Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Skateboard Lovin' Ultralighters
Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Skateboard Lovin' Ultralighters on 07/21/2012 17:38:28 MDT Print View

Time we had a thread.

Just bought the new Al Partanen Spirit Animal deck. Paired with Indy 159s and black 58mm Spitfires.

The man's a beast...not to mention killing it while on the other side of 40 years old.
Here's some footage of Al with sick tunes- Hyna by Slab City:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwXNp3YskGU

(Check the backside smith over the drainage at 1:50)

Edited by xnomanx on 07/21/2012 17:41:03 MDT.

Craig Savage
(tremelo) - F

Locale: San Jacinto Mountains
Skateboard Lovin' Ultralighters on 07/25/2012 18:26:59 MDT Print View

Black Label

^black label w/ thunders & 58mill spitfires

a vid with no flip tricks & slayer... action starts @1:10

Weekend at Wade's (Speyer)

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
almost english on 07/26/2012 08:49:41 MDT Print View

Wow. It's like you two are ALMOST speaking English or something...

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: almost english on 07/26/2012 08:59:27 MDT Print View

FS smith to lipslide...

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: almost english on 07/26/2012 10:26:02 MDT Print View

BS smith to bs lipslide....

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
almost English, redux on 07/26/2012 12:02:06 MDT Print View

What is that? Frisian? :)

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Skateboard Lovin' Ultralighters on 07/26/2012 12:02:36 MDT Print View

Long time Old Timer Skater and was Factory sponsored amateur by Kryptonics wheels,Vans,Cutter trucks I skate mostly flat ground cruising now days.

Jokered my left ankle at the Clinton Keith pool ,Lake Elsinore doing a front side smith grind over rotating at the tiles. Bailed down 8 feet to the bottom my big toe said hello to my shin bone and my ankle blew up instantly to the size of a black and blue grape fruit.

I really enjoyed watching and Judging Wade Speyer in Vert and street contest he is one of the smoothest skater around. The time first I watched Wade skate at the 1988 NSA Am finals skateboard contest In Arizona.
I helped build the Half pipe and street course with Dave Crabb, Dave Duncan and Fish. It fun time and I learned a lot about building ramps and street course for CASL.

Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 07/26/2012 12:07:40 MDT.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Speak on 07/26/2012 12:07:17 MDT Print View

Tubular, mannnnn....:-)

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Not English on 07/26/2012 12:13:55 MDT Print View

English? No, Scots. :-)
One of my friends.
Dundee talk

Craig Savage
(tremelo) - F

whoa on 07/26/2012 13:14:43 MDT Print View

that is really neat stuff, terry... you guys are definitely a couple gens before me, I am somewhere in the Sal Barbier/Plan B era (as in, I landed a backside heel up a curb for my oldest son a few weeks back)

I loved skating with the older crew, everything is big... I would say with mad surf-style flow too, but they could dance on their decks like a surfer could never get away with

Leslie Thurston
(lesler) - F

Locale: right here, right now
"Skateboard Lovin' Ultralighters" on 07/26/2012 13:16:03 MDT Print View

you wanna send that energy east?!?!

Craig Savage
(tremelo) - F

Sal Barbier on 07/26/2012 15:17:16 MDT Print View

was such an inspiration and helped usher in an new age, you greybeards will dig this piece from '89 showing a bit of old with a hint of new:

Sal Barbier - Hokus Pokus (1989)

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

I was around the Sal Barbier era on 07/27/2012 11:27:02 MDT Print View

Craig,
I was around and competing against Sal when we were shop sponsored and factory sponsored then judging Sal Barbier when he turned pro. He is one of the nicest skateboarders around. Sal is the smoothest and most innovative street trick skateboarders around back then who makes it look easy and always has a smile on his face because of the fun he is having with sport/art form.

I remember the Plan B when Mike Ternasky took the whole H street team with him to evil Rocco - Mullen empire that was taking over skateboard like a perfect storm and taking down the older skateboarding industry who thought they owned skateboarding were seeing their profit fall and they did not like the direction Rocco and all the new skateboard manufactures were taking the industry.

It was fun time to be skateboard in involved behind the scenes knowing the secrets of the industry.

It was a very sad day for skateboarding when Mike died in auto accident in 1994, He was one of the shaker and mover but the nicest guy in skateboarding.

Terry

Ps: The translation of Jokered ankle is your injury is so bad the after effects will be with you the rest of your life for example arthritis in the ankle. So the jokes on you should have listened to the doctors who were constantly fixing you again. Telling you about the dangerous sport your in while patching you up. But you were having to much fun back then to listen.

Edited by socal-nomad on 07/27/2012 11:32:47 MDT.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Skateboard Lovin' Ultralighters on 07/31/2012 00:12:38 MDT Print View

I miss riding my board, but my body begs to differ.

John Cardiel will forever be one of the greatest rippers. Ray Barbee, easily has one of the most distinguished styles in skateboarding, always has, always will. Grant Taylor is a new school ripper, can and will destroy anything.

If you haven't seen Torey Pudwill's "Big Bang" part from last year, then you need to NOW! Torey's skating is the now, hands down. He is putting down tricks within tricks. So much depth to his skating.

I'm going to name drop my brother, he's no name, but he rips and I love his style.

chaves

Brother ripping

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Skateboard Lovin' Ultralighters on 07/31/2012 09:15:37 MDT Print View

You guys are forgetting the San Jose crew...Steve Cab, Jeff Kendall, Corey O'Brien....the names go on and on. More pro skaters here in the 80's heyday.....

The Faction
Los Olvidados
Drun Injuns

Craig Savage
(tremelo) - F

Skateboard Lovin' Ultralighters on 07/31/2012 15:27:50 MDT Print View

ok, ok - if we are going there, (mullen)... I have to mention Daewon Song

Daewon at His Best

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Santa Cruz on 07/31/2012 15:36:02 MDT Print View

Eugene,
Thats a great photo of your brother doing a front side ollie in the pool. Have you skated any of the mile long downhill ditches of New Mexico?

Ken,
I heard Jeff Kendall and Rob Roskopp are running Santa Cruz Skateboards now.
When I was in San Jose I hung out with Wally Sueyoshi one of my team riders for FU Skatez. I would only get up to Norcal when we had Casl contest in Atascadero to Judge and build the street course for the NSA north west amateur Regional contests.Or contests at the Powell Factory I liked hanging out with Rob Washburn and the Morro bay skateboarders.

Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 07/31/2012 15:36:50 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Santa Cruz on 07/31/2012 15:38:42 MDT Print View

Terry you are correct about Jeff running the biz. Jeff and his wife are friends of mine and live nearby. Great guy. We had a GREAT skate scene here in the early 80's