Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Any original ULA Arctic owners out there?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Any original ULA Arctic owners out there? on 07/17/2012 11:28:51 MDT Print View

I have a ULA Equipment Arctic pack (Epic predecessor) I bought off a BPL firesale awhile ago. I was looking at it last night and saw the shoulder straps weren't connected to anything, so I decided to connect them and try the pack on. But I couldn't find a spot to hook them on to. There simply is no connection point for them. And nothing is ripped/torn where they would normally be connected, so it's not like something is missing. The strap that hangs down from the shoulder strap that would normally be connected is threaded through a clip of sorts and connected to itself, forming a loop. So I'm wondering if, with the original Arctic, the straps simply looped around the hipbelt. Anyone know?

I'll take some pics when I get home tonight to illustrate what I'm saying.

Edited by idester on 07/17/2012 11:29:54 MDT.

Michael Duke
(mpd1690) - F
Re: Any original ULA Arctic owners out there? on 07/17/2012 11:40:43 MDT Print View

I have never seen this pack in person, but based on the pictures I have found on the internet, it looks as though you run the part that forms the loop through a small slit on the bottom of the side panel.

Edit:

Good Link for information

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews.html?forum_thread_id=7068&startat=120

Edited by mpd1690 on 07/17/2012 11:42:23 MDT.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Any original ULA Arctic owners out there? on 07/17/2012 11:51:18 MDT Print View

The straps originally attached to the dry bag, if I recall correctly.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Any original ULA Arctic owners out there? on 07/17/2012 11:59:10 MDT Print View

Michael,

That was extremely helpful, thanks so much!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Any original ULA Arctic owners out there? on 07/17/2012 11:59:59 MDT Print View

Roger,

They did, you're right, with an "in case" workaround.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Re: Re: Any original ULA Arctic owners out there? on 07/18/2012 12:25:52 MDT Print View

Hey Doug,
I have an original and have since sewed the straps directly to the hip belt. I think it is a great design upgrade. I also made a cuben drybag for it to save some weight. Here is a link.

http://www.suluk46.com/RandD%20-%20RD19%20ULA%20Arctic%20Drypack%20Mods.html

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Any original ULA Arctic owners out there? on 07/18/2012 12:28:31 MDT Print View

Thanks Steven! I think I'm going to look for a local MYOGer to mod mine the same way!

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Any original ULA Arctic owners out there? on 07/18/2012 19:18:56 MDT Print View

Doug, I have the original, too. I hated the attachment to the drybag, and couldn't find an elegant and secure way to attach the straps to the harness ( the workaround solution was a joke), so, like SteveN, I sewed the straps directly to the hipbelt. The pack is MUCH better now.

Edited by butuki on 07/18/2012 19:19:52 MDT.