Solomid/inner tent vs Gatewood cape/net tent
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dennis Park
(dpark) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Solomid/inner tent vs Gatewood cape/net tent on 07/20/2012 23:29:32 MDT Print View

This is probably an old debate. Sorry if this is a repeat. I'm stuck on my next tent. I do know that I like 360 protection. I don't like bugs. I'd like to be able to sit. I constantly am changing positions during sleep. I have trekking poles and would like to avoid tent poles.

Please help with some pros and cons or other suggestions to consider.

Thanks.

Peter Griffith
(petergriffith) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Re: Solomid/inner tent vs Gatewood cape/net tent on 07/21/2012 00:29:08 MDT Print View

For a solo tent with full protection that use trekking poles, check out:
Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekker or Lunar Solo
LightHeart Gear Solo
Tarptent Notch

Pro: these tents provide full bug protection
Con: you can't separate the tarp from the bug net, so you always have to carry the full tent (except TT Notch which has a separate inner net tent)

Edited by petergriffith on 07/21/2012 19:46:41 MDT.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Re: Re: Solomid/inner tent vs Gatewood cape/net tent on 07/21/2012 02:29:45 MDT Print View

I would add the Gossamer Gear TheOne tent to the list to consider. However, GG has it Out of Stock now for awhile. So, you might find one at a good price through gear swap.

John Frederick Anderson
(fredfoto) - F

Locale: Spain
"Solomid/inner tent vs Gatewood cape/net tent" on 07/21/2012 02:39:53 MDT Print View

I use a MLD Solomid and a SMD Serenity net, or a MLD superlight bivy with my trekkeing poles. Works great. I can also use the Serenity in my Golite ShangrLa 3 to good effect, or under a 8x10 tarp.
Lots of variations for different conditions.
Good luck figuring it all out.

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Re: Solomid/inner tent vs Gatewood cape/net tent on 07/21/2012 07:49:34 MDT Print View

"... Tarptent Notch

Pro: these tents provide full bug protection
Con: you can't separate the tarp from the bug net, so you always have to carry the full tent"

This is incorrect. The Notch has a completely separate and removable interior and both the fly and interior can be used independently.

-H

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Solomid/inner tent vs Gatewood cape/net tent on 07/21/2012 08:28:05 MDT Print View

One of the Notch's most attractive features is that one CAN separate the inner from the outer! Or leave it attached. Or maybe it is the dual vestibules or the dual doors? Or the high bathtub floor or the dual vents on the fly? No, it must be the length and height that fits the tall without issue.

Dennis Park
(dpark) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Solomid/inner tent vs Gatewood cape/net tent on 07/21/2012 13:10:05 MDT Print View

Thank you for all the one piece shelter recommendations. I have the Moment and love it. I was more interested in trying out a different design out of pure curiosity, although the Notch is similar. From peoples' experiences, any really annoying pluses and minuses about using the Solomid or Cape options? Thanks.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Solomid/inner tent vs Gatewood cape/net tent on 07/21/2012 13:12:49 MDT Print View

Dennis, I have used the SoloMid only and while it was just suficiently long for me @ 6'1", I found the inner tent a bit too short with respect to usable length.

Herbert Sitz
(hes)

Locale: Pacific NW
Zpacks Hexamid? on 07/21/2012 19:29:59 MDT Print View

Is there some reason you're not looking at Zpack's Hexamid Solo or Hexamid Solo Plus? You can get them with integrated full-coverage bug netting. Unusual design but it seems to work, and you were looking for something different.:
http://zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid.shtml

Dennis Park
(dpark) - MLife

Re: Zpacks Hexamid? on 07/21/2012 20:19:43 MDT Print View

Hex is out of my budget.

Mark Fowler
(KramRelwof) - MLife

Locale: Namadgi
It also functions as rainwear on 07/21/2012 21:32:27 MDT Print View

To me the strength of the Gatewood cape is that it doubles a rainwear so I often use mine with the net inner when I am trail walking and not likely to encounter terrain that is extremely exposed or where I have to scramble. This saves me 200g as I don't need to carry a rain jacket. It is really nice being able to sit down and eat lunch under the cape in the rain. You can slip off the pack and access the contents keeping everything dry - very versatile. As a shelter it is minimal but I find it satisfactory (6ft, 190lb).

Herbert Sitz
(hes)

Locale: Pacific NW
Re: Re: Zpacks Hexamid? on 07/21/2012 23:29:46 MDT Print View

Re: Hexamid being out of budget, I'm curious of what actual price difference is between MLD Solomid/innnernet and Hexamid.

Solomid w/innernet is $315 ($170 + $145).

A Hexamid with full bugnetting is $295. ZPacks sells a cuben groundsheet for $95 which would put the combo price at $390 (295+95) versus $315 for Solomid. But it seems like you could substitute some cheaper groundsheet and still come out ahead weightwise. For example, maybe a simple and dirt-cheap polychryo or Tyvek groundsheet would work in Hexamid. Just throwing this out there; if you have any interest it could be worth checking.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
solo on 07/22/2012 11:59:17 MDT Print View

May be out of your range but I have a Cuben Solomid for sale for $300..
pm me if interested