Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Gear Weight Reduction Factors
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Gear Weight Reduction Factors on 07/22/2012 17:04:52 MDT Print View

My backpack gear weighs less than it did in 1972. The main contributors to this weight reduction have been:

(1) Lighter Fabric
Tent, pack, sleeping bag, clothing and shoes are lighter because the fabrics (nylon and cuben fiber)are lighter.

(2) Lighter Tubing
My tent and pack are lighter because the tubing (aluminum and carbon fiber) is lighter.

I'd like to think that my lighter gear is to due to my clever designs and selection but they only play a small part. Most of the gear I have is similar to the gear I had in 1972 but it has simply been made with lighter materials. I give most of the credit to the companies that make the fabric and tubing.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Gear Weight Reduction Factors on 07/23/2012 08:34:35 MDT Print View

Daryl. Stoves? Boots vs shoes? Weight reduction enabled other designs to be viable.

(humor in chaff has really tailed off.)

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: Gear Weight Reduction Factors on 07/23/2012 08:58:17 MDT Print View

Tim,

Stoves? My stove+pot in 1972 only weighed a few ounces and burned hexamine tablets and/or small pieces of wood at the campsite. No weight reduction there.

Shoes? I wore low cut leather shoes in 1972. Weight was saved by converting to low cut nylon running shoes when they first came out (mid 70s?). So that weight reduction was due to the lighter fabric (nylon instead of leather).

Weight reduction enabled other designs to be viable?
I agree with this. Can't think of a weight reducing example in my gear, however, that wasn't simply due to lighter fabric or tubing. My frame pack went from over 5 lbs to less than 1 pound, for example, but it it primarily due to the carbon fiber frame and lighter nylon fabric.

(humor in chaff has really tailed off.)
I agree with this one too. Would like to add something funny here but nothing comes to mind.

Daryl

Erik Basil
(EBasil)

Locale: Atzlan
OG on 07/23/2012 13:38:42 MDT Print View

That's pretty cool: you're "OG UL", having been using cutting edge light stuff all along.

In my case, I'm still using the same Kelty I did in the late 70's and early 80's, so lighter tubing hasn't had a thing to do with my "improvements". I do now carry an Optimus Crux and kit that, together with fuel, weigh less than even just the stovehead of my XGK, my new down bag is much lighter than the old one, new inflato-pad is much lighter than my orange Thermarest, new down sweater is way lighter than the old one, plastic mess kit is a fraction of the old standby and I'm saving loads of weight by eliminating my Nalgenes for bags and crystal geyser bottles. From what I can see, the techno-jump was and is in the last few years.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: OG on 07/23/2012 15:31:11 MDT Print View

Erik,

"From what I can see, the techno-jump was and is in the last few years"

I agree with this statement for sure. The less than 1 ounce affordable nylons, the cuben fiber fabric and the affordable carbon fiber tubing has really come on strong during this period. It's been fun looking at ways of using this stuff.

I'm still using a blue foam pad and I recall my elation when I stepped down (weight wise) from the heavier ensolite foam which I was using up until sometime in the early 70s if I recall correctly.

If "OG" stands for old guy I resemble that.

Daryl

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Re: Re: Gear Weight Reduction Factors on 07/23/2012 16:59:41 MDT Print View

Daryl

You are way ahead of your time. I conclude that you actually from the future and went back to 1972 to hike and probably catch some concerts you missed. Or at least one of the Daryls did this while the other one is in the alternate universe.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Humor in chaff has really tailed off on 07/23/2012 17:07:32 MDT Print View

Zzzzzz

PC would be Old Guard. ;-)

I resemble that remark! ;-)

Daryl you are the youngest old guy that I know!

Party On,

Newton

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Humor in chaff has really tailed off on 07/23/2012 17:17:36 MDT Print View

In the immortal words of Ice-T

'OG- Original Gangsta'

although at some point 'Old Guy' and Original Gangsta become one ;)
The Event Horizon

or, for Gangsta ULers, eVent Ho risin'

Wp/B prostitutes on the come-up.

I officially have no idea of what I'm talking 'bout