Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Transferring pattern with Cad program?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jonathan Jessop
(Jonathan_Jessop)
Transferring pattern with Cad program? on 07/17/2012 11:28:17 MDT Print View

I'm new to sewing and I've never used a cad program before. I'm trying to go through the five yards to SUL articles but I'm lost on how to actually transfer the pattern from the computer to measuring it onto fabric. I downloaded the recommended free cad program but I'm unsure on how to proceed from there. The article mentions using the software's measuring tool. Anyone familiar with this?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Transferring pattern with Cad program? on 07/17/2012 11:35:15 MDT Print View

All the pieces are rectangles with a few straight angled lines

You could just measure it

Don't really need a pattern unless you're like doing clothes with curved lines

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
Re: Transferring pattern with Cad program? on 07/18/2012 10:59:21 MDT Print View

What's the 'free CAD program'? Is it Google's SketchUp? If so (and it's a very good choice), learn how to use it...

SketchUp allows you to 'dimension' the drawing; to show the distance between two points, e.g. the ends of a line. In the menu bar, the dimension tool has an example dimension image (with a figure '3'). Just hover the mouse over each tool icon until the little pop-up "what's this" box says 'Dimension'.

Then simply select the line you want to measure (mouse click), and drag the mouse away from the line. This will drag the dimension away from the line, so you can see it clearly.

Alternatively, you can use the right-click 'Entity Info' dialogue to find line lengths, and areas of shapes.

You can use the Protractor tool to measure angles.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Re: Transferring pattern with Cad program? on 07/18/2012 13:39:27 MDT Print View

Print to PDF full size. Print at kinko on 36 in wide paper.

Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F - M

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR
PDF on 07/18/2012 14:44:05 MDT Print View

FYI, not all PDF's are to scale. I used PDF's to make patterns and the print will not be to scale (24" actual 23 .8" on the print at FedEx Office). To most people this should be a minor issue but it would be conservative to add a reference line so that you can adjust the scale. My 2 cents - Jon

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
PDF scaling on 07/19/2012 12:09:05 MDT Print View

> FYI, not all PDF's are to scale.

It's more likely that the printer isn't to scale. That's the reason I prefer PostScript, as I can then add a compensating scale factor in each direction. Just to complicate things further, a printer's scaling will often vary over the page (due to the motion of the paper through the system). In the direction perpendicular to the feed, it's usually pretty consistent.

Just printing out some romer designs, so I've been through this again recently, although the code dates back to 2000...

Edited by captain_paranoia on 07/20/2012 07:53:53 MDT.

Ultra Magnus
(Ultra_Magnus) - F
DraftSight on 07/20/2012 16:28:36 MDT Print View

Here's a good free AutoCAD clone - http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/overview/

Even comes in a Linux version...

BM

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

Locale: New England
Kinkos on 07/20/2012 16:49:17 MDT Print View

If you tell the person at kinkos to make sure they adjust the pdf settings in the print window to 100% it will print 1:1 as you designed it. I used to deal with all the time in school, they typically looked at me like I was a jerk for pointing it out but I got exactly what I wanted. Adobe to printers autoscales almost all the time to 98% for printer margins.

Michael Pappas
(Mpap89) - F

Locale: bay area
this method seemed to work pretty well on 07/20/2012 22:23:47 MDT Print View

The method explained below on the second page of this thread seemed to work pretty well.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=63726&startat=20