Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Yellowstone/Grand Teton day hikes?
Display Avatars Sort By:
d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Yellowstone/Grand Teton day hikes? on 07/26/2012 18:14:26 MDT Print View

I will be visiting a friend in Yellowstone for a few days in late August. This will be my first time there as an adult (I was there when I was 5 on a family trip). Anyone have favorite day hikes or not-to-be-missed sights there to recommend? Logistics of planning an overnight backpack will just be too complicated, unfortunately.

Another friend highly recommended doing at least a day in the Grand Teton park; how far away (in hours) is that and what would be a good day hike there if I only could pick one day's worth?

Edited by dkramalc on 07/26/2012 18:15:46 MDT.

chris Nelson
(Nel250)

Locale: San Francisco
Re: Yellowstone/Grand Teton day hikes? on 07/26/2012 18:43:16 MDT Print View

In the Tetons There are great hikes from Jenny Lake.

David Palmer
(djpfive) - F

Locale: Arizona
Yellowstone on 07/27/2012 20:23:57 MDT Print View

What are you interested in? If you can say more about that, it would help tailor recommendations. Wildlife? Particular animals? Wildflowers? Landscape/scenery? Waterfalls? Thermal features? Fishing?

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Day hikes in Yellowstone on 07/27/2012 21:47:40 MDT Print View

D K,

Some suggestions:

Slough Creek - easy hike, great scenery, world class fishery

Mt. Washburn - easy day hike, spectacular views all the way to the Tetons.

Various day hikes from the top of the Jackson Hole tram (Saves climbing 4000 feet)

Dunanda/Silver Scarf Falls - long day hike (easy overnighter), wonderful soaking pools, beautiful area of the park. Long drive to the trailhead though.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Yellowstone on 07/28/2012 23:43:57 MDT Print View

Scenery and wildlife, particularly larger animals, I'd say.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Scenery ad wildlife on 07/29/2012 07:54:07 MDT Print View

Do Slough Creek. Good chance of a wolf and a griz

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re: Yellowstone on 07/29/2012 11:45:18 MDT Print View

Thanks for all the suggestions!

David Palmer
(djpfive) - F

Locale: Arizona
Lamar River on 07/30/2012 14:26:46 MDT Print View

You may also like walking up the Lamar River beginning from where Soda Butte Creek flows into the river. That's a little bit less of a fishing mecca than Slough Creek, so you might see fewer hikers, if you care about that.

You can do day hikes in the Lamar Valley or up in the Soda Butte Creek valley also. It's enjoyable walking in those areas and I've seen wolves and bears as well as lots of bison and elk, of course.

If you do hike Slough Creek, after you get over the hill and drop into the first meadow, make sure you go over and have a look at the creek up close, I think you'll like seeing all the fish there even if you aren't a fisherman. There's another big meadow a few miles above the first one, but going to the second meadow would be a long day hike.

Edited by djpfive on 07/30/2012 14:34:09 MDT.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Yellowstone/Grand Teton day hikes? on 07/30/2012 14:47:48 MDT Print View

At Washburn, there are really some nice views. I also saw a griz and walked right through a herd of sheep butting heads.

I really liked the grand canyon of Yellowstone too. Nice falls and canyon buts lots of people there.

If you've never been to the Tetons, you should not miss them. Lots of moose there too. Not sure how much time you have though.

Edited by alexdrewreed on 07/30/2012 14:49:33 MDT.