Forum Index » GEAR » MLD Duomid Recommendations

Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re: Inner Clips on 07/28/2012 13:48:54 MDT Print View

Good idea, Dan! I hadn't thought of clipping to the front to eliminate the certain need for a middle clip! Thanks!

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Locale: Lost in the mountains
Duomid on 07/29/2012 05:53:46 MDT Print View

I have a DuoMid and dearly love it. Some would say that the SoloMid offers more places to set it up since it has a smaller footprint. I don't think that is much of a worry since the Mids have no floor.

I just returned from a 9 day trip on the Colorado Trail and Continental Divide Trail. I was hit with very high winds, pounding rain, sleet, and had at times limited sites to set it up.

Each night I slept like a baby, even in the middle of the storms. The DuoMid held up to huge wind gusts and never whimpered.

I set my DuoMid up with the trekking pole offset from center to give me much more room. It comes with a 6" pole extender, and my poles are adjustable, so I can really set it up off center. Also, Ron will send you two 12" pole extenders free if you get the DuoMid...just ask for them. This allows you to set it up using two trekking poles in an A-frame style (like the SoloMid sets up). This takes care of the pole in the middle of the shelter.

I use a Katabatic bivy. I too feared the claustrophobia feeling until my first night of use. My bivy is plenty big, large enough to store a few things in beside me or in the hood. Plus, it ties up off the face. The Mids have loops in the corners to tie up the bivy hood.

I couldn't ask for a better shelter than my DuoMid. I usually go solo. But, there is room for 2. I always store my gear in the Mid with me. I like having the extra room than the SoloMid, plus the Duo can handle tougher weather.

Evan McCarthy
(evanrussia) - MLife

Locale: Northern Europe
Re: Duomid on 07/29/2012 07:26:43 MDT Print View

+1 on everything Reggie wrote. I really like having the Duomid for solo purposes. I've yet to experience weather that was too much for it and I really like having the room inside for all of my gear. I even sometimes hang the Duomid with a carabiner so that there is full use of the room inside.Hanging Duomid

Phillip Damiano
(Phillipsart) - M

Locale: Australia
Cuben DuoMid on 10/15/2012 16:50:15 MDT Print View

Looking at upgrading to a DuoMid.
What's the reinforcement made off? The black patches I see on the shelter? is that a vinyl material?

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
Re: Inner Clips on 10/16/2012 10:47:56 MDT Print View

Dan, Are you clipping the four corners of the inner net to the Duomid at the stakes? Or are you clipping it to or near the webbing that holds the Lineloc?

Phillip Damiano
(Phillipsart) - M

Locale: Australia
Re: Cuben DuoMid on 10/22/2012 02:12:19 MDT Print View

Anyone?

Mal Hooper
(malligator)

Locale: Valley of the Sun
Re: Re: Cuben DuoMid on 10/22/2012 11:58:53 MDT Print View

I think it's Dyneema, but I'm not 100% sure.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re: Re: Re: Cuben DuoMid on 10/22/2012 12:12:44 MDT Print View

You could call or email Ron and ask him....

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
duomid on 10/22/2012 18:11:14 MDT Print View

I have a cuben duomid and I set it up with 2 poles and pole extenders,
since the poles are at the sides it gives it more strength in strong winds.

You can also have a company like bearpaw sew on a bug net door.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Clipping Inner on 10/23/2012 06:56:17 MDT Print View

Dan, Are you clipping the four corners of the inner net to the Duomid at the stakes? Or are you clipping it to or near the webbing that holds the Lineloc?"

I'm using clip/hooks to attach the inner to the webbing loops at the corners. By doing this, I can leave the the inner clipped into the mid for faster setup. My inner has LineLoc3's at the corners, so I can adjust the setup depending on the mid pitch, but it doesn't vary much. Some fixed length shockcord + clips would likely work well too.

Edited by dandydan on 10/23/2012 07:02:02 MDT.

Philip Marshall
(philthy) - MLife
2 in a duomid on 03/04/2013 06:22:32 MST Print View

It seems that most people here use the duomid for solo camping. Has anyone used it to accommodate 2? I'm looking for a minimalist shelter for my wife and I, cosiness is not really an issue, but the recommendation on the MLD website to sleep head to tail has me worried that it may be a bit TOO snug.

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
duomid on 03/04/2013 07:10:18 MST Print View

I used two poles in the duomid with 16 inch pole extenders from ruta locua 1 oz each. I think it makes the duomid stronger in the wind because the poles don't allow gust to punch the sides and it gives you full floor space. But even with a single pole it's good for two.
The only draw back is rain may get in coming in and out in a down pour on the front side so you move both bags safely to the back when getting in and out in the rain.
I also had a net door sewn on because I don't like inner nets which sag.
Sorry I don't have a better photo but the blue bivy laid on the floor is in middle and two could easily fit in the tent.

xx

Maciej Parvi
(MaciekP)
Re: 2 in a duomid on 03/04/2013 08:30:11 MST Print View

I'm 6'2" , my wife is a bit smaller. I have Cuben Duomid+cuben 2 persons inner from Bearpaw.
It was rather tight but no problem leaving inside together with backpacks between duomid and inner.