Forum Index » GEAR » Bare Boxer Contendor

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
Bare Boxer Contendor on 07/13/2012 11:55:23 MDT Print View

Anyone know where I can purchase one of these? They are backordered at the Bare Boxer site and also backordered at the one other place I could find via Google search. (Detour Gear Zone)

If they don't sell them anywhere else, does anyone have a feel for how long they usually remain on backorder? (Just wondering if it's a situation like the old BMW stuff which always seemed to be on perma-backorder.)

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Bare Boxer Contendor on 07/13/2012 12:12:14 MDT Print View

e mail them. I have received replies from them in a timely fashion.

John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

re: "Bare Boxer Contendor" on 07/13/2012 12:20:17 MDT Print View

I did already, thanks. It's good to know they reply quickly. (I read some old posts where people said they where not responding to emails, but that was back in 2009 iirc.)

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: re: "Bare Boxer Contendor" on 07/13/2012 12:30:13 MDT Print View

I bought mine here - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bare-Boxer-Small-Bear-Resistant-Food-Canister-Can-Keg-/261063345087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc89683bf#ht_3980wt_1298

It came out to be around the same price.

John Brochu
(JohnnyBgood4) - F

re: "Bare Boxer Contendor" on 07/13/2012 12:38:26 MDT Print View

I just ordered from them. Thank you!

Jason Cravens
(packpack)

Locale: Cumberland Plateau
buying one? on 07/13/2012 16:02:35 MDT Print View

I am thinking about the small one. It says it will hold 3 days food for one person. I am going on a two night trip, but have another person. Will the small one hold days for two people?

Jason

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: buying one? on 07/13/2012 16:24:04 MDT Print View

Jason, your question isn't answerable. Some people have dense food, and other people have non-dense food. Some people carry lots of food, and some carry only enough to get by. The trick is in eliminating bulky packaging.

The small one holds 275 cubic inches, internally. Is that sufficient for you?

If you don't know the answer, then construct yourself a cardboard box that holds 275 cubic inches and load it up with food like what you expect to carry.

The first time that I used a 275 cubic inch canister, I couldn't get more than two days or so worth of food into it. After practice, now I can get more than three days worth.

--B.G.--

Jason Cravens
(packpack)

thanks on 07/13/2012 16:53:15 MDT Print View

Thanks for the reply Bob. I realized after reading your post, I didn't have enough information listed. For two days food, I usually have the following.
- 4 packets of oatmeal
- 2 sandwich zip lock bags of trail mix
- 4 energy bars
- 4 small freezer bag dinners or mountain house types (solo packs, not the two-person)

Would this fit the small canister, and if so, would room be available for two people of similar amounts?

Jason

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: thanks on 07/13/2012 17:21:50 MDT Print View

"Would this fit the small canister, and if so, would room be available for two people of similar amounts?"

Exactly how many cubic inches is that? Did that fit into the cardboard box?

You see, there is no real answer here for your question. Only you can answer it for yourself.

--B.G.--

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: thanks on 07/13/2012 23:16:16 MDT Print View

Ok, I tried to replicate the amount of food you have but the only MH meals I have are the double serving size and I also lack the trail mix and one energy bar. I think the following pictures should give you an idea of what can be fit on the small Bare Boxer Contender.

Pic of all the food with the Canister

3 of the 4 MH 2 serving meals, 4 oatmeal packets, and if shoved, 3 energy bars and not much else.

Some measurements of the Canister.

Hope this helps...

Jason Cravens
(packpack)

angus on 07/14/2012 08:04:29 MDT Print View

Thanks a lot, that does help. I appreciate it.

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Locale: Southern California
Repackage on 07/15/2012 11:08:24 MDT Print View

I'd bet if you repackage all that, so bags of food lay flat with no air, and press down on it with a Mason jar, it would fit. I repackage food into the durable bulk food bags you get at stores like Henrys, Sprouts, Whole foods, etc. To get the air out, suck on the end with your mouth. Put the twist tie at the very end of the bag, so the contents can spread out and lie flat.

Steve

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Repackage on 07/15/2012 16:34:31 MDT Print View

You can get it even more compact by crushing, or even grinding, the food before repackaging. The smaller the particles, the more tightly they can be packed.

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: Re: thanks on 07/16/2012 12:39:09 MDT Print View

I don't have the contender. I have instead the Bearikade Scout which is about the same size (8" high, 9" diameter) has a listed weight of 28oz (about 3 oz heavier) and has a internal volume of 500 cubic inches. The Contender has an internal volume of 275 cubic inches.

The Bearikade Scout will take all that food shown in Angus's post with room for more. Bearikade cost more but you can rent them. http://www.wild-ideas.net/

Edited by Surf on 07/16/2012 12:42:27 MDT.

Ann Addison-Wageman
(Anncaw) - MLife
bare boxer contender on 07/19/2012 17:43:07 MDT Print View

I ordered the contender on July 2nd and have not received any shipping confirmation, even after 2 e-mails. No response, no reply and no contender. But, my credit card has been charged for the purchase.