Forum Index » GEAR » pillow slips...has anyone velcroed the pillow to the pad?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Shane
(drshane) - MLife

Locale: Northwest Wyoming
pillow slips...has anyone velcroed the pillow to the pad? on 07/13/2012 00:36:30 MDT Print View

I have an Exped pillow and an inflatable pad (Kookabay) and I sleep in a quilt. When I move around at night, the pillow invariably slips off the pad. I am thinking of glueing strips of velcro to the pad and pillow. Has anyone done this already?

Erik Dietz
(erikdtz)

Locale: Los Angeles
velcro on 07/13/2012 01:24:55 MDT Print View

I did this with my neoair and a small down pillow from GooseFeet. The sticky velcro stuck really well to my neoair but not as well to the pillow since it's fabric. It still works well enough to keep it from slipping at night though.

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
Yep on 07/13/2012 07:08:11 MDT Print View

I have done the velcro thing with a Big Agnes IAC and a Montbel pillow. It worked well. Currently I am using a very thin diameter length of shock cord with my pillow and am looping it under my Exped Downmat UL7. I have little hooks on each side that I hook into the holes on the corners of the Exped. I like this method better than the velcro since I don'e have to glue anyting on the pad.

Daniel Cox
(COHiker) - F

Locale: San Isabel NF
Re: pillow slips...has anyone velcroed the pillow to the pad? on 07/13/2012 07:35:54 MDT Print View

A 3rd option:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=62842&skip_to_post=537532#537532

Steven Hanlon
(asciibaron) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
3rd option on 07/13/2012 07:40:47 MDT Print View

that 3rd option is most ingenious. well done sir!

Mark Shane
(drshane) - MLife

very nice design...but... on 07/13/2012 09:06:18 MDT Print View

...my Exped pillow doesn't have those nice corner attachment points

Mark Shane
(drshane) - MLife

Re: Yep on 07/13/2012 09:09:05 MDT Print View

Ben...how much velcro did you need to make it work? I am guessing it would only take a inch square on the 4 corners of the pillow to hold during the night. What was your experience?

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: very nice design...but... on 07/13/2012 09:13:01 MDT Print View

mark, I added a piece of Tenacious tape to each of my lower corners and punched a hole to make tabs on my exped pillow. just be careful to have enough tape off the pillow so you have enough space for the hole.

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

velcro on 07/13/2012 10:39:25 MDT Print View

Mark
I used 2 strips about 3-4 inches when I did the velcro.

Edited by bwortman on 07/13/2012 10:40:08 MDT.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Teeny shock cord with hooks on 07/14/2012 17:04:01 MDT Print View

Ben, where did you find hooks that would attach to tiny shock cord? I've been looking for some, and haven't been able to find anything that works with smaller than 1/4" diameter.

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

hooks on 07/14/2012 19:15:08 MDT Print View

Diane
I just had them lying around. They are ITW brand I think.

Send me a PM if you want a couple.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: pillow slips...has anyone velcroed the pillow to the pad? on 07/15/2012 18:50:45 MDT Print View

I glued velcro to my pad and sewed it to the clothing stuffsack I use for a pillow. I sewed some pieces of grosgrain ribbon to the sack and sewed the velcro to that so that the velcro is on the underside of the pad and my weight helps keep it stuck together. Used Seam Grip as the adhesive - sticks very well to nylon fabric.