Forum Index » Chaff » Fifth wolf pack in the local area

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Fifth wolf pack in the local area on 07/18/2012 09:41:38 MDT Print View

The wolves are going to do just fine. Five breeding packs now in the tri county area of NE WA, up from none in just a few years. Had the second livestock attack this month yesterday. First was sheep in the south end of the county, then 5 cows along the Canada border.

Watch out for your pets. Bring lots of pepper spray, they like to go after dogs on leash.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Fifth wolf pack in the local area on 07/18/2012 11:25:11 MDT Print View

That stray wolf from Oregon has gotten pretty close to where I live in N CA per the local rag, Feather River BULLetin.
Duane

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Or you could get a Hybrid Wolf/ Dog on 07/18/2012 12:30:43 MDT Print View

I kind of like Wolves since I read a book back in Junior high school. It was a story of man who was backpacking in British Columbia he became a member of the wolf pack in his adventures. I wish I could remember the name of the book I read the book three times before returning it to the library,I would like to read it again.

I almost bought a Hybrid Wolf/Dog back about 20 years ago. I found someone selling them I went to his house in Oceanside,Ca. He took me in to the backyard he had about 8 Hybrids Wolf/Dogs and the backyard was all torn up with wolf dens the wolves had dug to live in they ran a round all over the place kind of stir crazy like and the yard smelled really bad, So I did not get the Wolf Dog.

Dogs will join packs of wild canines like Wolves and Coyotes and if accepted will breed with them. I had friend who owned avocado grove in Deluz,ca. He had Coy/Dog that was pretty cool. His female Beagle had bred with a coyote when running around in the back country he had litter of puppies and he kept one of the puppies.
Terry

David Olsen
(oware)

Wolves on 07/18/2012 13:40:27 MDT Print View

As fast as they are expanding, I wouldn't doubt they will move into areas they haven't
historically been. Maybe California.

The deer herds here, white tail and mule are at very low numbers except in the valleys
where the alfalfa grows. The elk have moved into the area and the moose seem to be doing
well. Just saw two moose last week. I think the wolves will be eating more livestock
here as there are not large tracts of wilderness, but rather mostly private land with
strips of forest service land. The agreement is that when the population in WA gets to
18 breeding pairs, then the state will be allowed to have more control over how the
wolf is managed. So far only one organization that supports wolf population increases
has put any money into the fund to pay back livestock owners for losses due to wolves.
I think this will further alienate ranchers.

Edited by oware on 07/18/2012 15:37:22 MDT.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Or you could get a Hybrid Wolf/ Dog on 07/18/2012 14:02:15 MDT Print View

Reminds me of Julie of the Wolves, although that was a Inuit girl running away from home and not a backpacking man.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Or you could get a Hybrid Wolf/ Dog on 07/18/2012 14:12:00 MDT Print View

Perhaps "Never Cry Wolf" by Farley Mowat

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Fifth wolf pack in the local area on 07/18/2012 14:43:36 MDT Print View

We were camping in Pacific Rim Park on Vancouver Island and were warned to pack up all our cooking gear and food due to bears, cougars-- and wolves. There are about 150 wolves on the island, which was a surprise to me.

http://www.geog.uvic.ca/viwilds/iw-wolf.html

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"Fifth wolf pack in the local area" on 07/18/2012 18:57:31 MDT Print View

wow: 150 wolves on Vancouver Island...are you sure?

Gerry Volpe
(gvolpe)

Locale: Vermont
Sounds Like " In the Shadow of a Rainbow" on 07/18/2012 19:16:58 MDT Print View

By Robert Franklin Leslie. Alleged to be a true story by the author, definately a good read. We've even got some wolves here in the east. Last I heard they were confirmed in Maine and not too far north of the boarder in Quebec. I'd swear I saw one years ago up in the far northern tip of NH. Probably escaped from one of the two places raising them nearby but still pretty cool.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
In the shadow of a rainbow is the book on 07/19/2012 09:57:51 MDT Print View

Gerry,
In the Shadow of the Rainbow is the book. Thanks for the helping me remember the title of the book I read it 37 years ago I really enjoyed the book I will have to go tow the library to check it out..

The subject of wild animals moving back to take the land they once inhabited before urban sprawl
I think it great they are taking back their land.

Just 10 days ago my family has a yearly trip to Trestles beach for a couple days camping. I was to meet my Mom at the Oceanside Harbor. So I was walking to the harbor from the bus stop in downtown Oceanside I took a short cut trail down to the Harbors back parking lot less than 1/8th of mile from the ocean. Half way down the trail to the parking lot I spot a California King Snake. I scooped him up and caught him took a quick look took at him. Placed him down by the river were someone afraid of snakes would not try to kill him.
San diego local news stations has been going nuts with rattle snake around the beach and lagoons areas this summer.

A couple years ago for easter I took my mother hiking at the Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve in Murrieta, Ca, for mothers day. We went in the ecology center to look at animal and local indian artifacts the rangers had collected. The ranger had set up motion activated cameras on animal trails near water sources through out the reserve. The camera took a night photo of Badger in the reserve I was amazed!! I did not think Badger were in south Riverside county. Back about 35 years ago we use to ride motorcycles all over the place were the reserve is now on the Tanja truck trial.

Animals go back to were the food was when they were born and grew up they don't care about urban sprawl. I watched a show called Kangaroo Mob on PBS it was eye opener on how animals will travel to were they grew up were the food was once but now their is urban sprawl.The Australians are trying to adapted their life so both human and animal can coexist. To quit the yearly culling of Kangaroos.
Terry

Links:
http://www.rivcoparks.org/education/santa-rosa-plateau/santa-rosa-plateau/

http://www.iptv.org/series.cfm/88/nature/ep:2905
http://www.rivcoparks.org/education/santa-rosa-plateau/santa-rosa-plateau/

David Olsen
(oware)

more wolf politics, WA West side to choose if they want them, East side must take them. on 07/19/2012 17:37:59 MDT Print View

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2012/jul/19/east-side-shoulders-weight-washington-wolf-recovery/#comments

"The East Side is getting wolves without management authority whether they like them or not. West Side residents get to have a say in whether they want wolves in their woods."