November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
GoLite Ion Alternative
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Fisher
(fishniw) - F
GoLite Ion Alternative on 07/13/2012 20:31:37 MDT Print View

I'm looking for a new pack similar to the GoLite Ion, which are unfortunately impossible to find these days. Similar in the way of:

-minimal design (one main compartment)
-frameless, under 15oz
-preferably under $90
-dyneema material or similar

Is the zPacks zero the way to go? Feel free to offer any suggestions. Thanks!

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
GoLite Ion Alternative on 07/13/2012 20:40:43 MDT Print View

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F

Locale: NW Montana
Can you wait? on 07/13/2012 21:40:55 MDT Print View

If you can wait, the rumor is that GoLite is re-releasing the Ion as early as this fall. Whether or not anything has changed, we have yet to see.

/*/ Edited for link and truthiness /*/

Edited by GlacierRambler on 07/13/2012 21:49:34 MDT.

Nick Fisher
(fishniw) - F
Re: Can you wait? on 07/14/2012 01:09:57 MDT Print View

Aw nice. Thanks for the information. I think I might wait it out and see then.

John Frederick Anderson
(fredfoto) - F

Locale: Spain
GoLite Ion Alternative on 07/14/2012 03:18:43 MDT Print View

North Face Verto 26.
This and the Ion are my only two packs.

Luke Khuu
zpacks on 07/14/2012 09:49:22 MDT Print View

I would say go with zpacks! Excellent customer service and excellent craftmenship and product.

You won't be disappointed.

Andy Anderson
(ianders) - F

Locale: Southeast
MLD Newt on 07/14/2012 13:46:39 MDT Print View

The MLD Newt is similar to the Ion.

Jon Hancock

Locale: Northwest England
ZPacks on 07/15/2012 12:04:43 MDT Print View

I was delighted with the ZPacks Zero I bought last year for the TGO Challenge. Coped admirably with the variable Scottish conditions. Being able to add pockets, compression straps etc allows you to tailor it to suit a little better than the Ion, too; I did have an Ion but sold it, as I found the profile a bit narrow and the complete lack of pockets slightly inconvenient. The Zero has been a much better fit for me.

Lars Laird Iversen
(larslaird) - M
Re: ZPacks on 07/16/2012 07:56:47 MDT Print View

Sorry if this is off topic, but do Zpack retail in the UK? Or the EU, at least?

Jon Hancock

Locale: Northwest England
Re: Re: ZPacks on 07/16/2012 10:53:59 MDT Print View

As far as I'm aware ZPacks do not have any retail channel in the UK or Europe. Certainly when I dealt with them it was direct.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
MLD on 07/17/2012 08:31:55 MDT Print View

Yeah, if you don't want to wait for the re-released Ion (and the risk that it will turn into vaporware) the smaller MLD packs are a good choice. MLD has a great reputation.

EDIT- Hmm. Don't see the Newt currently listed on the website, though. They may be out of stock or something. I own a Burn and it totally replaced my Ion- I even sold the Ion- because it weighs about the same yet has exterior pockets, which unlike yourself I do like. The Burn is 11oz and IIRC the old Ion was 9oz.

Edited by acrosome on 07/17/2012 08:36:14 MDT.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F

Locale: NW Montana
The Return of the Ion - the rumors are false on 08/02/2012 09:43:06 MDT Print View

This thread prompted me to get in touch with GoLite customer service regarding the re-release of the Ion. The rep did say that they have a pack in the works that uses a lot of the Ion's characteristics, but sized for day hikes. He expects it to be released in 2013, probably in the spring.

He did mention that there has been a lot of interest from customers in re-releasing the Ion, but it sounds like there are no plans to bring it back as of now. This point was a little vague--probably intentionally--, but I don't think waiting on GoLite for a re-release is a workable strategy at this point.

Just thought I'd pass it on.