Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Where to buy Esbit in Canada
Display Avatars Sort By:
René Enguehard
(ahugenerd) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland
Calorimetry experiement on 03/07/2010 11:19:54 MST Print View

Alright, I've run a formal test of both Esbit and the Coghlan's fuel tablets. The results are as follows:

1xEsbit @ 14g heats 1L of 15.6C water to 77.2C.
3xCoghlan's @ 16g (total) heat 1L of 17.5C water to 88.2C.

Given this, we can calculate the amount of heat output for each tablet type, per gram, using specific heat values adjusted for the water temperature. The results are:

Esbit: [1000g * 4.186 J/(g*K) * 61.6K] / 14g = 18417.97 J/g
Coghlans: [1000g * 4.184 J/(g*K) * 70.7K] / 16g = 18488.05 J/g

Considering the fact that we have a difference of less than 0.4% between these two samples, which can easily be attributed to experimental error, I would submit that they probably perform identically on a per-gram basis.

However, it is worthwhile to note that the Esbit tablets smell considerably more "fishy" than the Coghlan's tablets but leave much less residue. Moreover, the Coghlan's tablets had a very distinctive (and displeasing) smell when they were burning, left a very sticky (hard to clean) residue on the pot, left a lot of ash in the tray and are not individually wrapped. Overall, given the choice, I would go for Esbit over Coghlan's primarily due to the residue issue. YMMV.

Edited by ahugenerd on 03/07/2010 11:21:31 MST.

Todd Beal
(dragonfly.hiker) - F
Esbit no longer manufactured in Canada on 04/20/2010 11:06:17 MDT Print View

I just bought some from www.greatadventures.ca

René Enguehard
(ahugenerd) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland
Re: Esbit no longer manufactured in Canada on 07/08/2010 07:03:54 MDT Print View

After a little research, I found out that you mean www.greatadventure.ca (the one you linked to is some kind of expedition blog). Decent price for the tabs (8.38$) and 7$ for shipping, so it's worth buying a batch of these.

Thanks so much for the link Todd, I was wondering where I would find some next!

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: Calorimetry experiement on 01/25/2011 18:09:55 MST Print View

I've run a formal test of both Esbit and the Coghlan's fuel tablets...

...a difference of less than 0.4% between these two samples, which can easily be attributed to experimental error, I would submit that they probably perform identically on a per-gram basis.

However, it is worthwhile to note that the Esbit tablets smell considerably more "fishy" than the Coghlan's tablets but leave much less residue. Moreover, the Coghlan's tablets had a very distinctive (and displeasing) smell when they were burning, left a very sticky (hard to clean) residue on the pot, left a lot of ash in the tray and are not individually wrapped.

So, the Coghlans are harder to clean up after (the residue from Esbit scrubs right off in my experience) but otherwise they perform the same. Good to know; thanks for running the experiments.

HJ

Emily B
(emilyb)
Where to buy Esbit in Canada on 02/06/2012 16:37:46 MST Print View

I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone in Canada still wants the 14g Esbit, and is willing to pay the big bucks, it can be found on www.camouflage.ca for about $12-something after tax. Shipping looks to be about $7 - $9 (in Canada) depending on how many boxes are ordered. I got it at their physical store in downtown Vancouver to avoid shipping. If you want to do the same, call ahead of time-- sometimes they don't have it in stock. They told me that, if not in stock, they can order it (at no additional cost), and it would take a week or two for it to arrive at the store.
http://www.camouflage.ca/ultra_force_esbit_solid_fuel_tabs_p/uf648.htm

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Where to buy Esbit in Canada on 02/06/2012 17:08:19 MST Print View

There is an alternative in the Bleuet solid fuel now sold for less at Academy Sports and probably other places.

http://www.agsbrands.com/bleuet-large-solid-fuel-cubes-12-ct/

Edited by jshann on 02/06/2012 17:11:30 MST.

Craig Nadeau
(TacticalMountain) - MLife
Esbit on 04/23/2012 09:17:42 MDT Print View

This is from Canada - it is also on ebay....

http://www.tacticalmountain.com/servlet/the-117/Esbit-Fuel--dsh--Solid/Detail

Stuart Morris
(TheStu) - F

Locale: Victoria, BC
Cabelas on 07/03/2013 23:07:20 MDT Print View

Reviving this thread (again!) to say that Cabelas seems to carry a range of Esbit products, both stoves and fuel, at very reasonable prices. No free shipping deals and they only have stores in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba but still, seems like a good option.

Derrick White
(miku) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
Greater Availability on 07/04/2013 03:46:09 MDT Print View

In the past year I have noticed greater availability in my local area. My local outdoors store now has it and Atmosphere (SportChek) carries it. Oddly, MEC does not. Shouldn't be too hard to find though.

Alpine Dad
(AlpineDad)
Lee Valley Tools for Esbit stoves and tablets on 07/05/2013 14:47:34 MDT Print View

I noticed that Lee Valley Tools sells the Esbit Stoves and tablets (12 for $6.75).

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/mb_post_form.html?forum_thread_id=6647

Cheers

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
I keep sayin'... on 07/05/2013 21:23:53 MDT Print View

...that someone should come up with "detuned" solid rocket fuel that will use a special Ti stove to conatin and regulate teh resulting "blast" of flame.

A "Gyro Gearloose" or a real rocket propulsion scintest out there needs to begin tinkering with his chemistry set. Don't blow up the garage!