many miles are you thinking? One person's 5 day trip is 125+ miles, another person's is a quarter of that.

Trey Williams
(ParaResc1) - F
How Many Miles? on 07/28/2012 14:42:50 MDT Print View

20-40

Thanks for reply!

Justin Baccary
(justin.baccary)
IPW on 07/28/2012 15:10:33 MDT Print View

I'd look into the Indian Peaks Wilderness, which is only about one hour from Denver. Permits are required in the summer. The James Peak Wilderness is just south of IPW and does not require permits in the summer. I'm not sure about the fishing.

Mags has a good write-up on a loop in the IPW here:
http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-loops-%E2%80%93-mags-favorites#Pawnee-Buchanan-Passes

There is also the Four Pass Loop, which is near Aspen (about 3.5 hours from Denver). It's something like 26 miles, loops around the Maroon Bells, and crosses four high passes.

This should get you started...

Trey Williams
(ParaResc1) - F
Thanks on 07/28/2012 15:30:06 MDT Print View

Indian Peaks sounds great...I'll check out the permit. Loop near Aspen looks pretty cool too. Thanks again for feedback!

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Best 5 day hike...small emphasis on fishing...within 5 hours of Denver on 07/28/2012 17:23:10 MDT Print View

I would leave the dog at home.

Trey Williams
(ParaResc1) - F
Thanks..I was leaning that way.. on 07/28/2012 17:52:47 MDT Print View

Thanks for feedback...

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Where the air is thin
Re: Best 5 day hike...small emphasis on fishing...within 5 hours of Denver on 07/28/2012 20:13:41 MDT Print View

+1 on leaving the dog at home. The loop is pretty serious terrain for such a small animal. And within the wilderness area, you'd have to keep it on leash. I love hiking with my 70 lb dog, but in IPW he's a liability. I take these trips to relax, but keeping him on a 6 ft leash means I spend more time watching the trail than appreciating my surroundings.

andrew brown
(abrown3mtg) - F

Locale: High Rockies
lost creek wilderness on 08/02/2012 00:55:37 MDT Print View

Goose creek trail has an option to do a loop. Good fishing, lots to do, incredible scenery. A little over 20 miles. Close to denver too

We brought our 6 lb Italian Greyhound. She did fabulously. (But actually comes for every trip and never had a problem).

Edited by abrown3mtg on 08/02/2012 00:56:52 MDT.

Heather Hohnholz
(Hawke) - M
Lost Creek on 08/02/2012 05:45:21 MDT Print View

I second this. Getting to the trailhead is interesting, but doable in just about any vehicle. I had a great time in the area, gorgeous. Just be aware that due to the drought, water levels are pretty low and the "regular" water sources may not be there. Lost Creek was still going pretty well, but a lot of the tributaries were dried up/trickling when I went the end of June.

Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
Indian Peaks Ditto on 08/03/2012 06:15:00 MDT Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=66400

Take a look, several people fishing at Crater Lake.