Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Poor man instaflater for synmat ul

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Poor man instaflater for synmat ul on 07/23/2012 19:52:22 MDT Print View

Materials 1 nylafume bag 1 rubber stopper 1" long 1" in diameter tapering to 3/4" and electrical tape. Drill 3/8" hole in stopper, 1/2" would even be better if the hole is centered well. Cut one of the closed corners of the nylafume bag big enough to get stopper half way out hole with out tearing bag. Electrical tape in place on out side of bag and exposed part of stopper. Sorry I cant do pics at the moment. It works great and should still work as pack liner. Weight 1.5oz

Edited by mtmnmark on 07/23/2012 21:28:11 MDT.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Poor man instaflater for synmat ul on 07/23/2012 19:57:51 MDT Print View

Sounds good....looking forward to pics later!

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Poor man instaflater for synmat ul on 07/23/2012 20:37:13 MDT Print View

For the ones that can't be bothered making theirs, you can get the Instaflator from E Bay for about $7 inc postage.
Can be cut down to half that size to make inflation easier inside a tent
Franco
(easy to figure out how to do it by looking at the Intaflator pics...)

Edited by Franco on 07/23/2012 20:38:49 MDT.

Jeff M.
(Catalyst)

Locale: Costa Mesa, CA
nylofume bag on 07/23/2012 20:46:19 MDT Print View

Also, looking forward to pictures. Any idea where I can find nylofume bags without buying in bulk? I'd like to give this project a try. Would be great if it could double as my pack liner.

Edited by Catalyst on 07/23/2012 21:10:07 MDT.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Pics on 07/23/2012 21:11:20 MDT Print View

I will try to get a friend to put up a pic or get a new camera real soon. You could most likely get someone to sell you a bag cheap on gear swap here but it took me two as I tore the first bag not cutting the corner big enough thinking the bag would stretch when the stopper was pushed in, it didnt it tore. I have no experience with trash compactor bags but they might work. Having a definate right angle corner made this an easy job. The nice thing this has over the instaflater is the dual purpose pack liner. And I also intend to use it with my black sea to summit shower bag inside as a solar water heater. BTW does the instaflater adapt to the synmat UL valve?

Edited by mtmnmark on 07/23/2012 21:17:26 MDT.

Jeff M.
(Catalyst)

Re: Pics on 07/23/2012 21:34:00 MDT Print View

You know, I'll give it a try with a trash compactor bag tomorrow and report back. Do you think it would be helpful at all to drill the hole through the stopper a little larger?

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Hole size in stopper on 07/23/2012 22:16:48 MDT Print View

I think that it would fill a little faster But it really worked very well with the 3/8" hole. Also I dunno if the stopper will stay in better or slip out easier making the hole bigger. Im pretty happy with the 3/8" hole. Also the electrical tape seems to stick very well to both the stopper and the nylafume bag I hape you have as good or better luck with the compactor bag. Oh and for UL sake the bigger hole would take off more weight.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Hole size in stopper on 07/24/2012 05:44:53 MDT Print View

You can also use a wine cork for the stopper. Might be cheaper and easier to find. You can easily shave the end to fit into the valve.

Another trick I learned for using an inflator... each time after pressing the air out of the inflator into the mat, quickly spread the wide opening of the inflator and give a short puff from your mouth into the inflator, then quickly rolling the opening closed. It works much better than trying to scoop air directly. This way you don't need much space in the shelter to get the inflator filled with air.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Cork on 07/24/2012 06:20:38 MDT Print View

I dont think a wine cork would be big enough diameter to start with but I could be wrong. I would not want it inserted so far as to mess with the flapper in the valve. I found the rubber stoppers or cork at the local true value hardware

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Cork on 07/24/2012 08:35:17 MDT Print View

I use a wine cork. It was actually too big when I first tried to fit it. I had to whittle it down to fit.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Instalflator on 07/24/2012 16:01:30 MDT Print View

Pretty cool. But the poor man's instaflator line is classic. I paid something like $5 or $6 for 2 including shipping. Didn't know I was so well off!

I think the reason for narrowness of the instaflator was so you could expand it with one short breath from 6" away from the opening (I didn't realize the distance thing at first as was wondering why it wasn't working very well). How do you fill the nyloflume bag? I had a Big Agnes Pumphouse but that didn't work very well at all.

Edited by rlnunix on 07/24/2012 16:44:44 MDT.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Poor mans instaflater on 07/24/2012 19:10:12 MDT Print View

Ya you really have to be poor not to be able to afford a instaflater. Really I was going to order a schnozzel and bag when I saw the post on gear about moisture in the synmat and it got me going. You just open the nylafume bag and give it a shake it opens right up. You can also blow into it from a distance like the instaflater. Less than two bags to fill and about 70 seconds with not much practice

Yes 1000
(mamamia)
Instaflator has a flaw on 07/24/2012 20:55:11 MDT Print View

I used mine for 2-3 times and one of seam is bust and leaks air.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Poor man instaflater for synmat ul on 07/24/2012 21:40:41 MDT Print View

"Put your lips together and blow"

Poor man's instaflator

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Re: Instaflator has a flaw on 07/25/2012 20:55:24 MDT Print View

Sorry to hear about your problem with the Instaflator. I can't say they look like they would be too tough which is why I bought 2. But for a counter point, I'm still on the first one and in the middle of the 3rd season.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Poor man instaflater for synmat ul on 07/25/2012 21:19:20 MDT Print View

I pocked a hole in mine ,long finger nail, a bit of tape (clear sellotape/scotch tape , the stuff you use in the office) fixed that.
Instapatch

Edited by Franco on 07/25/2012 23:38:23 MDT.

Jeff M.
(Catalyst)

made one, but... on 07/29/2012 01:17:51 MDT Print View

Well a made the poor man's version but ran into a problem with having too many small holes in my trash compactor bag. So I'll need to get a new bag tomorrow and another member was kind enough to send me a nylofume bag that I'll give it a whirl with once it arrives. Did you have any problems with air escaping from the pad while you were filling it?

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Re: made one but on 07/29/2012 17:24:23 MDT Print View

No leaks. The stopper I got from true value hardware fit the hole perfectly and stays in. Sorry Ill try to get pics up soon finally got a new camera but have not played with it yet works busy getting ready for vacation. Are you using a rubber stopper or cork

Jeff M.
(Catalyst)

Re: Re: made one but on 08/02/2012 20:55:13 MDT Print View

Rubber stopper. I think it was just the bag. Just used it with a nylofume bag and it worked great. Took about 1.5 fills of the bag.