Forum Index » GEAR » Which neoprene socks?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Which neoprene socks? on 07/15/2012 21:07:16 MDT Print View

I just bought some NRS wet socks from REI. I put some tissues in them and submerged then in water for a few minutes. They definitley did not work.
I need something for situations where it is just too cold to let my feet get wet. What neoprene socks would you guys recommend?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Which neoprene socks? on 07/15/2012 21:13:25 MDT Print View

If you want waterproof you'll need Goretex socks. The neoprene is just to keep you warm, not dry.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Which neoprene socks? on 07/15/2012 21:16:10 MDT Print View

Alright I feel stupid now... I figured that neoprene was 100% waterproof but I have actually never used anything neoprene before. That makes a lot of sense. If they keep my feet warm when wet, then they are all good by me.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
LEAKS on 07/15/2012 21:20:23 MDT Print View

You absolutely must seam seal neoprene socks. Genuine neoprene will not leak anywhere but at the seams.

I have light neoprene dive socks that I seam sealed once (both sies) in 1997 and have worn them every winter since in my heavy feltpacs. Never a leak when I wash them at home. They do get stinky after a few days and need to be rinsed out and then dried.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Socks on 07/15/2012 22:24:56 MDT Print View

The Rocky GoreTex socks are the best socks out there if you're looking at WP/B. Seal Skinz have a poor rep. I have NRS Hydroskin socks as well (certainly not waterproof, not even the neoprene as it's saturated after a day of walking in the wet). The Hydroskins play a neat role as well (keeping feet warm in the wet shoulder seasons) although I do find I get a high amount of blisters when continually hiking in wet feet as my feet heavily prune up. I'll likely try Rocky GoreTex socks + Hydroskins in challenging conditions in the future. I'm still not sure which in which order.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Socks on 07/16/2012 07:30:13 MDT Print View

Dan- you'll have to keep us posted on that experiment :) I've had very good luck w/ Rocky socks and thin merino socks underneath- this is in wet cool to cold conditions. Also no moisture above the height of the socks. If I were going to be regularly fording streams and the like I think I'd go the Hydroskin route.

Dan- did you have thin socks under the Hydroskins when you got blisters? I think if I go w/ Hydroskins I'll try a thin liner underneath.

Also give Hydropel a shot, if I know there is a high likelihood of my feet being wet I use Hydropel- stuff works :)

Mike

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Which neoprene socks? on 07/16/2012 10:06:31 MDT Print View

I sometimes use neoprene socks in cold weather. They also double as a camp shoe for quick trips in the night.

The ones I use have thousands of holes in them (by design). That way they let sweat out. They are still warm, however.