stupid light
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
stupid light on 07/18/2012 20:51:35 MDT Print View

I've been guilty of this before - froze my aspen off when I left one of my layers home.

link : http://andrewskurka.com/2012/stupid-light-not-always-right-or-better/

What have you done?

How much is too much "lightness"

Dave

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: stupid light on 07/18/2012 21:26:47 MDT Print View

I thought this was about a crappy headlamp! :)

I haven't gone stupid light, but i did leave some thin gloves at home when winter hiking the arizona desert. Stuffing a frost-coated tent at 30 F in the morning does not make fingers feel too good.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: stupid light on 07/18/2012 21:43:02 MDT Print View

...or maybe a Steripen.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: stupid light on 07/18/2012 21:48:52 MDT Print View

"I think I'll be fine with just my 3 year old torso length piece of foam."

Yea......

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: stupid light on 07/18/2012 22:02:09 MDT Print View

Amen. It is supposed to be {{{{{recreation}}}}}. I like the term "stupid light." I read those SUL gear lists and KNOW they aren't pushing 60 years.

Good ultralight kits are big on *smart* and use the laws of physics to get maximum performance at less weight, spiced with a liberal helping of common sense.

I left my dinner at home once, but it was just an overnighter and I had my spare granola bars and gorp. I didn't forget the whiskey, so I survived :)

Ron D
(dillonr) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: stupid light on 07/18/2012 22:02:29 MDT Print View

Left the tent poles and thought I could improvise, I couldn't. Tried sleeping with just a 1/4 inch CCF pad, it was cold and hard.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: stupid light on 07/18/2012 23:27:45 MDT Print View

I have really pushed the limits of my sleep system/clothing using fire to keep me warm. I guess that is "stupid" light. It taught me a lot though. I don't really even worry about the temps getting too low for comfort unless I am above the treeline.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Stupid but light.... on 07/18/2012 23:48:37 MDT Print View

I went into the High Sierra in July 2008 right as the storms that wiped out the Mt. Whitney Fish Hatchery and closed 395 hit.

I had a small, one man tarp, down bag, and ditched a heavier GTX Paclite storm jacket for a Driducks top and a trash bag skirt to "save weight" because it was "summer".

Ended up fleeing from just above Vidette Meadow to over Forester (in a sleet/mild electrical storm), up Trail Crest (in a hailstorm, though it cleared by the top) and down to the portal in a day. Why? I tried to hunker down but winds and driven rain were so strong that my bag, bivy, and all insulation were soaked completely within 3 hours. I figured if I didn't run out, I'd freeze or get killed by a blowdown or lightning; moving was the only way I could keep warm. I'd say it ended up a good gamble; the storms kept up for a few more days- there would've been no drying my gear.

No more 5.5 pound baseweights at 12000+ feet for me unless it's a dayhike or run.

Edited by xnomanx on 07/18/2012 23:57:03 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: stupid light on 07/19/2012 04:58:48 MDT Print View

I have pushed a quilt and various UL sleeping bags too far, lately I am a lot more conservative.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: stupid light on 07/19/2012 05:07:26 MDT Print View

Just read the article, Andrew is straight up with what he says.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Re: stupid light on 07/19/2012 07:02:11 MDT Print View

it's a good article and one I'm sure most of can relate; I think it is worthwhile pushing the envelope a little to see what indeed works and what doesn't; but clearly not at the risk of life & limb- you don't need a 200 mile SHR to shake out gear

I still like to indulge in a spartan outing occasionally, but it's the exception- not the rule- ie I'm keeping my poncho/tarp it's just not getting near the use it used too :)

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: stupid light on 07/19/2012 11:27:04 MDT Print View

On one of my first hikes after seeing the "light" I skipped liner socks and just wore one pair of medium Smartwool socks with my light hikers. I hadn't developed a blister in years, but without the liners I got one on the ball of my foot in a few days. Wearing liner socks again plus duct tape on the blister solved the problem. Fortunately I was in a group of five and the other four lent me spare liner socks.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: Re: stupid light on 07/19/2012 11:38:27 MDT Print View

Mike Moore wrote, "I think it is worthwhile pushing the envelope a little to see what indeed works and what doesn't; but clearly not at the risk of life & limb- you don't need a 200 mile SHR to shake out gear."

+1 on that. Overnight trips make great testing grounds, not to mention the back yard :) Once it has passed the test at home, you can always take a backup if you have doubts or fears. That isn't the lightest option, but better than getting soaked or limping home.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
If you are lucky with age comes wisdom on 07/19/2012 11:40:37 MDT Print View

@Mike,

+1 on...

..."ie I'm keeping my poncho/tarp it's just not getting near the use it used too.":)

My hiking buddy and I were planning a trip for the first two weeks of October in southwest Virginia last year. In January of last year we decided to check out what we planned to carry in an overnight camp and hike shake down in our local state park.

Long story short, we froze our assets off during one of the coldest nights of the year. The temperature during the night dipped into the high twenties.

Wisdom?

We had enough sense after reaching our late 50's to do a trial run rather than get caught out on the trail with too little when it was too late.

Party On,

Newton

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
new tricks :) on 07/19/2012 12:53:35 MDT Print View

who says old dogs can't learn new tricks! :)