Best liner for quilt
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Byers
(JasonB) - F

Locale: Western NC
Best liner for quilt on 07/12/2012 19:11:23 MDT Print View

I just built a m50 2.5 apex quilt. It was my first MYOG project and it turned out nice. There was a few things I would have done different if I made another so...I'm giving it another go. The m50 is really nice fabric but I'm wanting something a little softer feeling for the liner and I'm actually thinking of making the whole shell out of 8d. I'm not concerned with the waterproofness of the shell but I do want a better feeling material for the liner. Will I honestly feel significant difference between the two as far as how it feels against the skin. I've heard a few folks on here praise the stuff in the past but it seems like backpacking tech changes quickly so if there is a better option than 8d for the money I'd like to hear about it. Thanks ahead.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Best liner for quilt on 07/12/2012 21:34:32 MDT Print View

You will totally notice. "8d" is silk man I love it.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
8d on 07/12/2012 21:51:53 MDT Print View

You'll definitely feel the difference.....it's way different. If you're okay with a moderate amount of down/feather leakage then you'll love the stuff. I wouldn't do the shell though.....no real point in trading water repellancy and downproof-ness when you won't even be touching the fabric.

Josh Leavitt
(Joshleavitt) - F

Locale: Ruta Locura
Liner fabric on 07/12/2012 22:06:05 MDT Print View

TiGoat "8d" now called "nobull", has a much preffered hand for liner fabric. TiGoat also has a version of this fabric that is more water resistant, but still has the nice face. You can go with that for the shell, or build the whole thing with it. This newer version is not on the website yet, but I'm pestering DJ to get it up there, he has been very busy though.

Jason Byers
(JasonB) - F

Locale: Western NC
Another question on 07/13/2012 06:52:52 MDT Print View

Thanks guys I just ordered a bunch of the grey eightD from TiGoat. Thanks a lot for the help. I know this changes the subject but I'm thinking of just sewing the quilt 54" wide without tapering this time. Will there be any serious weight penalty in doing this? My m50 quilt is 78" long 54" top and 44" bottom with the taper starting half way down and the weight is 12.8oz. This quilt I plan on 78" by 54" no taper. Also will this affect the usage of the footbox when fastened up? Thanks guys.