Forum Index » Chaff » Humboldt

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Humboldt on 07/18/2012 18:14:49 MDT Print View

Soooo I was on a 3 day backpacking trip in the Humboldt area.....

I SAW BIGFOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really I did. Scared the crap outta me!

What strange things have YOU seen??

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Humboldt on 07/18/2012 19:12:52 MDT Print View

You were up here and didn't call me. I could have introduced you. Where was your sighting? Up by the Klamath?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Humboldt on 07/19/2012 06:11:02 MDT Print View

actually I was kidding Ken...I was being whimsical and just came up with Humboldt. HOWEVER, if I was there I definitely would have called ya! Always open to great hiking partners

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
UFO on 07/19/2012 06:38:07 MDT Print View

My son and i saw a UFO whilst out camping one night.
A bright light was crossing the sky and at first we thought it was maybe a satellite, or the international space station.
I think it was going too fast for that though. It came from the 3 o'clock, and suddenly shot off at speed to 12 o'clock and vanished. No aircraft that i know of can do a high speed 90' turn without any banking in the turn.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Humboldt on 07/19/2012 07:28:19 MDT Print View

Don't tease me like that :)

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Big foot on 07/19/2012 10:24:36 MDT Print View

The Closest I have come to seeing a big foot. I was backpacking to the top of Mt. San Jacinto I spotted a 7 foot tall Dirty Giant Tweaker Dude running around the wilderness with no backpack and looked like he been out there for years. Then I was being stalked by the the DGTD so I had to get off trail run and evade and hide from DGTD on my way to little round valley.
Terry

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
beamer on 07/19/2012 14:39:54 MDT Print View

I ran across a tall gentleman hiking naked on the Beamer Trail in the Grand Canyon recently. He WAS rather hairy. But he was from Oregon.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: beamer on 07/19/2012 15:19:11 MDT Print View

"Don't tease me like that :)"

haha sorry....I am chuckling though!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
I've seen lots of them on 07/19/2012 16:34:36 MDT Print View

To a bald, little guy, durn near everyone is a big foot. :=(

Michael Cockrell
(CAL-EE-FOR-NIA) - F

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA
Re: Humboldt-food hanging on 07/19/2012 17:08:59 MDT Print View

What's the best "bear-bigfoot" food hanging solution?

Seems a bear keg/can would not work, he/she would just tuck it under arm & head out.

Speaking of kegs & cans . . . . wonder what the selected brew would be?

- Anderson Valley Brewing Company
- North Coast Brewing Company
- Mendocino Brewery
- Ukiah Brewing Company
- Eel River Brewing Company
- Lost Coast Brewery
- Mad River Brewing Company
- Six Rivers Brewery
- Redwood Curtain Brewery

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Big foot on 07/20/2012 09:30:07 MDT Print View

Michael posted: "What's the best "bear-bigfoot" food hanging solution?

Seems a bear keg/can would not work, he/she would just tuck it under arm & head out."

Then he will find a quarter or knife on the trail to open the heavy Garcia bear can. Or if it a Bear Vault can from hell it's really just a giant poly carbonate child and adult proof pill bottle. He will never get it open in less he wedges it between two rocks and crushes it with boulder to open it. I was almost tempt to the same thing on a cold easter sierra morning. {I really really really hate bear cans.}

Terry

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Big foot on 07/20/2012 10:35:29 MDT Print View

Terry, this kid a good idea on opening the BV500 - http://youtu.be/QyEbLfL_lSU

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

bear vault on 07/21/2012 10:56:18 MDT Print View

I did that!
I got a better idea do Bear Vault opening clinic's with the friendly Big Foots on how to open a Bear Vault with their big hands in exchange for a Pro Bar food bar and friendship.
All we would have to do is secret whistle when we needed are Bear Vault opened. Plus becoming friends with the Big Foot we could learn quite a bit about their their local woods and their history because they were here before anyone. If Steve Austin could become friends with the Big Foot why not us ?

Terry
Ps:I also will sell you the London Bridge in Lake Havasu,Arizona for $ 100,000.00

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Bridge_(Lake_Havasu_City)

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Humboldt on 07/21/2012 12:18:01 MDT Print View

About 10 years ago my wife and came upon a large strong wild looking guy next to the trail about 10 miles into the Pasayten Wilderness in Washington state. He had a half dozen suitcases with him. At least one of them was about half the size of a steamer trunk. He had a gallon size can of pipe tobacco with him, said he was out and asked if we had any.

How did he get there with several hundred pounds of clean looking luggage? Did we stumble upon a drug transport operation of some kind? Was he a criminal or just crazy? Did he pack all of this in, piece by piece, a hundred yards at a time? We'll never know.

We were tired before running into him. When we left him we had renewed energy and kept up a brisk pace until we were well up the trail.

Another time we came upon 3 heavily armed men on heavily loaded horses crossing from Canada into the Pasayten Wilderness. Said they had been fishing. No obvious fishing poles, no mud on polished boots. Again, very brisk walking after leaving this group.

The hardest part, for me, with both of these encounters was to stop my wife from asking questions. She's very curious. "Where are you going? What have you been doing? What lakes did you fish in? Where are you from? Do you plan on killing me and raping my husband?" etc.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Humboldt on 07/21/2012 12:30:15 MDT Print View

Not really strange, but I found a popped balloon snagged on some brush 7 miles in the Cache Creek Natural Area. I wonder where it floated from... all the way from Japan or something?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Big Foot on 07/21/2012 12:48:26 MDT Print View

With a size 15 ( I think) doesn't Ken T. qualify as a Big Foot?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Big Foot on 07/21/2012 13:10:10 MDT Print View

Hey!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Humboldt on 07/21/2012 13:12:44 MDT Print View

Just north of Forester at the Center Basin Jct. a family was dismantling a commercial balloon so that they could hike it out. This balloon was huge.... definitely strange