Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Sawtooth Wilderness loop from Grandjean TR

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tyler H
(ctwnwood) - F

Locale: Utah
Sawtooth Wilderness loop from Grandjean TR on 07/17/2012 13:57:04 MDT Print View

I just had a great experience in the Sawtooths and want to recommend the loop to others.

I started at the Grandjean trailhead, kind of a backdoor to the Sawtooths, ideally bypassing some Redfish Lake crowds. I went up Baron Creek, crossed the pass over and continued past Alpine lake. I spent one night at the largest of the Cramer lakes, nestled under, Decker, the arrowhead and Finger of Fate. Can you say alpenglow! Returned via the SF Payette trail which is straight, downhill and kinda boring (except for glimpses of the SF and epic cascades).

My GE calculations put it at about 35 miles all the way around ( ).

The route featured countless alpine lakes, cascades, craggy granite peaks, massive piles of bear sh**, etc. The Sawtooths have got to be one of the most accessible yet rugged areas in the country. Plan a trip! I have been missing out. Anyway, some photos:

gj1

gj2

gj3

gj4

Edited by ctwnwood on 07/17/2012 13:58:17 MDT.

Christian Spilker
(cspilker)
Sawtooths on 08/02/2012 08:42:03 MDT Print View

Thank you for your great post and pictures it looks like you really had a good time. I am heading for the Grand Sawtooths trail via Grandjean this weekend and wondered if you had any further insights on trail conditions.