Forum Index » GEAR » BioLite Stove

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Cravens
(packpack) - M

Locale: Cumberland Plateau
BioLite Stove on 07/18/2012 13:48:17 MDT Print View

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I came across this today. Pretty heavy for a stove, but the idea is kinda cool. I guess this would filed under backpacking trendy rather than light. :)

http://biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/features/

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
BioLite Stove on 07/18/2012 14:17:46 MDT Print View

Yeah - there have been a bunch of posts since it was announced in May 2010. It looks like they might be shipping them now. I couple of BPL'rs said they've ordered one. I'm looking forward to a review.

Dan U
(danno141) - F

Locale: North Central Texas
Biolife Stove on 07/18/2012 14:22:59 MDT Print View

Kind of reminds me of the Sierra Zip Ztove, only that uses 1 AA battery to power the fan.
http://www.zzstove.com/sierra.html

Devon Cloud
(devoncloud)

Locale: Southwest
cool on 07/18/2012 14:32:41 MDT Print View

ya, heavy, but if charging your phone is important to you while in the sticks, that is a pretty good deal. I have the Mophie charger for my iphone that I usually take and there is nothing light about that, so I would think the weight would offset.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: BioLite Stove on 07/18/2012 15:03:27 MDT Print View

I looked for reviews a while back and couldn't find much about the charging ability of this stove. At best a couple people showed that it'd light up a little led or get their phone to show that it was charging. I want to see someone completely charge a fully dead smart phone.

Devon Cloud
(devoncloud)

Locale: Southwest
charging phone on 07/18/2012 15:34:16 MDT Print View

They state that the fire at full force will give you 60 minutes of talk time in 20 minutes... I know we should not take them at their word but that is a pretty good charge if it indeed will charge that fast

sorry, forgot to mention that the said that charge time was for an iphone 4S

Edited by devoncloud on 07/18/2012 15:35:56 MDT.

William Hill
(Rufty) - MLife
Charging calcs. on 02/23/2013 06:41:14 MST Print View

So if a BioLite charges an iPhone 4S for 60mins talktime in 20mins.
An iPhone 4S claims 208hrs standby and 840mins talk time on 2G. (480 mins on 3G)
(From the Battery+ app on an iPhone 4S - Apple says 200hrs standby).
Assuming they're using 2G talktime (you get 3G in the middle of nowhere?), the BioLite charges:
7.1% in 20mins.
To full in 4hrs 40mins.
Needs 33mins connected to the BioLite per day to keep topped up.
All figures rough guesstimates.