Forum Index » Chaff » CA Parks Director resigns: hidden funds

Display Avatars Sort By:
James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
CA Parks Director resigns: hidden funds on 07/21/2012 07:35:26 MDT Print View

Apparently had $54 million in funds that had accumulated and would have been enough to cover last year's budget shortfall twice over. I think about Chris Sharma who did special fundraisers when Castle Rock SP was threatened with closure. I'm sure many others did similar efforts to keep parks open.
Hidden State Park Funds

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: CA Parks Director resigns: hidden funds on 07/21/2012 07:56:55 MDT Print View

Yikes. No bueno.

How long will those funds be frozen now for investigation? Is it earning interest?

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
"CA Parks Director resigns: hidden funds" on 07/21/2012 08:27:23 MDT Print View

"The money accumulated, state officials said, because the parks department had a pattern of underreporting the actual size of the funds in its regular dealings with the state Department of Finance. Why and how this occurred remains a mystery and will be the subject of investigations ..."
The slightest bit of critical thinking would immediately know the answer to that question of "Why?" If one agency is doing it, doesn't logic tell you it is likely that other agencies are doing the same thing? Or will they try to tell us the Parks Dept "went rogue"?

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
hidden funds on 07/21/2012 10:39:29 MDT Print View

I think the $54 million will be put in to the general fund to pay off state debt. Maybe keep more profitable parks open or even privatized. The other parks hopefully will be free for our use to use the way it was envisioned to be. Let the local trail and park clubs and supporters take care of the parks and wild lands.
Terry