Forum Index » GEAR » GoLite Ion Alternative

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Fisher
(fishniw) - F
GoLite Ion Alternative on 07/13/2012 20:31:37 MDT Print View

Hello,

I'm looking for a new pack similar to the GoLite Ion, which are unfortunately impossible to find these days. Similar in the way of:

-minimal design (one main compartment)
-frameless, under 15oz
-preferably under $90
-dyneema material or similar
-20-30L

Is the zPacks zero the way to go? Feel free to offer any suggestions. Thanks!

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
GoLite Ion Alternative on 07/13/2012 20:40:43 MDT Print View

Zimmerbuilt.com

M

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F

Locale: NW Montana
Can you wait? on 07/13/2012 21:40:55 MDT Print View

If you can wait, the rumor is that GoLite is re-releasing the Ion as early as this fall. Whether or not anything has changed, we have yet to see.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=63906

/*/ Edited for link and truthiness /*/

Edited by GlacierRambler on 07/13/2012 21:49:34 MDT.

Nick Fisher
(fishniw) - F
Re: Can you wait? on 07/14/2012 01:09:57 MDT Print View

Aw nice. Thanks for the information. I think I might wait it out and see then.

John Frederick Anderson
(fredfoto) - F

Locale: Spain
GoLite Ion Alternative on 07/14/2012 03:18:43 MDT Print View

North Face Verto 26.
This and the Ion are my only two packs.

Luke Khuu
(ninhsavestheday)
zpacks on 07/14/2012 09:49:22 MDT Print View

I would say go with zpacks! Excellent customer service and excellent craftmenship and product.

You won't be disappointed.

Andy Anderson
(ianders) - F

Locale: Southeast
MLD Newt on 07/14/2012 13:46:39 MDT Print View

The MLD Newt is similar to the Ion.

Jon Hancock
(bigjackbrass)

Locale: Northwest England
ZPacks on 07/15/2012 12:04:43 MDT Print View

I was delighted with the ZPacks Zero I bought last year for the TGO Challenge. Coped admirably with the variable Scottish conditions. Being able to add pockets, compression straps etc allows you to tailor it to suit a little better than the Ion, too; I did have an Ion but sold it, as I found the profile a bit narrow and the complete lack of pockets slightly inconvenient. The Zero has been a much better fit for me.

Lars Laird Iversen
(larslaird) - M
Re: ZPacks on 07/16/2012 07:56:47 MDT Print View

Sorry if this is off topic, but do Zpack retail in the UK? Or the EU, at least?

Jon Hancock
(bigjackbrass)

Locale: Northwest England
Re: Re: ZPacks on 07/16/2012 10:53:59 MDT Print View

As far as I'm aware ZPacks do not have any retail channel in the UK or Europe. Certainly when I dealt with them it was direct.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
MLD on 07/17/2012 08:31:55 MDT Print View

Yeah, if you don't want to wait for the re-released Ion (and the risk that it will turn into vaporware) the smaller MLD packs are a good choice. MLD has a great reputation.

EDIT- Hmm. Don't see the Newt currently listed on the website, though. They may be out of stock or something. I own a Burn and it totally replaced my Ion- I even sold the Ion- because it weighs about the same yet has exterior pockets, which unlike yourself I do like. The Burn is 11oz and IIRC the old Ion was 9oz.

Edited by acrosome on 07/17/2012 08:36:14 MDT.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F

Locale: NW Montana
The Return of the Ion - the rumors are false on 08/02/2012 09:43:06 MDT Print View

This thread prompted me to get in touch with GoLite customer service regarding the re-release of the Ion. The rep did say that they have a pack in the works that uses a lot of the Ion's characteristics, but sized for day hikes. He expects it to be released in 2013, probably in the spring.

He did mention that there has been a lot of interest from customers in re-releasing the Ion, but it sounds like there are no plans to bring it back as of now. This point was a little vague--probably intentionally--, but I don't think waiting on GoLite for a re-release is a workable strategy at this point.

Just thought I'd pass it on.