BPL MYOG Project: Open Jet Alcohol Stove
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jay Ham
(jham) - F - M

Locale: Southwest
MYOG Alcohol stove multiple replies on 06/06/2005 23:20:36 MDT Print View

Reply to Simmer Ring

Brad,
The article we referred to about baking with small strips of aluminum can is found by following this link.

Backpacking Food List: Protein-Powered Food for Sustained Energy

It is true that I only get about 10 to 12 minutes on 1 fl oz of alcohol. I find that this is enough for two standard sized muffins if I leave them in the pot for a while after the stove extinguishes. I will give a simmer ring another try sometime.

Reply to Thoughts on a windscreen?

Jack,
I am aware that the stove is only half the story, and we are working on a three part series; stove, pot stand, and windscreen. Actually, I think the windscreen, as simple as it is, has a huge effect on stove performance. We have to put the stove first though. The size of the stove determines the size of the pot stand, which affects the height of the windscreen. The other articles are in the works.

Reply to cutting bottom out of soda cans

John,
Thanks for posting the video. I thought it showed some of what I tried to describe very well. It is a different type of stove, but much of the assembly is similar. Thanks!

Reply to why not punch the jet holes before cutting the fill hole?

Jim,
Why not? I showed starting with the bottom, but you could start with the holes just as easily. To answer your question, I never had trouble with the bottom collapsing. I suppose the bottom rim adds enough stability to keep the bottom from collapsing. Also the metal is very thin and punctures easier than you might think.

Here’s a word of advise (and unfortunately, an experienced word) Don’t wait until the end to punch your holes, after you have glued the whole thing together. Having done that before, I know the feeling of seeing the needle punch through the inner wall. Not very nice. BTW, you can fix just about anything with JB Weld; the duck tape for high temps.

Reply to Great looking helper
Thanks Mom.

Edited by jham on 06/06/2005 23:33:00 MDT.

Al Shaver
(Al_T.Tude) - F - M

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast
Dry Baking on 06/07/2005 01:30:57 MDT Print View

My experience with lightweight backcountry baking is similar to the above dry baking example with the nice photo spread. Once you get rid of the water you can get temperatures inside the outer pot well above the water limited 90-100 degrees C and start doing real baking. I carry 2 nesting pots and place 1/4" long pieces of copper tubing between them to create an air gap to prevent the bottom of the baked good from burning. I keep the fuel pressure very low on my MSR Whisperlite stove to facilitate simmering and I set a modified soup can lid on the burner to diffuse heat. A pot cozy increases effiency, but is optional. With this set-up I have baked healthy sized loaves of wheat and honey-wheat bread- both quick bread and yeast bread (which I rise in my sleeping bag), birthday cakes made right out of the box (with or without oil and eggs) etc. I highly recommend getting away from the bakepacker mentality. Free your pot (of water) and free your mind!
BTW: Silicon is an element that appears in sand and computer chips. Silicone is a rubbery, high temperature material that appears in flexible baking dishes and Pamela Anderson sitcoms.
Cheers Al

John austin
(tinny) - F
Baking while backpacking on 06/12/2005 19:37:42 MDT Print View

I agree that dry baking seems much more efficient. i have a video showing how I bake with a walmart grease pan and stealth stove i think it runs about 3 minutes and shows some tricks you may not have thought of. Go to www.minibulldesign.com and click on the video link--the clip is baking

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Pot Stand/Windscreen Instructions on 07/03/2005 19:54:12 MDT Print View

Hi everyone,

If you have an alocohol stove and would like a simple, stable, and compact windscreen/pot stand please see the following...

http://caseyandemily.com/Backpack/2005JunPotStandWindscreen/2005JunKitchen.htm

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
four times on 02/18/2007 07:57:01 MST Print View

It took me four tries, but I was able to make a fantastic stove. My first three attempts obviously did not have good seals and kinda worked. It was not clear to me until I tested #4 and saw the jets take off. Wow, pretty cool!

Thanks for the excellent detailed instructions that a poor soul like me could follow (even if it took 4 shots).