Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Storage for Sidewinder tent stakes
Display Avatars Sort By:
Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Storage for Sidewinder tent stakes on 07/17/2012 11:57:51 MDT Print View

Hi, I've recently purchased a Caldera Keg Sidewinder set-up. Liking it a lot, except compared to the regular Caldera set-up, I find the tent stakes an annoying thing to have to carry. I can get everything else I need into my 1.3 Evernew pot, but the stakes are rather orphaned. I don't use the titanium hook stakes for my tent, so I'd like to combine them with the kit somehow. I think on one of these other threads I read someone could get them in the Evernew--how'd you manage that? Are you using shorter stakes than what came with the stove set-up?

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Stakes on 07/17/2012 12:49:27 MDT Print View

Yeah they'll just fit in there. Put the 2 ti stakes inside the rolled up cone before you drop the cone in the pot. The hook part of the stakes should wrap around the end of the cone. This will have the stakes an incline so they fit. It's hard to really explain.....just play around with the stakes inside the cone and it's not hard to figure out. It's possible Trail Designs changed the stakes a bit though....if you really need to I'm sure you could snip a little off.

Marty Cochran
(mcochran77) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Re: Storage for Sidewinder tent stakes on 07/17/2012 17:53:01 MDT Print View

I store my stakes in my cozy.
I made a cozy by sliding my Evernew 1.3 into the leg of an old pair of Capilene 2 pants and then I cut the Capilene to get the coverage I wanted. I shorted my stakes slightly so when I slid the stakes thru the lid handle they would not overhang the pot to much. Now when I slide the pot, lid, and stakes into the cozy, the cozy holds the whole unit together eliminating the need for a cook kit stuff sack.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Stakes on 07/18/2012 17:35:06 MDT Print View

The ones that came with mine were a little long and I asked Rand about it and he said they had sent the wrong ones. I said I'd just cut them down but he insisted on sending me 2 more that were the right size. Check with him.