Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Headed to the Winds.. Advice?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Landon Schrock
(lschrock) - F

Locale: The plain states
Headed to the Winds.. Advice? on 07/18/2012 13:43:16 MDT Print View

I'm going out to Pinedale/Elkhart park area the first weekend of September. I was just curious if you all had any suggestions for loop hikes. I'm meeting an old Marine buddy for three nights. 10-15 mile days, nothing too crazy. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Dylan Snodgrass
(TrueNorth)

Locale: San Francisco, CA
Headed to the Winds.. Advice? on 07/18/2012 15:01:39 MDT Print View

I'll be in the winds during the beginning of August. Email me anytime after August 13th and I'll give you the low down on my experience. dylansnodgrassATgmailDOTcom

Landon Schrock
(lschrock) - F

thanks. on 07/18/2012 18:25:05 MDT Print View

I will, much appreciated.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Headed to the Winds...Advice? on 07/18/2012 19:05:26 MDT Print View

Seems everyone goes to Island Lake, if you do, get there by early afternoon, it fills up. To avoid the crowd at that lake, there are other spots on the west side, high and low and scattered, most have staked out spots by the trail in the trees on the sw corner. On the east side, there is at least one spot, not too bad. I was in the Winds two years ago, solo, no grizz or scat.
Duane

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Headed to the Winds.. Advice? on 07/18/2012 23:04:57 MDT Print View

Plantar fasciitis has canceled my trip for me this year, so I'll be living vicariously through your trip reports and hoping for lots of great photos!

It is extremely dry this year, and campfires are prohibited except in front country campgrounds with built fireplaces. So are alcohol stoves (probably to be expected after the big fire started by careless use of one in Colorado earlier).

Out here in the PNW, when fires are banned, front country campgrounds are included in the ban. S'mores allowed only on your grill at home! Interestingly, though, the ban is removed at the beginning of hunting season whether or not the rains have started. Make of that what you will....

Edited by hikinggranny on 07/18/2012 23:06:38 MDT.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Winds on 07/19/2012 08:57:07 MDT Print View

OM, sorry you miss out yet another year, maybe you can follow OR7 around. :)
Duane

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
Route on 07/19/2012 09:47:22 MDT Print View

You could always do the often posted route: Elkhart to jean lakes to peak lake over knapsak Col into Titcomb basin/Indian basin and out past Island Lake. I did this on my first trip to the Winds a few years ago and it was awesome. Caught alot of fish also. I did not climb Fremont Peak, but alot do. PM if you wnat any details.

Ben

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Route on 07/19/2012 12:04:56 MDT Print View

So alcohol stoves are banned in the Winds right now? I will be there the last week of August and was planning on using one then. I assume esbit would be a no go as well. I guess I better try and find my old Gigapower and dust it off. Its been a few years since its been used.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Alky stoves on 07/19/2012 17:53:33 MDT Print View

Alky stoves are banned right now and esbit too. I'm hoping it changes before I get there in mid-September. I haven't been following the weather there. Things are starting to improve here in Colorado with plenty of monsoon rains. I hope the same is happening there.

Landon Schrock
(lschrock) - F

Elkhart on 07/20/2012 12:43:12 MDT Print View

Could you turn the Elkhart park trailhead into a good 3 night loop. I'm on a bit of a schedule, but could definitely get four days in.

Andrew Wolff
(Andrew)

Locale: Chattanooga
Winds on 07/20/2012 16:56:33 MDT Print View

Ben has the best suggestion IMO. You can do that loop in 3 days out of Elkhart Park if you are up for it although they will be really big days, but it will put you into some of the best of the Winds and theres plenty of great side trips if you have more time.

Looking north from the Peak Lake outlet

peak lake outlet

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Drift: Fire Clarification on 07/21/2012 08:25:14 MDT Print View

"It is extremely dry this year, and campfires are prohibited except in front country campgrounds with built fireplaces. So are alcohol stoves (probably to be expected after the big fire started by careless use of one in Colorado earlier). "

The fire started by the camper who tipped over an alcohol stove was the Hewlett Fire, near Ft.Collins 7,600 acres.

The "big fire" near Ft. Collins, caused by a lighting strike, was the High Park Fire, 87,284 acres and 256 homes.

Yet another major fire burned near Colorado Springs, cause undetermined but originating in a "homeless camp" area, was the Elmo Canyon Fire, 18,247 acres and 356 homes.

Be careful out there.

...end drift

Edited by greg23 on 07/21/2012 08:39:02 MDT.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Headed to the Winds.. Advice? on 07/27/2012 20:52:22 MDT Print View

I just came back from the Winds. It was the most beautiful place I have ever been. I had no idea alcohol stoves were banned. I used one. It rained every day, too. Hard to believe it's dry. I have no advice for you regarding loops except to say that the Pinedale outfitters can help you do a car shuttle (for money) if you want to do a one-way trip. I paid them $215 to drive my truck from Big Sandy trailhead to Green Lakes trailhead. After seeing both ends of that drive, the money was well worth it.