Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Map and Compass: A City-girl Walks Western Wilderness

Display Avatars Sort By:
Maia
(maia) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Map and Compass: A City-girl Walks Western Wilderness on 07/10/2012 16:09:58 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Map and Compass: A City-girl Walks Western Wilderness

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Map and Compass: A City-girl Walks Western Wilderness on 07/10/2012 16:29:34 MDT Print View

A good read and good pics. Thanks, Anne!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Map and Compass: A City-girl Walks Western Wilderness on 07/10/2012 17:06:30 MDT Print View

Great story, thanks

The longest I go is 5 nights... Hmmm...

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
LD hikes on 07/10/2012 22:54:47 MDT Print View

Super Pix! Toally psyched me for this summer's upcoming hike.
But will never understand how you folks have the will power to go out there for so long.
Long or short, good hiking!

what not
(firestarter01)

Locale: Bay Area
New to BL on 07/10/2012 23:24:18 MDT Print View

Great article and pics, I one day hope to begin a long distance hike (maybe the PCT). In the last image your pack looks quite small and I'm wondering what kind of tent, sleeping bag, and food you carry?

Keep it up,

a b
(Ice-axe)
Re: Map and Compass: A City-girl Walks Western Wilderness on 07/10/2012 23:32:26 MDT Print View

Great thread and difficult for me to read, not because of the way it was written, but because it hits so close to home.
The trail is waiting for you.
Go out and find your trail.
Cheers!

Dambara Begley
(dambara)
Map and Compass: A City-girl Walks Western Wilderness on 07/11/2012 11:20:53 MDT Print View

Great article, Anne! Yup, conflicted, as I'm finally going to do the JMT this August--and, like you describe, have visualized longingly doing the PCT for some years. Turning 60 this year, but--hope springs eternal! Thanks for your heart, humor, good writing and beautiful photos. Peace, Dambara Begley

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Map and Compass: A City-girl Walks Western Wilderness on 07/11/2012 11:35:55 MDT Print View

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I was reminded of the old Jansport advertisements that said, "Get out, while you can!"

I wonder if through-hiking creates "trail bums", as with surfing or skiing, looking for that peak experience, over and over again (no pun intended). I don't know how through-hikers adjust to being back in the city afters months of being in the wilderness. It's bad enough after a weekend, let alone many months!

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Post-Trail on 07/11/2012 11:44:20 MDT Print View

"I wonder if through-hiking creates "trail bums", as with surfing or skiing, looking for that peak experience, over and over again (no pun intended). I don't know how through-hikers adjust to being back in the city afters months of being in the wilderness. It's bad enough after a weekend, let alone many months!"

It can. Oh it can. :)
Post Trail re-adjustment

Really need to update the doc as things have changed even since I wrote it (I'm engaged, in 'career' mode for the next few years, but still planning to get out there again for 2 months in well, 2-3 years. )

Still..once a bum, always a bum. :)

John Reichle
(mammoman) - M

Locale: NE AL
long trails on 07/11/2012 14:43:18 MDT Print View

Great article....I've been feeling the same "call" for a while now, and thus I am going for my B.A. this fall....or should I say associates degree anyway as it's the Foothills Trail. Might be the start of something though.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
neato! on 07/11/2012 22:50:08 MDT Print View

Anne, you are a pleasure to read. Was kinda bummed when it was over. But I do hope you go on your CDT adventure and that it'll be everything you hoped it would be. And I admire your resolve in quitting your job to follow passion. Few folks have realized that and they are almost certainly less for it. I know I'd be if I hadn't surfed every day for a number of years and worked sometimes when I had to. I remember coming home from the beach hearing the wind and birds in the trees. The days lazily going by and taking naps after long sessions of fun glassy waves. I'm really glad for, and still fondly remember, those times. I know what it feels like to not be under the pressures of everyday work life and I hope to again experience that in retirement as well. Thanks for helping me recall some very pleasant memories and know that I'll be creating more as time go on.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: neato! on 07/13/2012 20:26:59 MDT Print View

fantstic article. Thank you for writing such a well written story.

Gus Lott
(gklott) - MLife

Locale: Texas Hill Country
Go for it on 07/14/2012 05:38:47 MDT Print View

Thanks for sharing. Look forward to reading more of your adventures.

John Gilbert
(JohnG10) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
gear list on 07/16/2012 09:15:45 MDT Print View

Great article. Very inspiring.
Can you post your gear list, or at least the highlights and insights about your choices?
Thanks.